Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 04-30-2009, 03:59 PM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Send a message via MSN to QTChi

(If he dies, Q will be sure not to raise him then)

~ Qtchi's Profile ~
Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Experienced Adventurer

How soon after the cat-fight between Cuddy and the blonde-doc over who gets to play with House' "cane"?
Be awarned, least THEY appear
----------------------------------
To take thee to account, for thou current deeds
Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 AM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edik View Post
Hey Qtchi,

I would like to see you attempt at writing romance in a story. You're good at role playing characters, what do you find hard about writing a romance?

Well, I tried Edik. The latest JTTU post is dedicated to you. And DarkVisor....erm....ya...I have no idea what yer talking about....

/me goes back to waiting for Ashen's next post...

~ Qtchi's Profile ~
Old 05-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Inhumans Requiem part 24 of 30

Shiverwood

Vera1 stood in the treetops surrounding the Grove of Kings. The Unseelie King would be inside with his court, almost certainly. They left unannounced, whenever they wished, but they almost never left. She was looking for some way for her to bluff her way inside, for Seth to slip in, for Nilanicus to destroy the entire grove from above, but she could see nothing helpful. The grove was thick, all but impenetrable except for the single entrance, heavily guarded by the Unseelie Elves. Only royalty, nobles, or their personal messengers were allowed inside, and Vera could barely pass herself off as an Unseelie. And no storm lord's spell she could think of could destroy the entire grove before the court would be able to evacuate, kill him, or both.

She could hardly stop herself shivering now, unused to wearing light, Elven clothing at these altitudes2. It was a bit of bitter irony that she was dressed much like she had at home in the Moonwood now that she was among those who hated her most, and a single reaction to the high altitude cold would alert the Unseelie that she was an intruder. She was positive she wasn't the only one to sneak in like this, and the Unseelie no doubt knew what to look for.

Vera began climbing down from the tree, passing a few Unseelie along the way. The Unseelie seemed to radiate anarchism and decadence. She had figured it had been a stereotype when Moon Elves described the Unseelie (and half-elves, for that matter) as being nothing but undisciplined hedonists, but she'd yet to meet a single Unseelie who didn't fit the description. Probably just the culture they were raised in, she reminded herself, but she couldn't stop herself from starting to think of all Unseelie as unfeeling anarchists with nothing but selfishness in their hearts.

-----------------

Broken Gateway

Kitsune wasn't sure she could've made it until Ashen woke up if Dwarven patrols didn't keep wandering past in the distance every now and again, causing her eyes to bolt fully open and stare in nervous suspense until they wandered out of view again. Most of them seemed to be heading out, and they got fewer and fewer as time went on, so she guessed that they were evacuating.

Once Ashen woke up, the two of them left and made a makeshift camp just a few kilometers3 away. Once they got there, Ashen immediately began asking her where their next target was, but she told him to ask after she'd gotten some sleep. About six hours later, Ashen woke her up and asked her again.

"We're supposed to kill someone named Baron Bonfire and seal a portal in Bonfire Keep," Kitsune said wearily. She was two hours short on sleep, but she knew Ashen wouldn't let her rest until he'd gotten the information he needed.

"...Bonfire?" Ashen asked.

"Yeah, you know him?" Kitsune said.

"I know he's the most powerful entity in the whole of the Ridge," Ashen said. "Even though the place has apparently been going to Hell lately."

"What do you mean?" Kitsune asked.

"I found a few wandering goblins while you were sleeping and captured one of them, and interrogated him about what's going on in the Ridge. It occurred to me that some of the demons in the area might have gathered that we're going around killing all their leaders and destroying their gates. I don't think they'd appreciate that much." Ashen said.

"So what did you find out?" Kitsune asked.

"First off, there are other adventurers going about killing leaders of different Inhuman factions in the Ridge. Ironically enough, they seem to be from the Skyclaws. Inhumans killing Inhumans." Ashen smirked. It made Kitsune uncomfortable. The prejudice against Inhumans had never really sat well with her, but now she knew that she was, herself, an Inhuman. And the guy she'd kissed two nights ago was talking about how much he hated them all.

"And there's a big Skyclaw army sweeping in from the south, picking up the pieces," Ashen said.

"Well, that's good news," Kitsune said, "The Skyclaws might not be our friends, but they're a lot less chaotic than the monsters."

"Yes," Ashen said, "But it's also bad news for us in the short term. Bonfire Keep was already a nigh-unto impenetrable fortress, and now it's going to be preparing for a siege."

"Every other time we've gotten into an enemy stronghold, we've done it by infiltration. If the defenders are expecting a siege, they might be less likely to pick up infiltrationists." Kitsune said.

"They might be," Ashen said. "Doesn't mean they will be."

"Yeah..." Kitsune said.

Ashen smiled and said "I shouldn't have woke you so soon. Get some rest. We'll both need to be awake and alert for this next one. Trust me when I say that just getting to Bonfire Keep is no easy task."

Kitsune smiled gratefully and went back to sleep, wishing Ashen didn't have to keep watch so he could lie down next to each other and hold her while she drifted off like he had inside the Gromka stronghold.

Bonfire Keep

"I have good news and bad news, Lord Bonfire," Nagasak said to the Baron in his uncomfortably warm study.

"What's the bad news?" Bonfire asked.

"The bad news is that the Rivana mercenaries have been thrown into chaos by the death of their leader."

"It's not as if this were unexpected. We have already taken steps to increase our forces in the realm so that we can combat the Skyclaw army single-handedly." Bonfire said.

Nagasak raised his eyebrows. "That raises the question as to why you bothered with all these allies in the first place."

"Indeed." Bonfire said.

Nagasak suspected that this increase in forces was either a bluff or a desperate gamble. He'd have to pass the information on to Xanalsir. He knew enough about demons and their methods to discern the truth. "The good news," Nagasak continued, "Is that I have found their base. They're holed up in the old abandoned fortress they seized from the Yuan-Ti and the Tritaurs."

"That's only two days march from here," the Baron said smiling, "We'll catch them in the fortress and kill them there, then use it as our staging area for the defense against the army. The Alliance will think long and hard before attacking us again."

"Xanalsir will be most pleased," Nagasak said, "I'll depart immediately to tell him." With that, Nagasak vanished from the room. The Baron frowned. It always irritated him how that man could penetrate all of his defenses within a few seconds with that one irritating ability. Evidently it was not a terribly common one to soul reavers, but the fact that even one had it made it an annoying vulnerability in the Baron's defenses.

"Allser!" the Baron yelled to one of his human slaves, waiting outside.

The slave came scurrying in, dressed only in rags. "Yes, my lord?" He asked fearfully4.

"Send a message to Remmej. Tell him to meet with me immediately. It's time to crush the Skyclaws once and for all."

----------

1 I learned the other day that "Vera" is short for "Veradux" from Armor Games' Sonny series, a beefy medic with a reputation for having some of the most irritatingly moronic AI ever written.

2 Fae of all stripes have a tendency to wear light clothing, to be closer to nature. Vera would have been wearing significantly heavier clothing than normal on this expedition because the Ridge is much higher in altitude than the Moonwood. Shiverwood Fae, however, would be perfectly used to it, and thus wear light clothes.

3 Using metric terms like that one doesn't always feel quite right in a fantasy setting, however I've already established that the Steel Empire uses metric.

4 Given how fond the demons are of pain and suffering, being a slave to one of them can't possibly be a fun experience.

I remember when I wrote one of these every day...So maybe I'll have one for you by the end of tomorrow.

This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination.

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Experienced Adventurer

That was in response to Ink's post about Durst being on 'House, MD'
Be awarned, least THEY appear
----------------------------------
To take thee to account, for thou current deeds
Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Adventurer

Hey i am the SkyClaw!!! And i can write as well!!! I do have at least books on the go, my miggest one is 280 pages long
Old 05-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXoduis View Post
Hey i am the SkyClaw!!! And i can write as well!!! I do have at least books on the go, my miggest one is 280 pages long
All your book are belong to us.

This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination.

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!
Old 05-03-2009, 04:02 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTChi View Post
[color="Pink"]
Well, I tried Edik. The latest JTTU post is dedicated to you.
Wow! You dedicated a post to me? I'm flattered
What is JTTU? I assumed it was Journey to the Underworld anyway and read your last 2 posts. I found romance there difficult to find, however I did manage to find your necromancer romantic :P

However, it is understandably hard to have romance when you don't have a relationship with a man in the first place and you're in the middle of a battle
Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

And here I am...all pleased I did a good job Qtchi's new crush! Poor guy has to suffer now

Yes, it's hard to write romance when yer admist a battle. Closest I could do were the opening of the thread...

heheheh

Quote:
I remember when I wrote one of these every day...So maybe I'll have one for you by the end of tomorrow.
One a day? My day just got better!!!

~ Qtchi's Profile ~

Last edited by QTChi; 05-03-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTChi View Post
And here I am...all pleased I did a good job Qtchi's new crush! Poor guy has to suffer now

Yes, it's hard to write romance when yer admist a battle. Closest I could do were the opening of the thread...

heheheh

One a day? My day just got better!!!
that avatar feels familiar