Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Jibba Jabba

Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Default Avatar

Just seen the trailer of James Cameron's new movie Avatar and it looks most excellent!

Ah was thinking it was a Live-Action version of Avatar: Legend of Aang but it has nothing to do with that cartoon apart from sharing the 'Avatar' title

What the Final Fantasy: Spirits Within movie started, Avatar is advancing (3D FX so realistic you could almost drink the water)
Be awarned, least THEY appear
----------------------------------
To take thee to account, for thou current deeds

Last edited by DarkVisor; 08-21-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Dragon Tavern Overseer

It reminded me a little of Tabula Rasa. But I'm looking forward to it.

I saw District 9 on the weekend -- quite liked it, but it was pretty strange!

- DM

Old 08-29-2009, 03:15 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Send a message via AIM to Kelric Valas Send a message via Yahoo to Kelric Valas Send a message via Skype™ to Kelric Valas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVisor View Post
Just seen the trailer of James Cameron's new movie Avatar and it looks most excellent!

Ah was thinking it was a Live-Action version of Avatar: Legend of Aang but it has nothing to do with that cartoon apart from sharing the 'Avatar' title
No, no. This is totally something different, and the movie is a large mix between Live Action and CG. Apparently it took them like 6 years or some ridiculous amount of time to make the film. Certainly does look great..

Also. The movie you're talking about (if you knew they were making one) is "The Last Airbender." About Avatar Aang, from Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's being directed by M. Night Shyamalan and there is a trailer for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W1dhqc-JBs

Now..the trailer is..meh, so to speak, but what really breaks my heart is the simple fact it's being directed by M. Night Shyamalan. I don't know about the rest of you but so far his work has been unimpressive, the stories he works with make me just furrow my brows and let out a sigh, but all in all he doesn't seem like the proper guy to be handling such a big title.

There have been a lot of disappointments with popular titles going to mains screen, and the biggest which has just..destroyed me..was the announcement of Keanu Reeves was going to play Spike Spiegel in the Live Action Cowboy Bebop movie. Now..I don't know about the rest of you, how much you love the/any anime, but this news made me want to rip my hair out. Keanu Reeves is a great actor..don't get me wrong, but he is definitely not the person which should be playing Spike. Now I know people have been saying "Well look at what Heath Ledger did with the Joker!" This is a very, very, good reason at seeing a side of actors that tends to surprise and astonish, but I don't think Keanu can pull this off..

Last edited by Kelric Valas; 08-29-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:02 AM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Send a message via MSN to QTChi

/me coughs, her eyes watering a bit

Since when is Keanu Reeves a good actor?!

I saw the Avatar trailer awhile ago and I'm not going to keep my hopes high. That way - if it turns out good, I'll just be wow'd

~ Qtchi's Profile ~
Old 08-29-2009, 04:25 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTChi View Post
I saw the Avatar trailer awhile ago and I'm not going to keep my hopes high. That way - if it turns out good, I'll just be wow'd
Titanic aside, I've liked a lot of James Camerons stuff - Terminator and Aliens are excellent sci fi credentials imho and give me hope for this movie.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Keanu Reeves was good in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure ....does that count?

I, too, am saddened by M Night Shyamalan directing the Avatar movie. I have not enjoyed his stuff - "Sixth Sense" was okay, but "Signs" and "The Village" were somewhat poor. I feel like he sets things up in a way where there are going to be twists, but these twists are kind of obvious - and then he acts all clever at the reveal, despite the fact that the reveals aren't that much of a surprise. Or are rather pointless if they are surprises.

Chosen (unwillingly)
Acended One
Abyssal
Celestial