Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 09-14-2009, 02:55 AM
Experienced Adventurer

How do you guys manage to keep to one RP? I seem to have trouble joining a RP and staying.

http://jevolin.deviantart.com/
Old 09-14-2009, 03:03 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Send a message via AIM to Kelric Valas Send a message via Yahoo to Kelric Valas Send a message via Skype™ to Kelric Valas

That only means that you didn't belong in the RP to begin with, because you clearly lose interest. Relatively quickly too..from what I've noticed anyways. Which is good, essentially, because if you're not interested in the RP. You shouldn't be there any longer. If you feel like you're forced to post, it usually shows, and that only hurts the thread.

Last edited by Kelric Valas; 09-14-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:50 AM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Send a message via MSN to QTChi

Writer's Cramp is a syptom many of us find ourselves facing from time to time... but know this - all of us who are in a story are there because we enjoy writing and reading... we enjoy building characters and reading how other's perceive us. We love meeting new creations and watching them evolve.

Sure - RL sometimes takes a toll and drags us away from our virtual world... but a few stubborn folks crawl back and take the time to post.

RP is sorta a semi-commitement. If you join one, stick to it. You aren't in a lot of RP at the moment Silthian and don't be pressured into joining more then 1 RP if you cannot handle that many.

Simply work on 1 RP and work on your posts before you actually post it in the forums. Be mroe descriptive and aware of your surroundings... and remember to try and interact with the others.

And remember to have fun
:: ANIMATED BANNER DESIGNER ::
Order yours at the Dragon Tavern Official Signature & Avatar Shop FREE!

~ Qtchi's Profile ~

Last edited by QTChi; 09-14-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelric Valas View Post
That only means that you didn't belong in the RP to begin with, because you clearly lose interest. Relatively quickly too..from what I've noticed anyways. Which is good, essentially, because if you're not interested in the RP. You shouldn't be there any longer. If you feel like you're forced to post, it usually shows, and that only hurts the thread.
yeah...what he said <.<
Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Experienced Adventurer

This sounds like interesting stuff. I'll have to think about getting into it.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Experienced Adventurer

It is! Oooh wish I knew about RP-ing sooner. DT is my first =P

Character Profiles: Lysiris Farandir & Iridris Farandir
Old 09-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Experienced Adventurer

I think the bottom line (if there exists such a thing) is that you are either IN or you are OUT of RPing...pretty much what Kelric mentioned However, the problem many of us have faced in this community is a character taking part in a story (or writing the story for cryin' out loud!) and then disappearing for weeks, months, etc.

You know who you are!

Obviously no one has any bounding contractual agreement to stick with the RPs, but IMHO, if someone is going knowling going to disappear, then they should at least take a little time to write themselves out of the story for the time being.

That being said, there are instances where you may NOT know that you suddenly have to disappear and that's understandable because of RL, but if you can take a few minutes to drop in and let everyone else know and then writing yourself out (or asking another trusted player to write you out) would help tremdously.

The rules we lay out here are rather simple so everyone can have fun and not feel pressure to post every single day, but there is a big difference between posting every few days and vanishing without a trace...
Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 AM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Send a message via MSN to QTChi

*Attached two more installments to the RP Guide.

GREAT NEWS! So far, people reading the guides have picked up some of my suggestions! ^_^ I'm kinda thrilled... it only took me a year to make the guys in these other sites learn how to RP properly!!!

*wipes a tear away*

~ Qtchi's Profile ~

Last edited by QTChi; 11-10-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:18 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Send a message via AIM to Kelric Valas Send a message via Yahoo to Kelric Valas Send a message via Skype™ to Kelric Valas

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTChi View Post
GREAT NEWS! So far, people reading the guides have picked up some of my suggestions! ^_^ I'm kinda thrilled... it only took me a year to make the guys in these other sites learn how to RP properly!!!
Awesome! I wish I could do that good! I wish I could RP like yous and Ink-a-dinky. ;_; Maybe one day, right?

Speaking of Ink-a-dink, how's everything going for you? (Like. How are teh baybees?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inknform
The rules we lay out here are rather simple so everyone can have fun and not feel pressure to post every single day, but there is a big difference between posting every few days and vanishing without a trace...
Yes..we certainly despise it when people Poof! "Oh noz~ I am le gone!" If you really want to get some Rping in, do what I do. Amongst others too. Make your own thread. Now..I'm not saying everbody starts making their own threads and trying to get everyone to join them. The inactivity wouldn't be able to handle such actions and you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment. Instead..venture out on your own.

Make a story, pretty much. Do it for some criticism, or just because you feel like writing. We usually wont say anything unless you ask to be pegged as a target. Then I'm usually loading my guns for mortal blows to the mind, if you know what I mean. =P

I try not be too cruel, but sometimes that's how it comes out. Best to just ignore it (the "mean" side of it, I mean) and just take whatever you can from it. I know I'm not the best RPer, and honestly I believe I'm rather bad, but hey. If I can help anyone out there. I will.

Another method which is really nice is making a closed thread, but try talking to a few people in PMs which have shown in the past they're relatively good at RPing. Like Q and Ink. Wyeel is an excellent RPer, but I wouldn't recommend trying to learn from her. She's a great RPer, DO NOT get me wrong. She really knows what she wants in a thread, but it seems as though her tolerance for the slow and..dimwitted is very, very low. She's still excellent and we love her. Somebody does, right? ( Dos zhaun F'sarn jivvust bauth, Pookie. Ditronw? xD )

I feel it's always nice to have a little "buddy" to RP with. Get a thread for the two, maybe three of you, and just play with it. Talk in the forum's PM systems if you ever have any questions about the plot, or need a further description about something, and make the best of it! I was just enjoying it until someone suddenly flaked out and disappeared on my poor Storm Lord. *Cough-cough.* I don't like naming names or anything, but I'll just say Ink likes to disappoint me...oops.

Best of luck to you guys out there! Hopefully you can get your own story going, jump into one that is already on the move, or simply take the time to make a person story. (Y'know, like the post I should have been typing up for the Prime Minister right now instead of this one? Hahaha..I seemed to have gotten a little carried away, yes?) Whatever you do though..just make sure that you don't make a story, wrangle a couple of people in with you, and then suddenly lose the desire to either continue said story, or RPing altogether and just leave. Because we don't like that..at all, and we hate it when people (especially those RUNNING the thread go "Le gone!") just disappear. We have no idea why they're gone. We hope it's nothing serious. It just sucks when they pop in 3 months later saying "I just got bored" and that's the end of it. Like..some..crazy Death Knights.
>.>
<.<

I have to stop myself 'cause I'm clearly rambling. Hopefully something in this post helps you. If not..HAHAAHAHA. I made you waste a few minutes of your life. Take it, sucka!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Vel'bol?! Lu'oh Kuuv dos lar uns'aa nindel! L' ilharess ilhar orn naut tlu sae'uth!

Mir pholor... nindel zhah ou'tix reiyal quarthes hmm?

Makes me feel like I'm some low tolerance wicked drow priestess who will turn the dimwitted into something worse than a spider... a dimwitted spider. nyiahaAHAhahaAH!

Vel'uss zhah Pookie a l' i'dol? That's your headless pet right? Tell him I love him too >..<

Character Profiles: Lysiris Farandir & Iridris Farandir

Last edited by Wyeel; 11-16-2009 at 01:15 AM.