Thread: Dragon Tavern
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Bedua Prison

Kitsune had been lying face down in the hay covering the bottom of her cell for about three hours, crying. She hadn't broken up in four hours of torture while an Inquisitor tried to get her to implicate the rest of her family, but as soon as she was out of their sight, she let it out. It was hard to keep it in. Her world had gone from a normal, happy one to the life of a fugitive, to the life of a prisoner in just under two weeks.

She instantly dried her tears and sat up as she heard the key turning in the lock. The rough shirt they'd given her when she arrived that morning stung against the cuts from the whip. She was facing away from the door, but she could hear it open up behind her. Whoever opened it didn't even say a word, just walking behind her, tying her hands behind her back, and then roughly pulling her to her feet.

With one hand on her arm, the guard led Kitsune out of the cell. Kitsune braced herself for another session of torture. It was a lot harder this time. The first time there had been fear of the unknown, and she thought her imagination must be worse than anything they could actually do to her. That's what she'd told herself. But your imagination didn't sting whenever it touched your shirt.

The guard opened up a door and led her in, forcing her to kneel and pushing her head down to look at the ground. Kitsune didn't resist. She didn't want to make this any worse than it was going to be anyway, and she didn't particularly want to see whatever nasty tools they were going to be used on her. She just closed her eyes and waited for them to ask her to implicate one of her family members for some random crime. Probably something ludicrous, like when they'd accused Nuo Ai of hexing one of his class mates.

"Kitsune," a voice said. That wasn't the voice of the Inquisitor. The Inquisitor only ever referred to her as 'prisoner' or 'heretic.' This voice wasn't as deep, and was also oddly calming...And unsettling at the same time.

"Do you know why you're here, Kitsune?" the voice asked. Kitsune's response was just loud enough to be heard, defiant in spite of being tired.

"So you can get some extra gold from your boss for catching a heretic within the Empire."

The man chuckled, "No," the voice said, "You're here because I want you to be here. Because you could be useful to me."

"Useful?!" Kitsune said, looking up at the man for the first time. It was the same man who had caught them back at Dragon Tavern. "How am I being useful to you, shut up in a prison and being beaten and whipped for hours on end? How does that help you?!"

"You aren't," the man said, "But please, let me explain." Kitsune glared daggers at him, but said nothing. "My name is Mason. Do you want to know where your family is? How they've been for the past eight hours?" he said, a trace of a malevolent grin on his face.

"If you've hurt any of them, I swear I'll find a way to make you pay." Kitsune said with barely contained rage.

"Oh, don't worry, they weren't hurt at all. We prefer to kill quickly and efficiently." Kitsune snapped, lunging for Mason, who deftly sidestepped her wild attack, grabbed her, and threw her into the wall. Stars sprang into Kitsune's vision as she struggled to her feet.

"You'll note I never said that I actually killed any of your family..." Mason said. "And we haven't." Kitsune looked around the room. It was probably Mason's office. There was a bookcase against one wall and a large desk. The other wall was bare, perhaps so that Mason could throw people into it without breaking anything. There were no guards in the room either, Kitsune could see.

"We haven't even interrogated any of them yet. You're the only one we've tried to extract any information from. We even did them the favor of giving them some bread and water." Mason said, reminding Kitsune of how hungry she was. She hadn't been fed well on the return trip, and not at all after arriving at the prison.

"But we already have enough evidence to have them all killed. Your father, of course, is already a convicted heretic. And we ran some alchemic tests on your mothers blood. Its magical properties reveal your lineage." Mason said. Kitsune just stared at him, her hands still tied behind her back. When he mentioned her 'lineage,' however, a confused look came across Kitsune's face.

"My...Lineage?" She asked in spite of herself. She was curious.

"Oh, you don't know? You are a half-elf." Mason said. Shock and horror washed over Kitsune. Ordinarily, having such a secret lineage would have been exciting, made her feel that much more unique and special. Where she was, though, being inhuman meant being sub-human. Having such a secret was enough to get her mother executed, and perhaps Nuo Ai as well. He had kept secret being a half-elf, after all.

"Yes. We can have every single one of you, including your brother Matamune, who was arrested yesterday and is on his way here, executed. Slowly and painfully, too, if we wish." Mason stepped towards her. Kitsune so wanted to pummel that handsome face of his until it swelled, ruining his looks forever. That was the least she could do to a man like this.

"You, however," Mason said, leaning in inches away from her, "I think I'll keep you alive," he continued, caressing her cheek. Kitsune shuddered. "At least for so long as I find you...Entertaining." He said, moving his hand down her neck and arm.

Kitsune stepped away from Mason. "Don't touch me!" she spat.

Mason chuckled. She really hated that chuckle. "Or what? I'll have to throw you into the wall again?" Kitsune glared at him. Her hate and anger were being slowly overcome by a different emotion, though. Despair. He was right, she was helpless. He could do much more than just touch her. He could rape her and there was nothing she could do to stop it. Kitsune didn't even want to think about that.

"Feeling helpless? Have you admitted to yourself yet that there is nothing I can't take from you, and that there is nothing you can take in return?" Mason asked, smirking. Kitsune just looked down at the ground. She didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing he was right.

"Well, let me give you some options, then, Kit." Great. He'd thought of a pet name for her. It was the same name her father had called her when she was a little girl. It was a like a sacred thing profaned when he said it. "You, are an amazing combatant. Your speed, strength, and especially your willpower are remarkable for a girl of your age.

"I want that power bent to my will." Mason said.

"Never!" Kitsune shouted at him, "I'm never going to hunt down more innocent people like my family for you!"

"Well then," Mason said, "I can sign the execution orders now."

Kitsune just stared. She didn't know what to do, work for a madman or sacrifice her family for the greater good? Spend every day in bed with Mason, knowing her family had been killed because she hadn't agreed to Masons deal.

"If you should be having second thoughts," Mason said slowly, "I can gaurantee your family will be unharmed and well-cared for, and you will have to deal with me in the capacity of master instead of jailer."

Kitsune glared at him before dropping her eyes. "Fine," she said, "I'll do it."

Mason stepped towards her again, pulling a knife out from behind his cloak. He stepped behind her and cut her hands loose. "Good, I knew you wouldn't be so callous as to let your family die when you could save them." he said, caressing her arm again.

She stepped away from him immediately this time. "Don't touch me!" she said again, more confident now. "That's part of this deal too, you can't touch me."

"You've already agreed to the deal, Kitsune, it's a bit late for last-minute bargaining." Mason said.

Kitsune stuck her hands out in front of her, as if to be bound, "I'll go right back to my cell if you want to call the deal off."

Mason was the one glaring at her now. "You realize that if you do go back to your cell, it is only a matter of time before you will be in bed with me anyway?"

"You can have me on the battlefield or in the bedroom, I won't give you both." Kitsune said, her hands still thrust out in front of her.

Mason glared at her a bit longer.

"Fine," he said. "We have ourselves a deal. Shake on it?" he said, offering his hand. Kitsune lowered her hands to her sides and spat at him. He just grinned. "That will do. There is a caravan leading to Ajendra which leaves first thing tomorrow morning. You will be trained there at the Ajendra Witch Hunter Cabal. I trust you won't be stupid enough to go missing with your families lives on the line, but just in case..." he said, pulling something from his desk. "Catch." he said tossing it to Kitsune.

Kitsune caught it in her right hand. It was a stone, oval shaped and edgeless, colored red. As she held it, looking at it, wondering what it was, it began to sink into the flesh of her palm, embedding it into her skin. "What, what is this? This is witchcraft!" she exclaimed. Mason just grinned sadistically at her. "Is this permanent?" she asked.

Mason nodded. "You may go." Kitsune turned and left the room slowly, not sure of where she was going. There was a guard waiting for her outside. He grabbed her arm and led her back to her cell. Evidently Mason wasn't going to be moving her up to first class just because she'd accepted. Kitsune didn't care. One way or another, she and her family were much better off this way.

But as soon as she sat down she started having second doubts. What was going to happen to her, what about all the innocent people she was going to hurt? She was just trying to do the right thing, but how many innocents were going to die because of it?

She was alone. She started to cry again. There wasn't any reason to keep it in.