Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 07-18-2008, 04:14 AM
Experienced Adventurer

An update! Excellent as usual, Peter. Keep it coming.

This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination.

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!
Old 07-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Adventurer

Purpose

The sound of music and laughter wafted from downstairs, just barely penetrating the door of Peter's room in the Tavern. He paid it no mind as he sat at his small desk, poring over a map of the Shattered Highlands. They were so close to their goal, to vengeance! And yet only he knew it. Sitting up and gazing out the window before him into the night sky, Peter wondered what they'd think if they knew why the cultists had really attacked the two tiny villages of Everpeak and Thatchpeak.

What would they say if they knew he was to blame?

"I'll find you, Kalada. Then we'll see..." he murmured softly. Looking down at the map again, his eyes rested on the place he'd marked. It could have been any area of the Highlands, really. A random dot placed on a whim. If only it was. What demonic horrors would be lurking in there? Kalada had been cunning and only told a few of her followers where she made her home. It had simply been a matter of finding the right one and convincing him to give them the information.

In any case, there had been ample time for her to summon something nightmarish and horrible. The Company had faced plenty of such things, of course, but in this case it was a personal matter. It was one thing to have an angry cultist, it was another when they had a grudge against you. Who knew what she'd have, waiting?

That was also another chilling point. She knew the Company would be coming for her. They could be walking right into a trap, and it would be Peter's fault.

It was quite a burden, but then, Peter told himself as he prepared for bed, it was the kind of burden he'd been trained to shoulder.

"Hey, slow down, Metlar! We're moving out tomorrow, remember?"

Metlar just laughed at Aedon's chastisement and chugged down another pint. Aedon gave up on him not having a hangover tomorrow and looked across the table to the two brothers before him.

"Peter seemed to be kind of excited tonight. Almost had a spring in his step." Dynus mumbled thoughtfully into his brew.

"I was just going to mention that," Aedon admitted "I think he might have been trying to hide it, but he's eager for the kill. You can see it in his eyes."

"Maybe he had someone waiting for him in his room tonight, if you know what I mean..." began Metlar. Aedon cut him off before he could get the lewd part of his statement out.

"No, it's something else. Something he hasn't told us."

"Doesn't matter." replied Galan, typically steadfast. "We're pledged to serve under him, we do as he says. He's proven time and again that he's a damn good commander and does what's right by us."

Dynus snorted. "Maybe, but we have a right to know what's going on. Open your eyes! He wants vengeance, just like us, but there's an ulterior motive there. I'm sure of it, and I'm going to figure it out."

The table was silent for a moment as the four young men considered this. After a few minutes, Metlar spoke. "I dunno about you guys, but I'm pretty sure I don't care what his 'ulterior motive' is so long as we can avenge Thatch and Ever, and then become some rich old sod's private army. The end." He drained the rest of his pint to punctuate his sentence.

"Some army." snorted Dynus.

There was another brief silence, then Aedon stood. "I'm turning in. Early start and all. Get some sleep at some point. Oh, Metlar? Try not to be too noisy when you do. I could hear you clunking around for half an hour last night before you found your damn bed."

"Hey, at least you don't have to share a room with your damn brother." said Dynus with a grin.

Galan replied as Aedon chuckled and moved away. "It's because I'm the only one that can put up with you running your damn mouth, little brother."

Metlar kept drinking while the two brothers went through yet another pointless, mindless feud that would end only when one of them got tired of it and didn't respond.

Yes, he felt there was something going on, but he was here to fight. That's all that mattered to Metlar now. The wife and child he had once were long gone, after all, killed by the depraved cultists.

For now, vengeance was all that mattered.

Last edited by Peter.Ravenwind; 07-26-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Life! It has life! Seems to be a good time to be reviving stories, all around.

This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination.

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 PM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Send a message via MSN to QTChi

This is a fantastic story with wonderful descriptions and character interactions. Please keep the installments coming.

~ Qtchi's Profile ~
Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Adventurer

Intermission

Rather than continuing the story(with the speed of updating making a treacle spill look like a flash flood), I'm going to post the basic background of the Ravenwind Company and the people in it. I'm sure I'll continue the storyline at some point, but this is something I've been meaning to do anyway.

Outfit: Ravenwind Company

Background:
They are the last of two small villages that were known as Thatchpeak and Everpeak in the Skyclaw Ridge Mountains. The villages, less than half a mile in distance from each other, were nonetheless remote from other settlements and suffered constant attacks by the many hostile denezins of the mountains. One fateful day, the two towns were attacked by a large group of bandits of varying race. The town guard, lead by Marius Ravenwind, responded immediately.
The fighting was fierce and many good men and women fell. The day was won however, and Marius' actions caught the eye of a aged soldier that had happened to be passing through at the time. He convinced Marius to come with him to Hearthfire Hold Garrison and learn how to be a true leader of men.
Marius ended up learning a crueler lesson. He caught the eye of the daughter of one of the instructors and both of them were besotted with one another. They could not control their feelings and soon the daughter, Liadra, found herself with child.
The instructor was a proud man - "Sir" Darren Lokes. He claimed noble blood, but if there was any link it was very watered down. Nevertheless, he was furious and challenged Marius to a duel. Marius ended up being killed, and Darren sent away for refusing to honor the younger man's yielding to him.
Liadra stayed. She named her child Roderick and gave him the last name of his father. He was an average soldier - not very bright, but eager to please. He caught the eye of one of the other recruits and soon they were wed. Thus Peter Ravenwind was born.

Some time ago, he returned to Thatch and Ever, having recently graduated from the Garrison. At first he was looked on with suspicion, but proved to be an honorable young man. He always remained closed mouth about his past, speaking very generally about his training and time at the Garrison. He was a valued member of the villages' guards and in time came to lead them.

Then the cultists attacked. No one knew why, but the depraved worshipers cut and burned their way through most of Everpeak before the guards began to beat them back. Victory was imminent, and then the second group of cultists attacked Thatchpeak while the original assault force was reinforced. The peoples of Thatch and Ever were caught in between both forces.
The Fallen God cultists all died in the attack. Only a few people from both villages remained alive. Peter organized the survivors and they made the rough journey to Dragon Tavern.
After they arrived, some decided to eke out their living their. The others, particularly Peter, could not sit idle.
Peter was the favorite to lead them, and they named themselves the Ravenwind Company(at first to Peter's slight discomfort) and they travel the lands searching for both vengeance and glory.

Leader: Peter Ravenwind (War Master)
Background: An excellent warrior, Peter's leadership skills are both inherited from his grandfather and are a product of his training. Off the battlefield he maintains a comforting and friendly presence - on the battlefield he is commanding and inspiring.

Members:
Cedric Hark
Background: A grizzled veteran, Cedric refused to be considered for leadership. Rock solid, he is unmoveable in combat and excels at leading devastating flanking assaults.

John Withers
One of the other people considered for leadership of the Company. He is good natured and handsome, his expertise in combat making it look like an art. In times of trial he can often lift the spirits of the Company with his good humor and wry jokes.

Loren Everpeak
The son of Everpeak's mayor, Loren is still bitter over the death of his father and the destruction of Thatch and Ever. His ruthlessness in combat is beyond any of the other soldiers, and some reckon him to be the most skilled of all. He was slightly miffed that he was not chosen to be leader, but does not dwell on it too much.

Elaine Thatchpeak
Her uncle was the mayor of Thatchpeak, and she was always kept well. No one is really sure why she decided to go with the Company, as the first time she fought was when the cultists attacked. She has proven herself to be quite capable with a lot of potential.

Rissa
The old herbalist had Rissa as her apprentice for more than five years. Rissa still sees herself as one. Obsessive about remaining healthy(mostly in relation to herself), she is a dedicated healer and knows the uses of most herbs out there.

Metlar
He would be a drunkard if he had not joined the Company. While a competent combatant, he is no more than that. He took the death of his wife and child badly and tries his hardest to stop caring about them. Only under the influence of good drink is he not bothered by this.

Aedon
A superb blacksmith, Aedon maintains the arms and armor of the Company. He is conscientious of his own responsibilities and tries to remind the others of their own when they seem to be shirking them. He tends to grate on the nerves of others sometimes, though is well-liked by everyone.

Dynus
A jack of all trades and master of none. It does make him one of the more valuable members, especially since he's the only person other than Juniper who is any good at stealthy scouting. Often he carries the Company's banner into battle, even using it as a weapon itself.

Galan
Dynus' older brother. A down to earth realist, Galan tries to look out for his brother without appearing to do so. He has an interesting fighting style compared to most of the other of the Company in that he uses his own sword in one hand, and likes to disarm his foe and use their own weapon against them in the other, abandoning it after they have been dispatched.

Juniper
One of the scouts for Thatch and Ever. Since the cultist attacked she withdrew, spoke less and shaved her head, keeping it shaved. Quieter than the wind, she is rarely seen by the casual observer.