Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > General Chat

Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Default A Renewed Disinterest

Ah, I remember when Dragon Tavern was still just a month or two old. The Bards Table didn't exist, and interest in something like it seemed to be all but non-existent, carried on by a tiny minority of the forums population. Eventually, people started writing stories and putting them in the general discussion (I think there may have been a roleplay, too), so Damana Mathos created the Bards Table and moved everything there. With the creation of the Bards Table, interest in roleplay and stories skyrocketed.

Two years later, I've returned to the community to find a renewed disinterest in stories and roleplay. I find myself wondering what happened. Did all the storytellers get bored and leave the community? Did everyone just run out of ideas, and then get bored and wander away? Are you all hiding and waiting to jump out from behind the furniture and yell "surprise?"

I'm putting this in General Chat for two reasons, first because the only person who still reads the Bards Table appears to be QTChi, so I wouldn't be getting a very good range of opinions/theories, and second, I'm not really roleplaying or writing fiction so much as I'm discussing the community for roleplaying and writing fiction, and what happened to it, and I'm quite certain the General Chat regulars are just as capable as the old Bards Table crowd at discussing that.

This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination.

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Ah haven't played in, hmm, about a year, but used to still pop in to read the forums everyday, but stopped about a month ago, but hope to start reading regularly again and even get back into playing
Be awarned, least THEY appear
----------------------------------
To take thee to account, for thou current deeds
Old 08-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Experienced Adventurer

I guess people have other things to do, and once they have done a little here and done some writing there they wish to move and and do new things and meet people, count your blessings, I would like to roleplay and I come often, okay so I wasnt a registered member of DT before I registered (go figure) but if you call meeting new people and trying out something simple roleplay then hey!! Perhaps all is lacking is a bit of organisation from the dev team, you know I dont want to swing a rock in a glasshouse but if the devs put some new stuff for arranging roleplay games then you know perhaps people would show up again. To be honest I am a little clueless of what these brand new ideas are, would a calender be sufficient or perhaps. Or goals for competing in roleplay events. As of late I have been on the wizards of the coast website a lot, I am just not going to start some writing unless I have the time and commitment to deliver, and perhaps thats the underlining golden rule here, to say why old players arent writing, maybe they just do not want to distrupt the flow of their old threads to start new threads, who knows, I don't. And if you start a new game and include fresh faces and allow old players to explore ideas which they had but never used then it could be quite fun. There are tons and tons of resources on running and roleplaying good games, I like Dragon Tavern in that they are a good bunch, and the dev team has got a knack for laying down a campaign scenario. There is so much more to do, and I like you say just need more input, perhaps not more players, but more input from those playing. Hoping for good adventures myself but if the time comes and nothing comes of it then there are other places to roleplay or read threads.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Experienced Adventurer

I don't think the Devs need to get involved in the RP stuff as much. Maybe offering a title or something like that if they do a competition.

That being said, however, there does need to be some organization or something. To be honest, I was interested in the Bard's Table when I first joined the Forums. However I found it rather hard to get into any role-play, unless I wanted to read many, many pages of what has happened before (the one I did join as it started died within a week or so).

Being a RPer myself, I understand the double-edged sword. If a story or plot is good, then it will keep going and have many, many pages but becomes intimidating to new players (and hard for them to join without that past history).

But I'll also be fair - I haven't gone into the Bard's Table in over nine months, so it's possible there have been other opportunities. (And I admit that I do have a DT story written on scraps of paper scattered about my house that I have yet to put together into a full story).

As another note, there aren't a lot of users on the forum as a whole. I know what the count says at the bottom of the main page, but that's just registered users, not active ones.

Chosen (unwillingly)
Acended One
Abyssal
Celestial
Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Yes, but I was there when the Bards Table first started up, and for several months afterwards. The forums were a more active place, once, and I'm wondering what happened since then.

I have had an idea, though. I've always preferred writing all the characters instead of just one, so I don't think I'm necessarily the best guy to start an RP (especially since I sometimes abandon a project mid-way through). However, it would seem wisest to have a set start and end point to an RP, one not intended to go for longer than a month or so. When it finishes, the whole party goes back to town either to celebrate victory or swear revenge over defeat, and then the thread ends. They start a new thread with a recap of the last one in the opening post, and they're already in town where it would make perfect sense for new adventurers to join the party. You could end up with a sort of comic book effect, where new heroes and villains constantly flow in and out of the story according to the preferences of the current set of writers.

This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination.

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:09 PM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Send a message via MSN to QTChi
Default Don't make me hurt you :O Y-You Hippo-crick! :O

Good thing you didn't post this in the Bard's Table - I would've smacked you upside-down. I'll try to make my comments brief since I've got work to get back to...

Renewed Disinterest?

Come on Ashen!!! You are barely here and every time you return, you post a thread in the forums complaining about inactivity. I love your writing, don't get me wrong, but aside from posting in your own thread - you never joined the other RPs that were active at the time!

And it wasn't lack of invitation too!

Gawd knows how I use to write to you, asking you to post in other places - or spam the OOC thread, hoping you'd see it and join in...

Also, inactivity most certainly isn't due to lack of welcome... Every time there is a new player who posts in the OOC thread in the Bard's Table, I do my best to introduce them into our RP world and hope they start writing. I link them to my RP Guide and I offer to proof-read any written stories they've got milling around in their Inbox.

How can you throw a curious rant into the forums about inactivity, when you, yourself have been prone to disappearing months at a time? OOOOH I've hunted you down - tried to poke you in other places in hopes you'd return to DT and throw some weight around - but I was told you are too busy with OOC stuff... school... virtual weasel... etc.

Is it remotely possible that other people could be like you as well?

They slowly digress off forums and into their RL "busyness". I clock in over 80-86 hours a week at RL work... I know other DT players who have become inactive because of RL issues (below are all true reasons why other players have gone afk):

~Moving to new location & new job/less online time
~Started University/College & stopped gaming
~No computer/Internet Time
~Spending more time on his/her artwork instead of writing
~Lack of interest in the redundant story lines
~Has a newborn baby so... no free time

As for your latest post regarding "return to town" so other people can leave/join - well... from my knowledge, that's the WHOLE point Only... we never even arrive at the adventure, let alone defeat monsters (this is true for almost every DT RP I've been in - it starts out great but we never get to the point and people eventually stop posting. I believe the longest RP we've managed to keep going was with Wyeel, InknForm and I... in Telethos Alternate World Thread)...

Perhaps instead of posting something like this - which honestly benefits no one and only brings back pangs of nostalgia - perhaps we should all focus on writing more in the Bards' Table... asking old contacts to come back and rejoin the lost fun and look around for new players to mingle in some fresh spice

Enuf said... I think my work phone is ringing again. Gah!

Now everyone get back to writing! Nao!!! :P

On a side note: I think you need a new banner Ashen The old one is beginning to irk me...

PPS: ALSO - Star was wondering where you found the photo of Maldeus - I think he wants to <3 the artist or something... heeheehee

PPPS! Erm... crap I forgot what I was going to ask you... >_<''

PPPPS - This doesn't mean you get off the hook with your next installment :O I'm still reading that! So you are obligated to still complete it

~ Qtchi's Profile ~

Last edited by QTChi; 08-26-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 AM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Send a message via MSN to QTChi

*mutters*

And there he goes...

~ Qtchi's Profile ~
Old 09-03-2010, 04:52 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Yes, it's amazing how yelling at me didn't galvanize me into more creative writing.

Do you assume everyone is an immature coward who will give you what you want if you can just scream loud enough, or have you somehow been given this impression of me, personally?

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!