Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Renovations and Reality Adjustments

Old 07-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Administrator

We've just finished implementing a new location.
We'll be taking a look at some of the game-balance issues that have been reported and see what we see.

Puffles, your concerns do warrant investigation and some further number crunching on how it works, but I don't think it's as doom and gloom as you portray it There's a question of timing for a lot of powers, and personal tastes.

I'm sure we'll make some changes to even the score however, especially if after we check it thoroughly we find we've made an oopsie somewhere. Most of the skills were pretty well balanced when we launched, but adding a few along the line may have thrown off that in ways we hadn't anticipated.

Thanks for feedback from all of you. Just saying again that we do read these posts, even if we don't reply to them all (or many of them) in the enhancement suggestion area.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:49 AM
Miniature Antispam Device

You could've told me that before I spent 600 credits on skill resets...

Thanks for the new location, though.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Hardcore ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Old 09-02-2009, 04:00 AM
Adventurer

I know this isn't merchant vs attack related, but it is unbalanced skill point relations.

I just want to say that I think ultimate points are unbalanced. The Armament skills go off every time you are within the given range and sometimes for 3-4 extra points instead of just 2. The Protection skills however only have a chance of going off when within the range (maybe 50%, range 1-9 points over success at level 5) and never give any extra benefit.

Also (as has been stated elsewhere) Armament skills will reduce the number of rolls that need to be made, while Protection simply means you have to re-roll the escaped wound.

As a starter suggestion to fix this, I think Protection should also allow your wounds to get healed, at least occasionally, similar to the triple and quad hits of Armament skills.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Dragon Tavern Overseer

Armament isn't too useful against normal minions, though. And its higher level powers are less useful against elite minions than protection powers are.

- DM

Old 09-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Adventurer

Well, personally I see the merchant skills as like some sort of "support" or complement skills to the combat ones, so you can spend some points on them to make getting equipment a tad easier, but mostly on the combat stuff...
Old 09-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damana Mathos View Post
Armament isn't too useful against normal minions, though. And its higher level powers are less useful against elite minions than protection powers are.
Well, I see your point, and that makes me feel a little better, but I still don't really like that each time you're spared the wound you still have to try the attack again. It just doesn't feel like it's saving you all that much. It feels like it needs a little more punch to the power... maybe it's just me.

I like the "best offense is a good defense" style of play, but this skill lacks something. Perhaps if it just activated more often, or in a bigger range. Right now, it seems to only trigger in the 1-9 over range, and 50% of the time. I don't know how much of that is a factor of my 5 ranks.

Maybe we could have each number have it's own percentage to trigger at each rank of protection skill. For example, have 50% for 1-5 over, 40% for 6-10, 30% for 10-15, 20% for 16-20, 10% for 20-25, and 0% for 26-30 at rank 5. Again, this is purely example as I haven't spaded out the mechanics of this skill yet.

Thanks for your time and response guys. And for a great little game. ^_^
Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Adventurer

Default Merchant skills

Hello,
I'm a new player that went merchant before I figured out how to use the forums and am wondering if any further changes to the skills have been done since 2009. Also, I cant seem to see the total improvements for a skill that has more than 1 rank. I have 4/4 in Junk Dealer and it only shows as +2% value in common goods. How do you see the other ranks? Is it not cumulative?

Thanks,
Tigere
Old 02-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Adventurer

Default Merchants are still weak.

I have one character that I've been running as purely merchant skills since I created him, just to try something different. I've made it to level 50 with his second incarnation and I've been paying much closer to him this time through. I must say, It is as doom and gloom as it sounds in this thread. I may add the lucky power to him next time through to see how much of a difference that it makes, but there is a definite power gap. Especially since the final tier of the combat powers was added.

My merchant was getting a +15% from equipment. I upgraded his defense ultimate item to make it a +16% since saving up for his ultimate support item is just so expensive (2.5 mil I think). I just checked one of my combat characters today, and they were getting anywhere from 24-32% from their combat skills, with only a -2% in gear ratings. So for the average, the difference is approximately 10%, which has made a big difference. As others have said, it's even difficult for me to gather 100% capacity before I go back and I'm fighting at the easy level in the epic sections. (My Combat characters are fighting it out in normal, which means there's an even bigger difference than what this research shows.)

A secondary effect that hurts merchants is the dead end with equipment before you hit level 50. There's a breaking point where once you have maxed out equipment, you simply cannot buy anymore until you hit level 50 thus providing you with a decreasing equipment benefit between the level you max it out at and the point where you actually hit 50. This time I maxed out at about level 46 which meant 3 levels of decreasing benefits before I was able to purchase any new gear.

How to fix these problems? I'm not 100% sure, but I'd like to know that you guys are still looking at it, since nothing has been said other than "I'm sure we'll make some changes to even the score however, especially if after we check it thoroughly we find we've made an oopsie somewhere." Have you checked into it yourselves? If so, what did you find? If not, how long will it take for you to get around to it?

My character is secondary to my mains, so I am not as concerned as those who have main characters running this build. But he has definitely impacted how I spend my skill points on my other characters. I'd like to see the Merchants get just a bit more love. (as a side note, I like the merchant bells, and they do help some too, but, a power that requires credits should in no way substitute for the issues of skill balance.)
Old 02-25-2011, 03:42 AM
Adventurer

Default Merchants are still weak.

I had this typed, then apparently it got lost when I tried to post it. Guess I can only try again.

I just wanted to say that the merchant skill really aren't balanced with the combat skills. I know you guys said that you were going to go back and look at them, but we've never seen or heard anymore on the subject. Have you taken another look at them? Or, can you tell us when you will?

Of the six characters I run, I have one that I play as a full on merchant. He is only partially effective when he is fighting in the easy setting in the elite locations. My other characters are having little to no trouble playing the same levels at normal mode. And I still notice a 15-25% difference in the final success chance between the two builds.

A secondary problem I've noticed with this is that the equipment purchasing can leave a gap before level 50. It is possible to max out equipment before you get to level 50, but then you have a steady decline in the effectiveness of your equipment until you reach level 50 and can purchase the new gear. And the highest level gear you can purchase before 50 is still a little bit weaker than what the enemies are using most of the time.

I wouldn't say the Merchant is an unplayable build, but it is definitely not able to be used effectively for anyone who wants to try and be at the top of one of the xp lists. Oftentimes, merchants don't even make it to the top of the gold lists either...