Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 07-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-san View Post
Ashen: No worries, buddy. I had to go to Michigan a couple weeks ago for my cousins' grandfather's (on the other side of their family) funeral. I met him once. ONCE. I mean, I'm sorry for them for their loss and all, and I mourn him, but I didn't know him...fortunately, the food was worth it. XD It sounds kinda callous, but it's true -- they make some good food up there! Good luck with that, though, 'cos that's a lot of traveling...
That's not callous, that's just the Monkey Sphere in effect; you have no empathy for any human being who has not entered your Monkey Sphere, the list of a hundred or so faces contained in your memory which you know personally, mostly friends and family.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Adventurer

This story is great! Keep up the good work, and if you need some more characters to put in you story you can use any my 3, Wargland, a warmaster, Storgland, a storm lord, and Bergland, a berzerker. They are all from the mountain kingdoms.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Adventurer

U most likely have a virus on ur computer
Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Experienced Adventurer

I wrote a few of these replies from one of my families computers, which is chock full of viruses, but my personal computer is clean.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
U most likely have a virus on ur computer
Wait...me? No, it's not; it's just FireFox being stupid and me having too much to do and too little time to do it. And also my thumbs...stupid Tilt...it's hard to type on, so I have to set it on my knee and use my pointer fingers. x.x It's not hard, just troublesome, and it makes it harder to tell if there are typos unless I lean down and look at it which makes my back hurt.

Lol...sorry...stupid attention deficit disorder...

Also, Ashen, that was kinda my original thought, but I'm insensitive and cold generally, even though not as...err...apathetic. I like that term, though. XD Monkey Sphere..........:P
Ryoku Level 6 Warmaster

"This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination."

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Helping Ashen's plot to destroy those damned bunnies and their plot to take the world over.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Experienced Adventurer

The Monkey Sphere concept was originally discovered as a list of fifty or so monkeys that any given monkey could contain in its memory at one time. Any monkey not on that list, the monkey doesn't care about and can actually kill without any bad side effects (which is why different tribes of monkeys can have turf wars without having psychological breakdowns).

Humans list is about twice as long but works the same way. Your empathy (and this applies to everyone, I say 'your' only for the sake of convenience) for someone is triggered only in two cases; one, if they're in your Monkey Sphere, or two, if you physically see them get hurt/killed. How much empathy the second generates depends on who you are and how violent it was. Sociopaths feel absolutely no empathy for people outside their Monkey Sphere (and also tend to have pretty limited Monkey Spheres due to their anti-social tendencies). Psychopaths not only feel no empathy for people outside their Monkey Sphere, they generally have few, if any people in their Monkey Sphere (usually it's less than ten; close friends, a lover, and perhaps few children).

Anyway, I should have the next chapter up later today.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Hmm, that's an odd theory. I think it's true to a point, but there are people who simply feel empathy towards everyone -- which is rare.

Yay! New chapter!
Ryoku Level 6 Warmaster

"This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination."

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Helping Ashen's plot to destroy those damned bunnies and their plot to take the world over.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Inhumans Requiem, part 1 of 30

Skyclaw Ridge

Ashen sped his horse along, full speed, through the narrow valley path. His horse couldn't keep this up long. He had no idea how long it would take his goblin pursuers' wargs to tire out. Two of them were up above, pursuing him from a ledge about ten feet above the path, and another behind him. The three of them had forced him towards Muckmol's Cave without him noticing it until it was too late. Now he had little choice except to find a way to deal with the three of them before they arrived and he was overwhelmed by the small army of goblins waiting inside.

Ashen took another stab at the nearest goblin on the ledge. The goblin parried the blow, and then ran down the steep slope to Ashen. The two were alongside one another now. Ashen drew his sword and began fighting with the goblin in hand-to-hand. It was hard to pay attention to where his horse was going and where his sword was going at the same time, but the horse wouldn't likely drive itself off a cliff.

Ashen feinted towards the goblins flank and, when the goblin tried to block it, twisted his sword around and ran the goblin through. His friend from behind pulled up on Ashen's right, and Ashen began fighting with him. He was already thinking Ajen for the goblins stupidity in engaging him one at a time when the other jumped off the ledge towards Ashen's left. Ashen swung up towards the Warg as it crossed, and the goblin to his right took a swing at his head. The helmet absorbed the blow. It was crude, but goblin swords were cruder.

Ashen was boxed in, goblins on both sides, and still going down the path to Muckmol's Cave at high speeds. Ashen tried desperately, but he couldn't fend off both swords at once, and the goblin swords, though unable to penetrate his armor, were still able to damage him through the chainmail. Eventually, the minor wounds would add up and Ashens arms would be mangled to the point of uselessness.

Ashen swung low at the wargs body instead of the goblin. The goblin was taken off guard and couldn't block the blow. The warg howled in pain and stumbled to the ground, rolling over itself and crushing its rider. Ashen turned his attention to the other goblin, which had been pestering him with blows from behind while his focus was on the first goblin.

Ashen turned to the last rider and tried the same trick on him, but the goblin blocked the blow easily. He had been expecting it. When did goblins grow brains? Ashen began stabbing and hacking at the goblin. He managed to get the sword through the goblins leg and through a good portion of the warg too. The warg crashed to the ground.

The goblin began limping away from the crashed warg away from Ashen. Ashen turned his horse around, galloped full speed at the goblin, and lopped its head off. Then he reined in his horse and dismounted. His mount was utterly exhausted from the ride, which, while not lasting more than ten minutes, had been fast and on rough terrain. Ashen wondered how anyone could ever believe the stories of heroes riding their mounts for days on end through blistering deserts.

Ashen removed his helmet and set it down, moving back to his horse and grabbing his canteen. He was about to take a drink when an arrow whipped past his head. He looked in the direction it came to find an archer, dressed like a Moon Elf, standing on the rocks above.

"That was a warning shot," the Elf said, a woman, "Lay down your weapon or I'll kill you."
Old 07-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Again, well-written. I like this chapter. Very realistic (no matter how well-trained, a horse couldn't go for too long at a full-speed chase and probably was wounded a bit, though not much if Ashen is as good as it seems) and I like the end. XD I'm weird, aren't I? But you're a wonderful writer, Ashen, honestly.

Now I need to go get my backpack ready for a probably not-so-short walk. Keep up the good work -- I like how you described the fight, too.
Ryoku Level 6 Warmaster

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:40 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnpenguin View Post
This reminds me of a lot of the stufff my sister reads.
I forgot to ask. What stuff would that be? And also, is that a compliment or a criticism?