PDA

View Full Version : Basics: What I should have known Earlier

Emil
09-17-2008, 03:53 AM
What I should have known/realized much Earlier

I can’t believe it took me so long to utilize the ‘Advance into more dangerous territory (+1 location level)’.

This is an awesome option that allows one to garner more exp and gold per AP.

So say you’re level 20 – and have +15% gear vs. level 20 monsters – instead of fighting level 20 monsters you can fight level 21,22,23,24, etc… Sure – more risk, but of course greater rewards.

Well at least I finally learned this – it just took me a long time. Thought I would share my mistake so others don’t forget to use this option.

mechagigan
09-17-2008, 07:22 AM
I have been using it for a while now and it is pretty helpful and it lets you get into high level sub domains which is dangerous but still fun =P. I use it on my lvl43 Bone Lord, usually go up a few levels for that little bit extra exp and gold from my 25AP. Good times. =)

darqwulf0911
09-18-2008, 01:37 AM
I usually only advance (1) level higher .. ie, 345653 to level 32 .. so I advance to level 32 .. I prefer to use the "explore" option to harvest and to gain subloc's .. :)

Also you tend to die less that way .. :D

Oh and one other thing I tend to do .. when my wounds turn red, I turn back .. I know that there's (5) wounds left, but I've been in too many random boss fights and sustained .. (5) wounds!!! :)

tmyoungjr
09-18-2008, 10:16 AM
I usually only advance (1) level higher .. ie, 345653 to level 32 .. so I advance to level 32 .. I prefer to use the "explore" option to harvest and to gain subloc's .. :)

Also you tend to die less that way .. :D

Oh and one other thing I tend to do .. when my wounds turn red, I turn back .. I know that there's (5) wounds left, but I've been in too many random boss fights and sustained .. (5) wounds!!! :)

my biggest problem with advancing that way is you level fast. but you dont gain huge increases in your cash flow (sure its a bit better but not hugely). so when you hit 50 - you're going to need piles of cash and generally you wont have it.

loimprevisto
09-19-2008, 01:00 AM
But you hit level 50 earlier. Now it will be easier to *get* the cash, even if you're hunting an area 4 levels lower than you.

Aelein
09-27-2008, 02:38 AM
I generally tend to stick to no more than three levels above me.
Then, if I hit upon a sub-loc that has a max level that's higher than three above mine, I just let it sit there until I level up. That way, I build up the number of exploration points for that area when I keep "discovering" the area again and again; then I've got more chance of happening upon bosses.
Yes, I've died numerous times. But that's a risk you take in this game in order to win better rewards and the money that comes from them - something you'll need the higher you go in level.

Jaymundo
09-27-2008, 01:54 PM
I use it now and then its pretty handy.

marinzeus
09-27-2008, 03:22 PM
For me that option is risky.Im not certain I could handle the stronger monsters.Although Ive always wanted to try...

Mill Wilkinson
09-27-2008, 04:56 PM
2 levels higher than my level is the basic guideline I have taken to follow. Not too hard but not too easy either.

marinzeus
09-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Damn I knew this would happen:
Random Roll #1 (1-100)70 +1 Wound
Random Roll #2 (1-100)70 +1 Wound
Random Roll #3 (1-100)46 +1 Wound
Random Roll #4 (1-100)90 +1 Wound
Random Roll #5 (1-100)44 +1 Wound
Random Roll #6 (1-100)50 +1 Wound
Random Roll #7 (1-100)99 +1 Wound
Random Roll #8 (1-100)90 +1 Wound
Random Roll #9 (1-100)83 +1 Wound
Random Roll #10 (1-100)76 +1 Wound
Random Roll #11 (1-100)74 +1 Wound
Random Roll #12 (1-100)96 +1 Wound
Random Roll #13 (1-100)14
Combat Result YOU WON(Barely...)

Jaymundo
09-28-2008, 06:16 PM
For me that option is risky.Im not certain I could handle the stronger monsters.Although Ive always wanted to try...

Try it just once :P

marinzeus
09-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Try it just once :P

Look at page 1.I did try...

Atrena
10-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Just started today, and the option to increase level while exploring is nice. Just wish I'd turned back when I had 3 wounds/6. You die and learn. That's gaming. :)

saphie
10-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Thank you all for this thread! I'm just starting myself, and I'm getting some really useful tips and information from you all.

I do like the "advance +1" option, although I've never braved more than +1. I find myself using it almost all the time now.

Thanks again! :)

- saphie

bbr
10-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Its useful for when your gear is a lot higher(or lower) than the creatures at your current level. You can switch the area up or down to compensate.

saankarite
10-06-2008, 08:31 AM
well, I tried some times and it was quite hard.. Once, I had sufferred 8/8 wounds, but I survived.. Somehow.. :)

darqwulf0911
10-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Saphie .. here's another one to try, if you're not already ..

Sub-loc's have a range of levels for exploring (say the sub-loc is like 5-9 lvl .. I like to be in the 7-8 range), try not to overextend yourself too much in exploring (I go back when the wounds turn red .. ESPECIALLY in sub-locs where a boss can hit multiple times!) .. also when buying gear, don't just jump for the next higher up .. I usually go anywhere from three to half-way up the list! It saves cash in the long run since you can't resell gear ..

One more thing (and this may be a controversial suggestion, but it works for me) .. explore your sub-loc's to the last attempt, then STOP .. and go back to the main area .. always leave at least (1) attempt to explore .. when you go back to the main area, it leaves you a chance to find MORE explorations of that sub-loc .. I've actually had 100+ explores in a single sub-loc (and I think there are at least (5) sub-loc's per area!!) using this strategy!

Hope this helps!! :)

darqwulf0911
10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Saphie (and anybody else interested) ..

I just saw this and, if you don't already know, thought I'd put this up here too ..

This is a classic example of overextending yourself ..

Maethorel
Dead Man Walking
Level 33 Sky Guard
176 Action Points
88465 XP to Level 34
19 Wounds (max 19) (((After this battle)))
0 Gold
0% Encumbrance

Current Gear

Armament primary Mithril Shocklance (AR: +330)
Protection primary Ornate Mithril Scalemail (DR: +330)
Support primary Adult Skyclaw Wyvern (AR: +210 / DR: +210)
Total AR / DR: 540 / 540

Blightwatch Ridge
(level range: 35-38)

Encounter
The Living Firestone Rift
Level 38 Elemental Boss (4) (((I HATE THESE! They WILL burn eventually!)))

Base Success Chance +19%
Equipment Comparison -10%
TOAD Comparison -12%
Skills Used +0

Final Success Chance -3% (((????? Would someone please explain how on a 1-100 you can roll a negative 3? You're SOL before you even get started. )))

Random Roll #1 (1-100)6 +1 Wound
Random Roll #2 (1-100)26 +1 Wound
Random Roll #3 (1-100)87 +1 Wound
Random Roll #4 (1-100)57 +1 Wound
Random Roll #5 (1-100)70 +1 Wound
Random Roll #6 (1-100)74 +1 Wound
Random Roll #7 (1-100)14 +1 Wound
Random Roll #8 (1-100)82 +1 Wound
Random Roll #9 (1-100)7 +1 Wound
Random Roll #10 (1-100)17 +1 Wound
Random Roll #11 (1-100)66 +1 Wound
Random Roll #12 (1-100)11 +1 Wound
Random Roll #13 (1-100)11 +1 Wound
Random Roll #14 (1-100)55 +1 Wound
Random Roll #15 (1-100)22 +1 Wound
Random Roll #16 (1-100)17 +1 Wound
Random Roll #17 (1-100)81 +1 Wound
Random Roll #18 (1-100)93 +1 Wound

Combat Result YOU DIED

Death!
You gain an experience point debt of 19800.
You have lost:
Gold Dropped: 1888
Value of Items: 2669

XP to next level: 88465
XP Debt: 75358 (((This battle has happened at least 4 times tonight!!!)))

Does anyone have any suggestions that may help me to survive this beating next time? And I used all that money for what I thought was decent equipment.

I borrowed this to show some of the basic problems ..

First, he's a 33 .. the boss is a 38 .. not horrible, but still a stretch ..

But here's what he should have been paying attention to ..

Base Success Chance +19% (If you're the same lvl as the monster you're fighting, base is about 55% .. I think)

Equipment Comparison -10% (This is the total of your AR (Attack Rating) vs. the monsters DR (Defense Rating) and vice versa .. In other words, your weapson/armor vs. the monsters .. you can see the breakdown on this if you roll over this stat with your mouse; actually you can do this with all of these stats)

TOAD Comparison -12% (For those that don't know - Tactics/Organization/Attack/Defense .. This is how the rock/paper/scissors of combat comes out .. this character is in waaaaaay over his head .. this monster is a +3% on ALL FOUR of the TOAD stats or -12% to the character .. baaaaaad news)

Skills Used +0 (This character has ZERO skills to offset TOAD .. that's double-bad news!)

Final Success Chance -3% (((????? Would someone please explain how on a 1-100 you can roll a negative 3? You're SOL before you even get started. ))) -- He says it all

If you're just starting out, this prob won't make a lot of sense .. I actually didn't catch on until much later and my first skill points were spent to increase my wounds, stop those damned annoying traps/ambushes, and carry/find better loot ..

There are a grouping of skill sets in the lists called "Refinement skills" .. one of my biggest problems starting out was that I didn't understand my OWN TOAD, let alone the monsters .. I understood the rock/paper/scissors concept, but I wasn't always sure what one was to the other .. Refinement skills is where you find out. Refinement skills are your TOAD .. AND they give you the info to figure out what OTHER skills you can buy to off-set weakeness .. For example, if you're weak vs. magic def (wards), there are some skills you can get to offset that (ward breaker) ..

Hope this helps! :)

PS .. thanx to Maethorel for the example ..

saphie
10-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Thank you all so much; your advice is really helpful!

I did check out the list of skills really carefully; and I was at first a little frustrated by not being able to figure out which skills I needed to offset my negative TOAD comparisons.

Until I realized that every time I went back to the Dragon Tavern, there were hints at the bottom of the screen that sometimes told you. And then I realized that in every battle, it showed my TOAD comparison and told me what skills I needed to improve against (duh!) I couldn't believe I'd made it to level 9 without even noticing that... :facepalm: :o

So I got myself some scratch paper and wrote down what my characters' TOAD advantages and disadvantages were, and started using skill points to improve my chances. Totally cool! :)

- saphie the sometimes unobservant

darqwulf0911
10-09-2008, 02:50 AM
ROFL Saphie ..

I feel your pain! .. I didn't catch on myself until about 15th level or so and even then only after reading a post on the forums that suggested that maybe putting valuable skill points into extra loot options wasn't the smartest move I could make .. hence my posts ..

DarqWulf AKA "Blind leading the Blind" :o

ratmage
10-09-2008, 09:45 PM
@Saphie: a quicker way to learn about your TOAD stuff is to just scroll over the toad when you have encounters. It will tell you what gets what. or I could just type it here
Attack Magic is weak against evasion and strong against armor
Attack Physical is weak against wards and strong against evasion
Attack Stealth is weak against armor and strong against wards
Organizations Group is strong against solo and weak against monstrosity
Organization Solo is strong against Monstrosity and weak against group
Tactics Hybrid are strong against ranged by weak against melee
Melee is strong against hybrid but weak against ranged
You should be able to figure the rest out;)

The Shiv
10-09-2008, 10:03 PM
here's the TOAD quick reference list i made. i thought some here might find it handy :

TACTICS
hybrid -melee +ranged
ranged -hybrid +melee
melee -ranged +hybrid

ORGANIZATION
solo -groups +monstrosities
monstrosity -solo +group
group -monstrosities +solo

ATTACK
magic -evasion +armor
physical -wards +evasion
stealth -armor +wards

DEFENSE
evasion -physical +magic
armor -magic +stealth
wards -stealth +physical

and if it's not obvious a minus(-) is a weakness and a plus(+) is a strength

darqwulf0911
10-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Thanx Shiv ..

I've been meaning to do something like that for a bit now .. :D

Catmeow
10-18-2008, 02:03 AM
A couple of things I'd like to know beforehand, since I've just made some new characters, and I'd like to put some forethought into their development this time, instead of just randomly picking skills...

How many Skill Points do you get in total? It sounds like it's 25 or so, but that was just a rough guess on my part.

Also, what are these Ultimate Points? Is it basically just like Skill Points, only you pick these new bonuses from a separate list, and you don't get any more Skills? What sort of things can you buy with these Ultimate Points?

EDIT: I suppose while I'm asking questions, how many Action Points can you have saved up? I thought I read 250, is that correct?

7thcross
10-18-2008, 02:47 AM
+1 versus -1 Difficulty level. I have tried several different approaches to this senario. Most of my "money focused" characters I would take into higher levels, but they seem to be stalling out currently. They have no skill bonus and their equipment comparison is at best +1. They can barely handle adventures at their own level. My more militant characters however, are doing fairly well, despite the 3-6 point equipment deficet when fighting higher level characters. I also have a couple of characters that I am experimenting fighting at lower levels with. I have one who I use at three levels below his and another who fights at one level below. The -3 character is leveling very slowly, obviously, but he has somewhere in the neighborhood of +14 equipment bonus to fight at his level (he is a money focus). The -1 character is advancing at a fairly even pace, but seems to be having some problems in the equipment department for some odd reason (militant type). He's currently at -3 vs. his level. I based my HC character off of the -1 type and he is doing very well, he has +14 at one level lower (he is my first real mix of money/militant types).

Just wanted to post some thoughts on the opposite side of the coin.;)

As for CatMeow, you get one extra wound at every level divisible by 3. All the rest are skill points, so you end up with 33 skill point by the time you get to level 50. Ultimate points I believe are recieved after level 50, I have no characters that high yet, so I can't be of much assistance in this area. And yes 250 is the declared limit on the number of action points you may carry over per character. That's ten days worth for normal characters, and 5 for HC characters.

Lord Pompous
10-19-2008, 05:21 AM
My strategy is to figure out what your TOAD weaknesses are, and buy the +2%/+3% counter skills for those FIRST. Sure, it takes a few levels, but offsetting those penalties makes everything easier later on. Then go buy the refinement skills, then the counters vs your own TOAD, and lastly the counters vs. the TOADs you're already strong against. That way you're getting a bonus against everyone as early as possible, and it's all about getting the most bang for your buck at the lower levels.

Extra wounds are tempting at low levels, but if you aren't greedy with the difficulty level+ trick and are conservative with wound management in the sub-locs then it shouldn't really be an issue. Unless you're playing Hardcore, then go nuts on them as early as you can.

The following isn't really a beginner's tip per se, but don't bother with the various deathward ring Advantages. You want a trollblood ring - the infused one if you're willing to cough up some real dough. Your goal should always be to not die, not merely to ameliorate the XP penalties when/if you do. And really, at the lower levels when you're most likely to bite it, it isn't that bad a penalty anyway. You'll just have to XP grind a bit longer.