Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Renovations and Reality Adjustments

Old 06-20-2009, 04:48 AM
Miniature Antispam Device

Default Buff Loot-Related Skills

The skills are in dire need of balancing. Right now, the path of the merchant is extremely underpowered compared to the path of the fighter.

A Level 5X character who has focused solely on combat skills is probably going to be getting around +27-40% success chance from his or her skills. Therefore, in order to keep things balanced, a Level 5X character who has focused solely on loot skills should be able to use his or her extra income to keep his or her equipment up to, at the very least, +25% more vs. monsters than a combat skill based counterpart's average equipment rating.

This is extremely far from the case. From my experiences in the game, I would go so far as to say that classes who focus on combat skills actually make significantly more money than those who focus on loot skills! This is due to being able to fight at higher levels, wasting less money on AP to heal, and (for normal characters) simply dying much less.

Characters who opt for a mercantile path are going down a path of heavy risk. There simply needs to be a significant reward for doing so, to make the risk worth it. As of now, there seems to be absolutely no logical strategic reason to choose loot skills over combat skills. This is extremely unbalanced, and needs to be fixed.

P.S. Please, nobody argue that you should simply focus on combat skills if you want a powerful character. By that logic, the weaker loot skills have no reason to exist in the first place, aside from letting role-players play as underpowered merchant characters.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Hardcore ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Last edited by Puffles; 06-20-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Experienced Adventurer

I agree. I concentrated my first character on loot and cash skills, and now he is over level 50 I have had to rebuild his skills to make him able to survive. At one point I had over 300,000 XP debt to pay off! The difference in price you get is hardly worth bothering about, and now I can survive long enough to fill my backpack most of the time anyway.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethdred View Post
I agree. I concentrated my first character on loot and cash skills, and now he is over level 50 I have had to rebuild his skills to make him able to survive. At one point I had over 300,000 XP debt to pay off! The difference in price you get is hardly worth bothering about, and now I can survive long enough to fill my backpack most of the time anyway.
Ugh, it's even worse than I thought...

All of my normal characters went the pure loot rout. My logic was that since death wasn't permanent, making more money would be more important than guaranteed survival. Now they're going to be utterly unplayable once I get to level 50? Not cool.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Default Not impossible... but it's the "wrong" strategy..

I have a level 54 Hardcore Merchant... it's not impossible... just slow.. (and kind of frustrating).... My other Hard Core characters started that same day are about 2.5 million xp ahead of him.... He is level 54, they are level 57-58....

Maxwell (merchant character) was done far from perfect... for instance he has all 5 of the inventory expansions yet he very rarely get above 60% inventory before he has to tuck his little tail between his legs and run back to the tavern...

I also spent 2 points on non TOAD "perfect" Counter Skills... I didn't really know what I was doing back then....

I think it might be better to just go Haggler, and Numeracy.... but haven't done the math, even that might not be worth it....

But my advancement has slowed enough that the 20% or so. (whatever the bonus is with a maxed merchant) that he will never catch the other characters.... They get a higher return per AP then he does because of level.... My only hope, since I have been so risk adverse with Maxwell, he will take no risks at all.. and Tortoise them in the end....

In other words either use a hybrid strategy or go straight "Counter" if you are looking to Min/Max your leveling....

Roland
Old 06-20-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandGunner View Post
In other words either use a hybrid strategy or go straight "Counter" if you are looking to Min/Max your leveling....
The point is that one shouldn't need to go either counter or hybrid build. A merchant build should be a viable strategy.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Default Buffing the loot/trade skills

I agree... there should be some reason to go the "merchant" route... It wouldn't have to be perfectly balanced.. but it should be closer..

Like I said.. I didn't build a very good character... I misplaced some skill points.. and pretty much wasted a few more.... So maybe a perfect merchant build would of performed better.....

But it is pretty hard to improve your equipment fast enough to stay up with the loss of skill bonuses...

I still enjoy the character though... He might actually be one of my favorites...
Old 06-21-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandGunner View Post
Like I said.. I didn't build a very good character... I misplaced some skill points.. and pretty much wasted a few more.... So maybe a perfect merchant build would of performed better.....
All my merchant builds are "perfect" (nothing wasted on capacity, etc.) and they're all absolutely terrible.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Adventurer

My non-hardcore character is Merchant just for variety (with Tough and one Refinement Skill). I don't want all of mine the same build. I think that Haggler route is quite worth it, but the rest of them are pretty weak. It's not that they are weak when you get them all, it's just how many skill points it takes to build the whole thing up. The common/uncommon/rare item bonuses give so little for a skill point. I agree that the merchant skills need buffing so that one who gets them has a chance to have such great equipment that they are far ahead of the game.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 PM

Any chance of this balance issue being fixed any time soon? I'd really hate to have to waste 600 of my credits on skill resets...

Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffles View Post
Ugh, it's even worse than I thought...

All of my normal characters went the pure loot rout. My logic was that since death wasn't permanent, making more money would be more important than guaranteed survival. Now they're going to be utterly unplayable once I get to level 50? Not cool.

I'm not sure they will be 'utterly unplayable', but things suddenly get very much harder. I might have been able to survive by going cautious, but then I would be getting slowed down in XP gathering, and I just can't be bothered to take ages to level up! But this is certainly an issue the Devs should be looking at. I usually love playing merchant type characters, but that is just not a sensible option at the moment if you're remotely powergaming.