Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Renovations and Reality Adjustments

Old 11-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Adventurer

Default Player interaction

I would like very much to be able to see player interaction game modes. Modes that encourage competition and cooperation.
The addition of the ranking systems and the competition groups was a step in the right direction. However, if we imposed time limits and wagers for meeting certain goals within the imposed time limit, then the nature of the competition switches from a passive struggle for dominance over to an aggressive race to the finish.
Looking at the diversity of TOAD system, it would make sense to allow players to pit their fighter against another players for bragging rights and experience.

Looking into the potential for guilds/gangs, we see endless opportunities for DT to become an active community for players to share events and build friendships. For example, the addition of skills that are only available to groups. The ability to GvG, The potential to explore as a group, or even share loot from killing an epic monstrosity.

Dragon Tavern is a brilliant game that yields endless potential through add-ons and intrinsic gameplay value, both of which are seldomly executed successfully. Dragon tavern shows its users much promise in the years to come, and the prospect of a huge spike in player population in the next year.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:10 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Adding all those things will destroy what DT stands for: a fun, quick, solo game

If you want all those things there are already plenty of other games out there but only one DT

There is plenty of scope to meet other players and make/build friendships in The Bards Table forum
Be awarned, least THEY appear
----------------------------------
To take thee to account, for thou current deeds
Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVisor View Post

If you want all those things there are already plenty of other games out there but only one DT
Exactly, Theres only 1 DT. i think when your 40 or so you should be able to do this stuff... volentarily.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Adventurer

Well I agree. the solo element of DT is what makes it so unique, and that is one of the many things about it that I enjoy. However, looking at the nature of Dragon Tavern's gameplay, the addition of a passive system that allows in game cooperation would make higher level gameplay modes seem slightly more interesting.
I suggest those merely as gameplay modes, not ovehauls to DT itself. I would never dream of asking the developers to destroy the aspect of a game that makes it so great, but will always be willing to ask the questions that no one else has.

But I ask you both, have you stopped to consider the power of my suggestions?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Dragon Tavern Overseer

Hi Acherion,

Thanks for the suggestions - we always appreciate them.

We will be looking to add ways to interact with other players down the track, but will be careful to make sure it doesn't detract from the solo game.

- DM.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Having actual player interaction within the game might be fun (just don't see how it would be implemented and in what way,but that's for the staff to decide ), just don't see how it would differe from what is already going on onthe forums (there is nothing that can not be soloed, obviously some are nastier than others and need careful preparation, but still nothing you need a group, or even a duo, for)
Old 11-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVisor View Post
Having actual player interaction within the game might be fun (just don't see how it would be implemented and in what way,but that's for the staff to decide ), just don't see how it would differe from what is already going on onthe forums (there is nothing that can not be soloed, obviously some are nastier than others and need careful preparation, but still nothing you need a group, or even a duo, for)
I agree that there might not be anything that big yet, but with the potential of creating exploration groups, we could modify the nature of competition such that it becomes multifaceted and the cap of difficulty can never be reached technically. By enabling the use of two character exploration, one would be able to add a level of depth that would encourage players to learn and explore multiple classes in order to pair themselves effectively. Such interaction would create more traffic for players that want to remove the "loneliness" that grinding can sometimes bring.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Adventurer

Not to be the Voice of Negativity here, but...

...if you're interested in interactive gameplay, wouldn't it make more sense to go play one of the 400,000+ interactive games out there?

I have a really, really hard time finding solo games to play. I was infuriated when one of my favorite solo games, Diablo 2, decided to add "extra cool stuff you could only do in battle.net mode." Like cooler weapons and armor that my character couldn't access because I preferred to play solo.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but... DT is cool because it is what it is. Changing it to be something else... would make it something else. I'm honestly not sure I understand what the point of doing that would be.

- saphie
Aoife Silverwing, lvl 23 Sky Guard
Larkspur Silverleaf, lvl 23 Moon Elf Cultivator

Competition Groups: Cheapskates

http://dragcave.net/user/starsaphire
Old 11-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphie View Post
Not to be the Voice of Negativity here, but...

...if you're interested in interactive gameplay, wouldn't it make more sense to go play one of the 400,000+ interactive games out there?

I have a really, really hard time finding solo games to play. I was infuriated when one of my favorite solo games, Diablo 2, decided to add "extra cool stuff you could only do in battle.net mode." Like cooler weapons and armor that my character couldn't access because I preferred to play solo.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but... DT is cool because it is what it is. Changing it to be something else... would make it something else. I'm honestly not sure I understand what the point of doing that would be.

- saphie
/agree 100%
Old 12-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Adventurer

i would suggest a basic way to do it is have a chat up in the tavern. since it is the main spot all of our characters are sitting anyway.

Other idea which would be quests, when you accept a quest it spends the action points required for it, and you can then invite others to the quest who can do the same. quests are tougher, and offer more reward.

again it breaks away from what DT is, but isn't DT an ever changing world? And at some point your going to have enough people online at the same time to make it worth it.

Tags
acherion, gvg