Dragon Tavern Forums
 

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Rookie Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Banzai's Avatar
Banzai Banzai is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 254
Default Welcome new players

In this forum, new players are encouraged to ask as many questions necessary to get a handle on Dragon Tavern. Sure it's an easy game, but behind the simple gameplay there's some subtleties to the mechanics. If you'd like other players to help you understand these, or share their experiences, here's the place to put your comments forward.

Enjoy, and play nice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 PM
drop IX's Avatar
drop IX drop IX is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: classified
Posts: 7
Lightbulb a trick to get better equipment

i don't know how many people will have the patience to do this but it only seems fair to let you decide if you want to do it
when you first start playing your base chance is nice and high but that won't last long and you won't have the skill points to take make up for it yet so there is only one option left.
equipment! but you propable don't have the money which means you need to gamble to get some!
this can be risky but if you are careful you can elimante some of the risk here is how
you earn a decent amount first (i'll leave that for you to decide) then return to the tavern and start gambling
when you gamble only put down 1 coin and keep betting that repeatedly! eventualy you will see a pattern emerge and when you think you have got a good chance bet big.this is still risky and the pattern will reset so there is no full proof system!it still comes down to luckbut it can also pay of big so you can get that better stuff to give you that advantage good luck
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Ethdred Ethdred is offline
Experienced Adventurer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop IX View Post
i don't know how many people will have the patience to do this but it only seems fair to let you decide if you want to do it
when you first start playing your base chance is nice and high but that won't last long and you won't have the skill points to take make up for it yet so there is only one option left.
equipment! but you propable don't have the money which means you need to gamble to get some!
this can be risky but if you are careful you can elimante some of the risk here is how
you earn a decent amount first (i'll leave that for you to decide) then return to the tavern and start gambling
when you gamble only put down 1 coin and keep betting that repeatedly! eventualy you will see a pattern emerge and when you think you have got a good chance bet big.this is still risky and the pattern will reset so there is no full proof system!it still comes down to luckbut it can also pay of big so you can get that better stuff to give you that advantage good luck
And once you've got that worked out, head to Vegas and start counting Blackjack cards I don't think there's any pattern to the RNG in this game (other than its consistent hate for me)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-23-2010, 06:41 PM
AutobotDen AutobotDen is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethdred View Post
And once you've got that worked out, head to Vegas and start counting Blackjack cards I don't think there's any pattern to the RNG in this game (other than its consistent hate for me)
I have one character who got the title "Gambling Goddess"... then she started having crappy gambling luck, so I only really have her gamble if I'm close enough to gettng new equipment that I can risk a few losses, and am out of AP for the day... She's the only character I've had who has gotten that title... most of 'em get "Dice's Bitch" before level 20... lol
__________________
Old Mira is kicking butt and taking names... As well as laughing at Old Lumen's latest derp.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Zarkone's Avatar
Zarkone Zarkone is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21
Default

I don't gamble unless I am relatively close to the amount needed for a specific equipment upgrade but here is the system I use (and it works fairly well for me - I'd say I've won more than I've lost).

Bet a small amount first (currently that is 25g for me). If you win, great, bet it again. If you lose... double the bet and go again. This way if you lose several times in a row and then win... all previous losses are negated. Example below.

Example 1:
Bet 25 and lose.
Bet 50 and win.

The previous loss is won back and now you've won 25g!

Example 2:
Bet 25 and lose.
Bet 50 and lose.
Bet 100 and lose.
Bet 200 and win.

The previous losses are won back and now you've won 25g!

So, provided that you have a large enough gold pile to handle the doubling, you can keep winning in small increments by eliminating all losses and slowly climbing your way up. Of course you run the risk of hitting a statistically improbable run of bad luck which leads to loosing 10+ times in a row. That's why it is generally best to use this methodology for small bets. If you start off betting big you won't be able to double your bet very many times before you're out of gold.

I use a similar strategy for electronic Roulette at a nearby casino.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:53 PM
nebsmith's Avatar
nebsmith nebsmith is offline
Experienced Adventurer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: london
Posts: 162
Default

thats called a "martingale" and as far back as Shakespeare people were warned about it. After 10 losses you're up to 1024 times your first bet, of course, it's only game money so it dosen't matter.

10 losses is not that unusual in a 50/50 bet, so you might want to be prepared to earn the "Dices Bitch" title.
__________________
Elgon -One with the Cyclone. Ascended One
Amaranth Eyebright - Dangerous. Celestial
Stonecrop Fleabane - Guardian of Fire. Demigod
___________________________________________
Lyra Wolf - Dread Minstrel
Cetus Cygni - Black Seer
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Zarkone's Avatar
Zarkone Zarkone is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebsmith View Post
thats called a "martingale" and as far back as Shakespeare people were warned about it. After 10 losses you're up to 1024 times your first bet, of course, it's only game money so it dosen't matter.

10 losses is not that unusual in a 50/50 bet, so you might want to be prepared to earn the "Dices Bitch" title.
Ah well I don't do it for excessive periods of time. Doing that will basically guarantee a loss. If I'm betting an increment of 25 I probably only need to win 500 or so. I don't attempt to win big. Especially in real life. When I say I use it on electronic roulette I mean I walk in with $10, bet in increments of 25 cents, typically walk out with $15-$17 and every non-alcoholic drink I have while I am there is free. It gets me out of the house and is something to do when bored. I suppose it would be a problem for a gambling addict though!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Wrath Child Wrath Child is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Default

How should I use my skill points?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 PM
drop IX's Avatar
drop IX drop IX is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: classified
Posts: 7
Default

what i was saying about the gambling can work but its down to the individual and how carefl you are about it i once started with just over a 1000 and ended up with over 3 million+ gold in one sitting and enough time i earned a similar number to lose it all thats why its called gambling it can earn alot but it can also bite you in the ass i suggest you try it yourselfs and decide if its for you or not and if you a friend on the game ask for an opinion from them but in the end its up to you decide because everyone is diffrent
__________________
is it my fault if i think im better than the people around me if the people around me unhealthy, lazy fools' who's collective I.Q. of 250 people is -250
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 PM
♥ Morbid Princess ♥'s Avatar
♥ Morbid Princess ♥ ♥ Morbid Princess ♥ is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: -- haLLoween town ..
Posts: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to ♥ Morbid Princess ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to ♥ Morbid Princess ♥
Default

-- i attained gambLing goddess just now ..
.. i noticed she's the Luckiest char of mine .. the others wiLL win 3-5 times .. then the Loser's Curse wiLL take effect tiLL i have no more goLds to bet .. ;(
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Style by: vbskinpixel.com