Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > General Chat

Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Default ...what?

This game sometimes...90% success rate on a minion and I took 9 hits in a row to kill my hardcore character. Absolutely disgusting...
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Adventurer

Ouch! That really hurts...
Old 06-16-2013, 06:16 AM
Adventurer

Default Ouch!

I feel your pain, I don't see how that was possible,but as I have been saying there is no rng (random number generator) it's more like a png programmed number generator!)

In the last several days I've had multiple characters get hit with over 43 wounds in the first battle,some more than once! This is playing on normal with all ultimate points maxed out except for some specialization points! Luckily they were regular characters and not hardcore,that would be tough to take.

It seems as though when the game decides your time has come it's over no matter how you have built up your character! It's the same png that will cause you to lose over a dozen rolls at gambling in a row even though the odds of that happening have to be astronomical!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Adventurer

When you think about it, assuming you're being careful and play it as safe as you can, bad rng is the only way a hc char would die. Such strings of bad rng are bound to happen, but it does suck when it hits your veteran hc character and there was little to nothing you could have done to prevent it.

I'd be curious what the highest achieveable HC level is. At a sufficiently high level your SC will ultimately become negative and there is nothing you can do against it (you can draw out the inevitable though by always staying in cautious areas and by lucky gambling to boost your equipment). At this point immortal powers are your only way to progress, either by directly killing enemies or by directly giving you exp. Since HC doesn't have access to immortal powers there must be a mathematical hardcap to how high they can go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooptie View Post
as I have been saying there is no rng

It's the same png that will cause you to lose over a dozen rolls at gambling in a row even though the odds of that happening have to be astronomical!
What you described was normal rng behaviour. The thing with randomness is that it doesn't remember how many coin-tosses you lost in a row, the next one will have the same 50%. The chance for 12 losses in a row is 1 in 4096. That's not nearly as unlikely as one might think.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byr View Post
What you described was normal rng behaviour. The thing with randomness is that it doesn't remember how many coin-tosses you lost in a row, the next one will have the same 50%. The chance for 12 losses in a row is 1 in 4096. That's not nearly as unlikely as one might think.

Basically he got "super lucky", and should take a look at the lottery.

Alternatively - it's a bad RNG system which isn't as random as it should be.

Look at it either way.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Experienced Adventurer

This is why I now advance only very very, very slowly with my lvl 101 HC char. I go to level 52 location and when I come back, I sometimes receive exp for bronze merchant guild. So this way I, there is no mathematical level cap, but it will take very long time to reach level 255. Maybe one of my grandchildren will get there :-)
(I got bronze merchant guild for "free" by using free offers that gave credits for some actions, that's not possible now. I never pay for online games)
Old 08-29-2013, 03:53 AM
Adventurer

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byr View Post
The thing with randomness is that it doesn't remember how many coin-tosses you lost in a row, the next one will have the same 50%. The chance for 12 losses in a row is 1 in 4096. That's not nearly as unlikely as one might think.
It might just be "luck", but its still complete and total fuckery

I just received the "Dead Man Walking" achievement because this dam png or rng or whatever sick internet god just made me feel the cold embrace of death for the tenth time and each and every one of those ten times I died have were caused by this strange phenomenon. I had at least a 50% success rate and even though im only lvl 36 I still shouldn't get hit a nice 10-25 times in a row.

1 in 4096 might not be very unlikely but hitting that perfect 1 ten different times? Come on now. Not to mention veteran characters like Hooptie. Landing tails 43 times in a row is waaayyy more than a 4096 chance, even more if it happens more than once.

I don't know if there is a system in place or my luck just happens to take on a negative for a bit, but for me it feels like if im starting to do too well, ill get killed like this to knock me down a bit. You know those kids who scream when they get killed on Call of Duty? I don't do it on that game, but when this happens, I scream. I scream real good.