Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Adventurer

In his mind, the decision was made hours ago, even when essentially blind to much of what the quest entailed. It matter little to the wing commander, a man who found himself gravitating to the excitment of the journey as a child to a new toy. There had been times throughout Gabriel`s life where servitude, even to the Mountain Kingdom, was questioned in his own thoughts. Sleepless nights were no stranger, and the solitary question lingered over his head for many years:

What is my calling?

However, with the introduction of this task appointed to him and his company, he has once again been put back on the correct track. As could be seen within the eyes of the elven ranger, Iridris, hope and purpose was restoring itself within the Skyguard Commander.

"Preparations will be made right away, and I already have a pretty good idea as to whom I will appoint to accompany this expedition." Gabriel said with a renewed vigor, as a smile crossed his face. "You are correct regarding stealth, as it can be a great ally indeed. I have no reservations about limiting the number of wingmen to three."

The captain took a long drink from his ale, and finished the last few drops before placing it back down onto the table and smiling.

"All this speak of travel has brought quite a thirst to me..." He said with a chuckle. "...so, with your permission, m`lady, I would ask to excuse myself to begin with preparations."
Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 PM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Send a message via MSN to QTChi
Default The Witch

Pain flared through her as her guard gave her a shove from behind, roughly. Stumbling, the young girl tried to ignore the shivers of pain flowing down her spine. Didnae the man know a'm injured? Her eyes narrowed upon the path before her and she struggled to keep her breathing steady. As she was prodded along, the young girl silently cursed her own carelessness and her mind raced to come up with an escape plan. Carefully, she tested her bonds knotting her hands together. After a few unsuccessful tries, all she did was tenderize the skin around her wrist and earn another heavy prod. Despair rose to grip her throat and she blinked back tears from her eyes...

But now was not the time to give-in to despair.

Dimly, she realized they were entering the gates of the City. Even with her hood shading her eyes, the young girl could make out the glint of enchanted glyphs and other wards that covered the walls surrounding the place. The sounds of marching reached her ears and the young girl turned her head, her jaw dropping.

Rows and rows of soldiers were marching along the shadows of the towering walls. Even from the distance, she could see their steel plated amours and the flash of yellow that each soldier wore upon their arms. As her blood pounded within her ears, the young girl stood at a stand-still, gaping at the sight of such forces. This earned her another shove.

”Keep it moving,” The guard sneered again, his voice dripping with contempt.

The young girl tried to glare at him, but the wound upon her back flared to life, making her face pale further. Contenting herself with a growl, she bowed her head in compliance as she was dragged through the gates and deeper into the heart of the city. It was a bustling place… full of merchants, travelers and the sounds of the City that overwhelmed her. Her whole life, she had nay been in a place full of such colors and wonders. While her mind swam from being in such close distances with so many warm bodies, the young girl drank in all the sights and sounds that surrounded her…until her vision began to swim and her wound throbbed.

Qtchi wondered how she was going ta die...again.

The streets blurred and she could no longer make out the names etched over the building fronts. Before her, a guard abruptly stopped and gestured to the man behind her. Rough hands gripped her and began to search her body; even as words of protest formed upon her lips, the command filled the air.

”Search her and make sure she is truly unarmed,” The leader spoke in clipped tones, barely giving the girl a passing glance.

”Oi, unhand me ye lout!” She spoke fiercely between clenched teeth. Pain flared from her shoulder and traveled down her arm, but the young girl ignored it. ”Ye lousy pigs hav’ already searched me once…outside the City walls. Untie me and face me like a man, ye coward!” She directed her last words towards the leader of the guards and spat vehemently onto the cobblestones path lining their feet.

Her voice ranged out over those mingling beside them and magically, the crowd began to form a ring around the young girl and her captors. From behind her, hands suddenly tightened around her arms and she was shook roughly, the motion causing her hood to drop back. A few gasps filled the air as the girl’s face was revealed…

At first glance, she appeared to be quite young. The sunlight fell upon a petite young girl with long ebony curls that fell in a disarray upon her shoulders. She stood, a head shorter then the guards that were holding her captive. Translucent skin enhanced her delicate features and long lashes framed a pair of luminous turquoise eyes, that were now focused upon her captor with such contempt she was astonished he didnae drop dead in an instant.

As if on cue, a door opened and a drunken patron exited the tavern upon her right. He came to an abrupt halt, his stupor slowly fading as he blinked at the scene before him. Turning her head, the young girl gave him a glance, when an idea suddenly entered her mind.

”Help me Sir’rah!” She cried desperately, lunging towards the man. Immediately, the guard tightened his hands and pulled her back. ”A’ve done nuthin’ wrong,” She spoke helplessly, her face beseechingly turned towards the others who were watching the scene. ”Please help me!” She cried.

Almost immediately, the leader of the guards whirled around and strode towards the struggling girl. A hand lifted in the air - as if to strike the poor girl - when he suddenly realized the number of eyes watching the spectacle. Using it to her advantage, Qtchi flung herself onto the ground, her shoulders heaving as she ignored the pain coming from her injuries.

”Dunnae hurt me Sir’rah! A’m innocent,” She sobbed against the ground, her body trembling. From her angle, she could see the legs of the drunken stranger and the young girl prayed he would intervene on her behalf. To her dismay, she watched him turn around and disappear back into the swinging doors of the tavern. The guard reached down and dragged her back to her feet, forcing her to tilt her head back and stare into his angry face.

The young girl stood frozen in place, her eyes wide. A chill began at the base of her spine, the same sensation she had felt earlier just seconds before she was brutally attacked by a pack of ghouls out by the outskirts of the Mountain Kingdom. It was painful, but it held a promise of energy and anger waiting to be unleashed. She held her ground, staring at the man, but he wasnae looking at her.

”She’s a witch,” He growled at the concerned crowd of people watching with dropped jaws. ”Don’t believe her innocent looks - she kin raise the dead!”

”Speak, woman!” He snapped, whipping his gaze back at his young charge. His fists tightened around the front of her tunic. ”Tell the others what you are!”

~ Qtchi's Profile ~
Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Experienced Adventurer

She did not realize how truly weary she was until the next morning. A broad ray of sunlight was shining through the open curtains, bathing her face in its warmth. Though it was early winter, there was naught but a wispy trace of dark clouds as far as she could see - through the window that is.

Bidding the others goodnight, she had made her way back to her suite. Noticing a rack of books containing various volumes of literature from the three races, she selected one, got into bed and promptly fell asleep. Her training as a ranger usually kept her at a constant state of alertness; even when asleep, she was never prone to such deep slumbers but lately, that hadn't been the case.

One more day and I'll be far away from these impracticalities. She couldn't help reassuring herself as she stepped into a new dress, fashioned similar to the other but of a pale teal colour. Grabbing her forest green cloak, she made her way out into the empty hallway.

"Quel're, arwen en amin!" The aged man greeted her as Iridris came down the stairs to the common dining area.

"Quel amrun iant edan." Iridris replied smiling in return.

"Amrun? Il amrun nan' andune, arwen en amin."
The innkeeper replied with a chuckle.

"Mani? Amin lorna tanya an?!"
Well, she was more tired than she imagined.

"Alas, my elven escapes me,"
he grinned "yes, you slept that long. It's just past afternoon now. Would you like something to eat?"

"Uma... I mean, yes of course. Something simple perhaps? I plan to go on a little trip. It has been a while since I saw the City."

"No problem. Won't be long..."
The innkeeper replied as he turned to give the order to the kitchens.

And so, Iridris set out on her little escapade, her cloak carefully covering her hair, lest its uncommon luster attract unwanted attention. Stepping lightly over the snow patched cobblestones, she rummaged in a small pouch on her belt and took out her lunch. Munching away, she breezed past the frozen fountain at the entrance to the Haldan and made her way out into the more common section of the city. Subconsciously her hand felt for the dagger strapped on the other side of her belt, hidden under her cloak when she rounded a corner and came face to face with a large crowd.

”Help me Sir’rah!” the cry rang out, clearly distinguished through the commotion with the help of her elven heritage.

What now...

After the previous day's charade, Iridris had had more than her share of commotions. However, with a city as large as the Mountain Kingdoms, such things were obviously not uncommon.

Iridris had half a mind to turn away and ignore the crowd but her sense of justice demanded action, in the forward direction. Never one to debate things for long, the elf let out a sigh of frustration before striding forward towards the ring of people. With a few well placed prods, she finally stood on the inner ring of the crowd.

”She’s a witch,”
A guard captain was telling the concerned crowd of people. ”Don’t believe her innocent looks - she kin raise the dead!”

Deadlander, why is it always them? Even as that thought crossed her mind, she realized that the problem sometimes lay closer to home.

Iridris cast her eyes at the girl, her own turquoise eyes wide and staring at one of the guards, pain and perhaps anger emanating from them. Unlike the day before, Iridris was reluctant to outwardly confront the guard. Well at least, not yet. Patiently, she waited for the right moment to act.

Character Profiles: Lysiris Farandir & Iridris Farandir

Last edited by Wyeel; 06-11-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Adventurer

The anticipation had seemed overwhelming at times, yet he didn`t allow his focus to waver. The Telethos journey was one of vast exploration, new sites, smells, and experiences, which could be shared with those in the community of the Mountain Kingdom. Gabriel imagined much as he walked through the various corridors and ascended massive staircases to enter into the SkyGuard sector of the Kingdom, where preparations would be underway. Two of the most capable riders were chosen by the captain to accompany him on the journey, and Horacio, his second in command, was tasked with staying behind and assuming leadership until further notice.

Both he and Horacio discussed the pending matters within and outside the Kingdom that would need to be addressed during the time of Gabriel`s absence. Security checks, day/night patrol, reconnaissance, and various other typical protocols were reviewed enroute to the SkyGuard quarter. Through the narrowed corridors, the stirring of the City`s community could be heard, and the shouts of soldiers resonated.

"What do you think that could be all about?..." Horatio inquired, turning his attention to the open-arched windows which lined the corridor. "...a mob, perhaps?..." He raised an eyebrow at the idea, but then returned his attention forward again.

"Whatever the matter, the Watch has it under control I`m sure." Gabriel said with slight shrug. "...and we`ve work to do now to prepare for this eve..."

"I must admit Gabriel, you`ve come a long way within this kingdom and have seen the unimaginable, yet the idea of another journey still excites you..." Horacio chuckled, as he walked alongside his Captain and friend, on their way to the Aviary Tower, which was the highest peak of the Kingdom. "But, I certainly hope I have the same opportunity as you one day and can leave this place for adventure."

Gabriel slowed his stride and turned his head toward Horatio. "My friend, I pray you neither envy, nor covet another, but instead realize how much of an asset you are to this Kingdom and her surrounding lands." He placed a firm hand on Horatio`s shoulder. "I put you in command because I trust and respect your judgment, and those are not easy traits to find in a man. So count it all a joyful thing, Horatio, that you have position which matters very much to this community`s safety and security." Gabriel then resumed a normal stride as they walked through the long corridor.

Horatio grinned widely to himself, yet feeling a bit uncomfortable with such accolades thrown his way. He strove, since his acceptance into the SkyGuard academy, to serve not only his Kingdom, but his brothers-in-arms to best of his ability. Could it be that a leadership role, albeit a temporary one, was just the challenge I need? Horatio mused.

"Of course..." Gabriel continued "...You know I`ll grab you a shiny souvenir from the North anyway, right?"

Their burst of laughter echoed down the hallway.

The Aviary itself was a symbol of the grace and skill each of the Elven and Dwarven artisans within the Mountain Kingdom held. Their combined craft allowed for a unique design, ranging from great stained-glass windows, to intricate tapestries lining the walls. The stables at the very top of the tower, housing the mighty Gryphons, withstood the test of time, pressure of air, and wind for countless years. Each mount was given the best care and attention that was possible, assuring proper training, feeding, grooming, and medical needs. The joke which circulated throughout the SkyGuard sector was that "the birds were fed better than the soldiers". This was probably a truth, but one that was never contested.

"Let us make our preparations swiftly..." Gabriel said, staring out into the vast landscape from atop the tower.

Last edited by Raven; 05-21-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:27 PM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Default The Witch II

The girl glared as his fist tightened and she found herself almost lifted off the ground.

”Oi!” She exclaimed, teetering upon her toes. To her horror, the wound upon her shoulder flared and the young girl hissed in pain. ”Unhand me... S-Something is wrong Sir’rah.” Her voice was strained and around her slender wrist, the silver bracelet hidden beneath her sleeve, gave off a soft chime…

”What is this?” A new voice ranged into the clearing and magically, the crowd parted. The guard gripping her tunic gave her a smirk, before he suddenly shoved her back and turned to face the speaker.

”Good day Captain,” Her captor spoke in smooth tones and promptly bent at his waist into a deep bow. Gripping her injured shoulder, the young girl lifted her chin and blinked at the two strangers riding through the dense crowd. Both men were dressed in fine amour that obviously belonged to soldiers of significant rank and the horses they were riding were magnificent beasts drawing a spark of envy from the young girl. The sun burned brightly behind the two men and the young girl found her eyes squinting at the bright reflection of their ornate helms. There was no wind and the dull yellow cloaks both men wore, rested listlessly against their sides, doing nothing to compliment their elven complexion. Even as the guard before her straightened, she caught sight of the sword strapped upon one of the rider. He rode a few paces closer, whilst the other elf politely waited in the rear.

Gesturing to the young girl, the elf gave the guard a sharp look. ”I find myself repeating my question soldier,” The elf said impatiently, "What is the meaning of this?"

”Y-Yes Sir!” The man bowed again, electing to speak his words towards the ground. ”We found this witch by the gates of the City practicing her magic.” The guard paused and turned towards the young girl with a sneer upon his face. She could’ve sworn that was a malicious glint within his eye as he continued to talk, raising his voice so the crowd could hear his next words. ”This girl is nothing but a deadlander…one who can raise the dead!”

As the crowd murmured under their breath, the girl seethed silently and glared at the guard.

”I see,” The Captain replied, though his tone implied the opposite. ”And you decided to take it upon yourself to arrest this lady and force her into the City?” He asked mildly, his eyes now upon the young girl.

Placated by the Captains’ mild tones, the guard drew himself upright with a smug expression. ”Yes! That I did, Captain…before this fiend caused more trouble… Deadlanders-” He continued in a disgusted tone, ”-cannot be trusted. No doubt this girl was going to raise an army and breach the City walls.”

She snorted very unladylike, and the Captain raised an eyebrow in her direction. When the elf Captain opened his mouth to speak, one could hear the hint of amusement hidden within the depths of his words. ”Are you telling me this girl is plotting to take over the entire City? Sergeant, have you no idea how ridiculous this inquiry is?”

Hearing the uneasy murmurs of the crowd, the young girl felt the guard beside her take a step backwards. His eyes were wide as he dared a glance at the Qtchi. ”B-But Sir, we have seen her work her black magic! Young Madjon was the one who found her - with a whole pack of undead creatures I might add!”

At those words, a murmur rose from the crowd and a few of them shuffled upon their feet uneasily. Her hand tightened around her injured arm, and the girl kept her eyes upon the elf Captain. He was considering the situation; Qtchi could see it upon his face and hear it in his voice when he turned a kind gaze upon her face.

”Perhaps the lady can tell us her side of the story,” He said, paying no attention to the jittery crowd. With a indignant look, the guard opened his mouth to speak, but the captain silenced him with a raised hand.

”Go on child, tell me what really happened...”

~ Qtchi's Profile ~

Last edited by QTChi; 05-22-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Oh horrors! I left out a comma....heh ^_^
Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Iridris was unsure what to make of the guard's explanation. She kept her ground even when the crowd began dispersing; though a few scattered observers remained, watching from a distance. This new development proved to be in the deadlander girl's favour, at least for the time being. The elven Captain appeared to be considerate and wise in carrying out his duties as he handled the situation.

Curious to see how it would all play out, Iridris did not realise she was the only civilian observer within twenty feet of the center of attraction. That is, until a sharp command rang from somewhere behind her.

"You there! In the green cloak, clear the area now!" It was the other elf who accompanied the Captain.

Mother Moon! I cannot leave until I'm sure of the outcome...

Old 05-22-2009, 11:32 PM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Default The Witch III

Child?

The girl blinked rapidly in disapproval, but now was truly not the time to dispute her age. The other elf raised his voice and gestured impatiently at someone behind her - "You there! In the green cloak, clear the area now!" His cry made her blink in surprise and Qtchi realized the crowd was being shuffled backwards, creating a larger ring around the young girl and the remaining guards.

Do they think I will suddenly spring on them and attack? She wondered, gripping her injured arm so tightly her fingers left marks upon her skin. Breathing heavily, she managed to keep her anger checked as she faced the Captain.

”Tis true,” She said, breaking the tension with words she forced out between gritted teeth. ”The guards found me outside City walls, amidst a group of the risen dead.”

Almost immediately, the crowd broke out into hushed whispers and a few onlookers backed away on their own accord. Though, she had her back towards the majority of bystanders, the girl could hear the surprised gasps and feel their accusatory eyes boring into the back of her head. Unease crossed her features when Q realized she had no energy to defend herself - should the crowd decided to attack her.

”Ha!” Her captor interrupted her thoughts with a gleeful look. Drawing himself to his full-height, the man sneered at the young girl. ”The witch admits it! She is up to no good.”

The Captain held up a hand to silence the guard, then gestured for the girl to continue speaking.

Blood was beginning to well from her wound and it seeped into her tunic, turning it a shade darker. Her head started throbbing and a strange buzz filled her ears. ”A’h dunae know where they came from,” She heard herself explaining in a low and husky voice. The air was suddenly heavy with the salty scent of her own blood, enticing her, and the girl licked her lips nervously.

“They appeared out of nowhere… “ She continued, her voice growing fainter and fainter. “I tried to stop them…then the guards arrived…“

”Hey…” Her voice trailed off as she swayed upon her feet. Her eyes clouded with confusion, as a rivulet of blood emerged from the edge of her sleeve and dripped off her fingers. The world was growing brighter by the minute and the girl found her eyes squinting at the blurred elf upon his mount. ”…there’s two of ye?” She asked faintly, just as the world began to tilt and the girl staggered to keep upright. Why are ye fighting? The voices in her head echoed loudly, as her legs suddenly buckled and the girl fell onto her knees.

”I dunnae know,” She answered out loud, missing the surprised look upon the Captain’s face. Blackness closed over Qtchi and the young girl didnae feel her face strike the ground, nor see anything after that moment…

T’was such a pity too… for it was that moment, a carrier pigeon passing overhead, decided to bestow a single splat of pure whiteness upon her captor’s head. The man released a anguish roar, one would have thought a minotaur had rammed its horns onto his back.

”Soldier, calm yourself!” The Captain barked, his face pulled in a disapproving look as the crowd tittered around them. The elf started to dismount when a voice interrupted his advance -

”Captain,” The sergeant called out, riding forward to reach the Captain‘s side. ”Perhaps it is best we have our guest removed to a secure location until she regains consciousness?” He suggested, his eyes conveying the hidden meaning behind his careful words. ”Surely the prison guards can locate a physician to tend any illnesses she seems to be suffering from?”

His Captain clenched his fists around the leather reigns, but the elf knew the sergeant was right. The girl was in no condition to be interrogated and without any evidence he could not accuse her of anything. Similarly, the Captain could not admonish the guard in front of the watching public, whom was beginning to irritate his senses.

Whether the girl was guilty or not, the guard should not have treated her with such disrespect.

Giving the fallen girl a glance, he beckoned to the soldier standing behind his squawking leader. ”Bring her to the reformatory,” He ordered the man, grinding his teeth when the man reached down to roughly jerk the girl off the ground. ”Gently!” He snapped at the insolent man. His eyes flashed angrily as he jerked his horse around and began to disperse the nosy crowd.

When will I have subordinates that did not act like idiots? He wondered wearily.

~ Qtchi's Profile ~

Last edited by QTChi; 05-22-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: There is no editing cure for my crappy post *sob*
Old 05-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Iridris did not budge from her spot. The Sergeant immediately assuming she would follow orders like any other good citizen, turned away to busy himself with his duties. Iridris was promptly left alone for the time being.

The girl's story proved to be rather intriguing, if she told the truth. Presuming she did, the idea that there were free undead walking near the city walls was rather disturbing. Unlike a common peasant, her travels told her that not all undead were friends with deadlanders. It could not be possible that she would dare attack a whole city by herself. If a single necromancer could achieve such a feat, the Mountain Kingdoms would have been long ago, be overun by the dead.

Mid way through her explanation, something seemed to pass over the deadlander girl and she suddenly said something that drew a surprised look from the Captain. Iridris drew in a breath as the girl began swaying on her feet. Just before she toppled over, the noble caught sight of a dark red stain upon the girl's robes, around her shoulder.

She's hurt more than she initially let out! Iridris realised even as her feet automatically began swiftly carrying her towards the fallen girl. She only wondered why the girl appeared to be so defiant despite what she suffered. Iridris hissed in annoyance as she saw one of the soldiers began roughly jerking the girl off the ground and she quickened her stride.

However, when she was but a few feet away, the now annoying Sergeant once again decided that he wanted to step on her toe again.

"Hey, YOU! I told you to get moving!"

Iridris ignored the man and hurried towards the guard supporting the girl.

"Get back here! What are you doing?!" When it seemed obvious that the cloaked woman was not going to stop, the Sergeant spurred his mount forwards until he overtook her. Vaulting himself down by her side, he roughly grasped her shoulder and jerked her around to face him.

"What do you think you're doi-" his voice caught in his throat when the abrupt movement caused the woman's hood to fall back. Silverish-blue hair spilled out to shroud the woman's delicate shoulders even as the Sergeant's shocked eyes went from the tattoo of vines by the side of her face to the silver clasp at her throat. A gift from Arten, the clasp was engraved with an image of a prancing fox, underneath the arch of two willow trees. The emblem of House Farhan'thirindir. One of the most influential Houses to the Elven King.

Iridris cast her azure eyes towards the poor Sergeant who hastily retreated with bows and mumbled apologies. The damage was done and there was no hiding it. Ignoring the crowd, Iridris looked to the Sergeant who was fidgeting around and mumbling excuses.

"Up with you! You did nothing wrong for you did not know. Now quickly, let me speak to the Captain. The girl cannot be brought to the prisoner's reformatory! I daren't think of what they would do to her. The people these days have lost their sense of honour and respect!"

"Yes m'Lady, of course!" The Sergeant replied as he made his leave to find the Captain.

Gritting her teeth in frustration at the way things were handled, Iridris took it upon herself to look for the Captain.

"I've changed my mind, see to it that the girl is put on a stretcher or a cart. Dragging her around like this would make things worse. I'll look for the Captain myself." Brushing past the soldier, Iridris made her way towards the mounted soldier.

"May I have a word Captain?" She said just as the officer managed to disperse the crowd; though the last few to leave caught sight of the noble and the whispers began anew.

"What's wrong with you people!? Get moving!"

"Captain!"

"What is it now?" Exasperated, the officer reigned his horse around to face Iridris. At the sight of her, his eyes widened and he quickly dismounted, smoothly going onto one knee in a respectful manner.

"Vedui' arwen en amin!" He greeted.

"Vedui', no' ile talwi Nikerym." She replied.

"Thank you m'Lady." The Captain replied, getting to his feet.

"I see you have handled to situation very well, Captain. I commend you."

Misunderstanding her blunt statement for sarcasm, he replied.

"My utmost apologies m'Lady, if I knew you were watching I would most certainly have seeked your opinion. I am sorry."

"Please don't, may I ask what you make of this matter?"

"I admit that I cannot decide m'Lady. It is most certainly obvious that the girl cannot be planning to assault the city. However, I have no solid evidence of that, furthermore, the idea that stray undead can get so close to the city is very disturbing. The patrols will have to answer for that, I assure you."

"Indeed... May I ask a favour of you Captain?"
Iridris asked, putting on a smile.

"Anything, arwen en amin!" the Captain replied with a bow.

"Leave the girl to me." Seeing a frown crease the Captain's forehead she quickly added, "I will be responsible for whatever happens, rest assured Nikerym."

"I... are you sure m'Lady? If you will forgive me asking; your family is one I hold in very high regard and I do not wish to see anything scar its honourable name."

"I am Captain, I thank you for your sincerity. Worry not, something tells me it is not the girl we should be worried about but the undead. See to it Captain. Just have some people bring the girl to my place."

"With utmost care." Iridris added meaningfully as the Nikerym took his leave.

Last edited by Wyeel; 06-11-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Default Chapter 4: Chasing the Darkness

, . ; ' ~ * ~ ' ; . , . ; ' ~ * ~ ' ; . ,

The morning light had faded into a dull lightening of the sky. It was just a few hours past midday but dark clouds had rolled in from nowhere, ushered in by ferocious gales. Iridris sat by her bedside, gently wiping a wet cloth over the girl's forehead as she lay covered by the sheets. A physician had earlier came by to tend to her wounds and bandage it up. The bleeding had been stopped but the girl was probably still too weak. The crimson stains upon the elf's dress had now turned to a brownish colour. Sitting there, Iridris finally found the time to ponder over the previous happenings.

Already occupied with her expedition, this new occurrence brought a new burden upon her already laden mind. Sighing, Iridris rinsed the cloth in a small bowl and resumed her wiping. She knew not the good of what that did but a past memory of when she was little, and when her mother was... not busy with other things, brought feelings of comfort to her. When she was sick, hurt or even suffering from some trivial childish disappointment, her mother used to do the same for her; and it somehow made everything alright. It even brought up memories of her younger sister, when Iridris had been more of a mother to Lysiris than their own.

Last edited by Wyeel; 09-07-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:20 PM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Default The Infirmary

Awareness returned little by little.

First the sensation of warmth. Not like fire, nor even sunshine. A soft warmness. Then sound, though it was no more than a breeze sighing through trees. Then scent. Many subtle aromas - fire, both wood smoke and the spicy aroma of medicine, clean water, the particular thick scent air takes before a coming storm, and strangely, there was the sweet musky smell of the forest - all blending in a pleasant whole. Last of all came true awareness.

Qtchi opened her eyes. She lay in a soft bed wide enough for three people, her head nestled on goose down pillows, her body wrapped in soft sheets over which had been laid a warm green coverlet. A massive fireplace stood on the wall opposite her bed. A fire was burning to embers in it - more for the light it provided, in view of the coming storm, then for warmth. Tiles the color of rich ream lined the floor, over which lay thick rugs. A door of some wood the hue of burnt cinnamon centered the wall to the right of her bed.

She sat up and a tiny spark of pain ran through her shoulder. She looked down and realized two things. First, the wound near her shoulder had stopped bleeding and a thick gauge was now wrapped around the affected area. Second, she could not sit up.

Her back fell against the pillows as she waited for the ceiling to stop swirling. Through it all, she heard movement beside her and the girl widened her eyes upon the lady beside her. She seemed close to Qtchi’s age, perhaps a bit older. The pale blue eyes, the long hair the color of dew upon a raven’s back, and skin the color of honeyed wax gave her the look of one of the elves. Well, that and her pointy ears, Q thought wryly to herself. The lady was rinsing a cloth within a bowl of water and the young girl opened her mouth to speak.

”Is this the infirmary?” The young girl asked in wonderment. She was expecting to awaken upon the straw prison pallets of the prisons or worse, chained in the dungeons…

This isnae so bad, She thought to herself, wondering what fortune had befallen her. Perhaps there is benevolent people left in this world… The girl reminded herself to thank the Captain if she lived long enough to see him again.

~ Qtchi's Profile ~