Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > General Chat

Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Experienced Adventurer

I'm going to try it. It does support google chrome, I hope...

The Main Gang: Deurges - Mieki - Paeruh - Nippur
The Black Brothers: Thaurus - Ender
Old 10-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoDHells View Post
I'm going to try it. It does support google chrome, I hope...
It uses your installed IE / native windows IE that It can find.
It doesn't really "support" firefox, chrome, or opera, it simply uses IE :P
If IE isn't there, I have no idea what It'll do - any windows machine Ive seen so far has the IE code practically embedded in the system, even if you didn't have IE installed. So, I'd love to hear whether it works or gives any error that I might be able to handle and show some options for.

With Delphi XE2, there might be native support for different browsers, I haven't researched that far into it yet.

Last edited by bbr; 10-17-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Experienced Adventurer

New version is up! v1.0.5 which includes more icons, a few zone name fixes, more preferences to play with, and the long ago announced Data analysis dialog.
And, ofc, more data to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus_ink View Post
I like the idea of the monster breakdown per area.
cheers
Done. See v1.0.5 in the first post
Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Well, I have been trying DL for some days (I have even downloaded the 1.05 version just now to try it), and I have some comments:
  • It doesn't keep my login data, so I have to log in manually every time I want to play. Since I have 8 characters, which I play throughout the day in the office, this can be a bit of a nuisance.
  • I've compared the loading times with those of Google chrome and there is a slight difference. It's not much but, when I am playing a character with accumulated APs (100+, like today), that difference becomes noticeable. I ended up switching to Google Chrome at times (with my alts especially, since they don't have the Legendary Hunter power). This might be an issue of mine, since I've never updated my MS explorer. Perhaps if I did (if there is a way), it may run faster. I don't know if this is possible (I know nothing about programming), but if we could pick the browser of choice, perhaps this would be solved.
  • For some reason, whenever I hit "Explore", the information on the "Zone" window appears for a moment and then vanishes. If I want to keep track of the monsters I kill, I have to either hit F9 and see the big chart (which I just found - was it in the previous versions?) or select the specific area in the window below and keep refreshing it. I don't know if this is a bug or if it is working as intended (a la Blizzard )

Having said all this, mind you, I think that Dragon Logger is an EXCELENT program. The ability of keeping score on the monsters found in each area is very handy for Leg. Hunters. All in all, save for the loading issue (which, in my case, can be a bit a nuisance as well), I think it runs pretty smoothly. Congratulations on your work.

Last edited by WoDHells; 10-25-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: wrong bbcode :D
Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Ah good, you got it working even though you don't have IE installed, or did you end up installing IE?

* It doesn't keep my login data, so I have to log in manually every time I want to play. Since I have 8 characters, which I play throughout the day in the office, this can be a bit of a nuisance.

The program is non invasive to the browser component and html/php pages, so I'm not editing any data in the browser itself. (Just analyzing the html after it finishes loading) - I could grab the html, edit it and re-supply it for display, but that would probably slow it down severely.
In firefox, I do notice it pre-fills the box, while in DTL it doesn't.
It "might" be an option that needs to be configured through IE, or to log in to IE once in order to have it stored in a place where the IE component of DTL can reach it. Will need investigating - it annoys me as well, but I generally only run the tool on friday, and spend the AP on a bunch of characters in one sitting.

I'll add it to the to-do list.

Edit: Tried logging in, storing password in IE, but no luck.
According to: http://delphi.about.com/od/twebbrows...web_form_2.htm
It should be possible though, but I think the fastest way to fix it would be to allow you to enter your username/password in your local .ini file, which then gets read and inserted upon page load. Or only the username in case people are paranoid about the .exe gathering data.

* I've compared the loading times with those of Google chrome and there is a slight difference. It's not much but, when I am playing a character with accumulated APs (100+, like today), that difference becomes noticeable. I ended up switching to Google Chrome at times (with my alts especially, since they don't have the Legendary Hunter power). This might be an issue of mine, since I've never updated my MS explorer. Perhaps if I did (if there is a way), it may run faster. I don't know if this is possible (I know nothing about programming), but if we could pick the browser of choice, perhaps this would be solved.

Since the DTL basically creates a copy of the webpage and then goes searching for the text patterns that allow it to see what kind of creature you just killed, it is kind of inevitable that it will be slightly slower than a browser that simply displays the info.

There are a few things that can be done still to allow it to become a bit faster, like using Regular Expressions instead of string search algorithm that is currently used. But Regexes are very difficult to create and read/debug.

Also, I'll add an option later to allow the right side of the screen to be hidden / non visible and non-updating. It should cut down a few more miliseconds off the refresh that way.
I've found that the most evil slowdown is from the page loading scripts separately. Such as the "facebook button" on the login screen causing a full page reload in DTL, o_O, while my firefox doesn't have the issue, since it's blocking the facebook javascript.
The facebook button is excluded from being responded to since v1.0.4 though, so you shouldn't have an issue with that anymore. But, I might have missed something on other pages.

* For some reason, whenever I hit "Explore", the information on the "Zone" window appears for a moment and then vanishes. If I want to keep track of the monsters I kill, I have to either hit F9 and see the big chart (which I just found - was it in the previous versions?) or select the specific area in the window below and keep refreshing it. I don't know if this is a bug or if it is working as intended (a la Blizzard )

This, seems weird.
After I hit explore I'll definitely see the data in the upper table, so this is probably an oversight.
Does it say which zone you are in at the top of the table, or could you provide me with a screenshot?
Also, what is the URL in your navigation bar (top) when the box goes blank?
I suspect it's reacting to a sub-element on the page, such as facebook scripts or the google api.
More information would be welcome, especially the content of your top navigation bar.
After that empty reload is fixed, you'll probably notice an immediate speedup as well.

The F9 screen is a new feature in v1.0.5

Also, any data YOU find is stored separately from any data that comes with updates of the program. So, any time you use it, your data is completely safe from being overwritten. There is an option in the preferences dialog where you can select to include or exclude (just dont merge it) the original data.

Having said all this, mind you, I think that Dragon Logger is an EXCELENT program. The ability of keeping score on the monsters found in each area is very handy for Leg. Hunters. All in all, save for the loading issue (which, in my case, can be a bit a nuisance as well), I think it runs pretty smoothly. Congratulations on your work.

All feedback is welcome, especially bug reports / concerns! Positive and negative alike, though positive is preferred :P
It should certainly be possible to tweak the speed further - I have mostly focused on functionality rather than efficiency for now, since the number of actual users is fairly small still. But, it will certainly improve in the future.

Either way, I've been able to add a bunch of new lines to the to-do list ^_^

Last edited by bbr; 10-25-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Experienced Adventurer

To be honest, I'm using it at the office comp, which does have IE installed. I haven't tried it at home, which is only natural, since I usually don't play from there. The thing is that I used to use Firefox, and Google Chrome ended up being faster than FF (not only with DT, but in general). I'm told that is true with IE as well. That's why I thought that, perhaps, that could become an option. I can only imagine that the program itself might bring some delay, but if that delay is applied on a faster browser, the end results might improve without tweaking the code much.

Regarding the box on the right not showing data, no, it doesn't show the name of the area (it does show the name for the brief moment the info appears though). The weird thing is that it might show something upon first load, but then the information just vanishes and then appears for a moment when I hit explore. Just now, for instance, I logged it just to check these things out and, for two or three explores, the information was shown correctly. But then after a fourth explore, it started vanishing again. The URL is the usual one when exploring (in this case: http://www.dragontavern.com/char/tha...1319569642.htm).
Hope it helps.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
To be honest, I'm using it at the office comp, which does have IE installed. I haven't tried it at home, which is only natural, since I usually don't play from there. The thing is that I used to use Firefox, and Google Chrome ended up being faster than FF (not only with DT, but in general). I'm told that is true with IE as well. That's why I thought that, perhaps, that could become an option. I can only imagine that the program itself might bring some delay, but if that delay is applied on a faster browser, the end results might improve without tweaking the code much.
Well the component TWebBrowser is a specific IE component, so until they release one specifically for FF or chrome, I can't really change which browser it supports sadly. I'm certainly not going to want to create one from scratch ^^

You could try IE9, I have been using IE7 64 bit myself.

IE9 should be able to use hardware acceleration.
Firefox 3.7 with hardware acceleration should be able to keep up with IE.

The daft bit,. is that in one test:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/i...ark/11890?pg=2

Well,. im using a 64 bit pc here. so.... i havent really bothered updating mine :P

Quote:
Regarding the box on the right not showing data, no, it doesn't show the name of the area (it does show the name for the brief moment the info appears though). The weird thing is that it might show something upon first load, but then the information just vanishes and then appears for a moment when I hit explore. Just now, for instance, I logged it just to check these things out and, for two or three explores, the information was shown correctly. But then after a fourth explore, it started vanishing again. The URL is the usual one when exploring (in this case: http://www.dragontavern.com/char/tha...1319569642.htm).
Hope it helps.
bugger, I was hoping it would show the exact page at least.
Still, I got a few ideas that might improve it.

The data basically appears, then disappears - and stays gone if you wait?

The url is the correct one at least, so nothing of that is overwriting the data, it's just somehow thinking it's not in a valid zone. I should be able to get a workaround up and running for that soonish. I'll let you know.
The difficult part is that i can't reproduce the issue here.
Which IE are you using on the test comp?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Well, the loading thing, ultimately, is not a big deal. DL is still helpful for my Legendary Hunter, so I'll keep using it.

About the dissapearing info, yes. It stays hidden. The IE I have here is IE8. I'll try at home to see if it happens there as well.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Well, the loading thing, ultimately, is not a big deal. DL is still helpful for my Legendary Hunter, so I'll keep using it.

About the dissapearing info, yes. It stays hidden. The IE I have here is IE8. I'll try at home to see if it happens there as well.
Alright, let me know how that goes.

If the fix coming later doesn't work, I can always build a special version with .txt logging to see which urls it's receiving.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Well, the same thing happens at home. I'm using Windows XP at work and Windows 7 at home, and in both OS the same thing happens: the first attempts show the information normally, no problems there, but after three or four attempts, the information starts disappearing. It's quite weird. Could it be affected by the fact that in none of my systems IE is the main browser? Perhaps it's something silly to ask, but at this point you never know.

update: it seems to be at random, now that I've kept playing for a while. Five or six attempts will go with no info shown, then two or three with all the data correctly shown, then back to not showing anything, and so on..