Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Renovations and Reality Adjustments

Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 AM
Adventurer

Lightbulb Avoiding Tedious Days of Boredom

I'm not sure if this is really going to go down well, but as somebody who has had lots of experience on other RPG's esp. browser-based, I have some suggestions to make your game that much better than everyone elses and hopefully to increase the user population substantially.

First of all, it's a great game! Don't get me wrong. The inclusion of graphics and the smooth layout make game-play exciting and most importantly makes the experience varied. The customized random names for the monsters, the fact that I can run into Bosses, the way that the page is dynamic and I can see the rolls and subsequent wounds being made, it all works to your advantage here. Haha, it really disguises the tediousness of repetitively clicking links that is browser-based-RPG's. So, congratulations are in order!

However, as happens with most browser-based RPG's, there is a period between using up all of your AP's, and gaining more daily AP's, that is static and there is nothing that one can do (or such is my understanding) except gamble my remaining money. I UNDERSTAND that this is the trick to getting people to buy credits, and subsequent AP's through Advantages, however, it is a pretty standard trick of browser-based RPG's and it will severely limit the amount of users that you have playing, and furthermore the amount of users that will play and then get bored after their first couple of waiting sessions. Before you know it, the game has become a daily chore where you visit just to run through your 20 AP's, then you leave again.

I'm still thinking of some idea to beat this problem. It is a very hard one to address in browser-based. But you have to consider what makes browser-based games less desirable than realtime MMO's or something like that. It's the ability to let your time and effort be paid off in work, in short. With MMO's, the more time you invest playing the game, running around farming, whatever, the more you get out of it. To limit the amount of time that one can invest in the game, you in turn limit the amount of interest that one can retain in it.

This has become a very long suggestion, but I think that you see where I'm going ! What makes games such as (god-help-me) Neopets so addictive and so successful, is that there is an almost infinite amount of things that you can do to invest time in the game and in turn get fun out of the game (ie. you can play as many games as you want, and get Neopoints, and as such the amount that you get out is limited only by the amount that you decide to put in, not by the amount that you are told to put in).

Again, I'm sorry that I don't have any alternative suggestions or anything like that, but I assure you I will be thinking about it! I hope that this has been a worthwhile suggestion

Cheers and all the best!

PS You should introduce some sort of avatar system to give the game even more depth. ;D
Old 07-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Adventurer

Thumbs up agree

I agree this is a great game so far. This is my first day on this game and i was having a blast until i ran thru my ap. i dont know if there is a way to gain or earn extra ap or as you lvl gain more but there should be a way. Maybe a slow hourly gain so you can get back on every few hours if you want. Just a suggestion
Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Adventurer

Hello Zerothian!

I like the way you're thinking here. I do have to admit myself that mini-games would be fantastic. There is currently a way to earn credits! After the occasional BOSS defeat you may be rewarded with 5 to 10 credits (may be more or less but that is what has been discovered by players so far) and that can be used towards more AP.

Anywho, something to do whilst waiting for the daily AP (like the suggestions you said) would be great and i am all for the idea!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Adventurer

Send a message via ICQ to lilythmageborn Send a message via AIM to lilythmageborn Send a message via MSN to lilythmageborn Send a message via Yahoo to lilythmageborn

I tend to agree with you, that the wait for the AP rollover makes the game drag a bit. And Neopets is a great example for helping to improve the tedium of the game. I have a few suggestions to help the DT team improve such things, but in all honestly I think they're trying to keep the game simple; you kill stuff, make money, buy armor, repeat. You do this during your break at work, between classes, before bed. I sort of feel like they wouldn't want to add more things to the game that keeps people on the site for more than 10-20 minutes (depending on how many characters you have) like Neopets and other virtual pet browser games have. I could be completely wrong, though.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

I can make a simple suggestion that you get 2-3 characters going at once, that way you get to either play them all each day, or alternate between them and play 75 AP each day on the same guy.

When you hit level 30, you can start up a limited 500 character and get 500 AP off the bat (which you can later convert over to a regular character for a small credit cost if you are really attached to it).. and at level 50 there's a Limited 2000 character too once you make it that far.

Also, once you hit level 20 you can create hardcore characters, which gain AP at twice the rate.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Experienced Adventurer

I ran into the same problem as you did (the OP) but I then made multiple characters (5) and that quickly satisfied me. This way I can play as multiple classes and still level up.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Adventurer

Send a message via ICQ to lilythmageborn Send a message via AIM to lilythmageborn Send a message via MSN to lilythmageborn Send a message via Yahoo to lilythmageborn

I have 10 characters and I promise it does nothing to lessen the tedium.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Adventurer

Throwing in the new player's response...

I understand that you have to eat too. As a new player, I can agree that the tediousness is there, no matter what.

I have considered starting a new character, but now that I have run through the first character once, doing another one would take me about 20 minutes.

That's a lot of characters to start.

Plus, some players aren't multiple character type players. They have one they want to nurture, but boring them with a 24 hour wait that turns into a daily chore I know has made me quit games, and I like multiple characters even.

But I know I would at least check out a mini-game section, and you could incorporate an optional purchase system into the mini-game as well, but do it in a manner that is fair.

I know in one browser game I used to play there was an arena where you could take your character and fight other players, and you won experience and gold based upon their level difference to you.

I personally like flash games, and you could always add the games to this forum and award prizes for top rankers. I know installing the games to the forum costs a little bit of money, but would be a great down-time thing.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Maybe a minigame like this?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Adventurer

Heh, that is pretty fun, and ya... EXACTLY something like that.

Tags
aps, bored, boredom