Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Renovations and Reality Adjustments

Old 07-01-2008, 03:42 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Just wanted to point out that this was not the original topic of the post, but, for debate's sake...

I'm going to stay neutral on this whole thing.

For one thing, I agree that I'd prefer it if Dragon Tavern remained simple and didn't implement resell. It would be a cool feature if there were, you know, overall...what's the word...well, I can't think of it right now, but let's say if there were an overall value, assuming that the original value was 100% (obviously, since there's no MORE than 100% in a percentage), and the armor wears down over time. It would be nice if you could repair the armor, but that makes the game more complicated.

I'm assuming the reason higher-level monsters pay more money is because you, essentially, HAVE to upgrade your stuff. Why? Well, if my Infiltrator used a Wooden Handbow (or whatever it was) against a level-50 monster, that'd be one hell of a fight ('scuse my language) because the bow is such a low-level item and can't cause much damage to a level-fifty monster.

It's like putting a level-one newbie against a level-thirty monster. Who would you bet on? I'm sure, the monster, hands-down.

So, since we're FORCED to upgrade our stuff (even with a repair feature, the 100% of a low-level weapon is lower than the 100% of a high-level weapon, get it?), and each item gets more and more expensive, you'd think we'd need the resale feature. No, I don't think so.

Taking into consideration the fact that you get more money from higher-level monsters...basically, an L1 vs. L1 fight is the equivalent of a L50 vs. L50 fight. Because the pair of fighters (in each fight) are the same level, the player should be the equivalent of the monster. It's like two fractions, 50/100 and 1/2 -- they're different, but equal (well, sort of like that). So, if you only regard the armor levels, you should be able to win both fights (well, if you can win at a disadvantage, you can win if both opponents are equals). Since you get a low amount of money for an L1 fight, the low-level armor is cheap -- or the other way. Since you get a high amount of money for an L50 fight, the armor is more expensive (it's supposed to be, because it's a better quality to kill higher-level monsters, so you can get more money, which makes the prices higher, etc.).

You receive more money for a higher-level fight (even though it's, essentially in this game, equal to a low-level one if you have the right armor), and the extra money should compensate for the more expensive armor.

I confused you, didn't I? I probably repeated myself a lot, and I tend to do that...

Anyways, why would we need to get MORE money if they've already compensated for the more-expensive armor? We don't NEED it. If this was an RPG (I don't consider this an RPG, even though it's probably classified as one) where you had to eat, sleep, buy clothes, live in a house, so on, THEN I would want it, because if the payment per fight were only judged by the armor you need, then it wouldn't compensate for all the stuff you need to get.

So, for now, since we're all fine and happy with the current features, let's not make the poor admins work harder, 'kay? XD

Oh, also, don't go asking for the repair feature -- it's unneeded, even if they did implement the armor-health (so to speak) feature, because it costs money to repair, and no matter how much you repair (unless you pay to have the armor remade or *upgraded) it, it won't go beyond 100%.

* = In this context, "upgraded" means like upgrading a car, like getting a better engine and stuff -- making it better and worth more. So, taking an old suit of armor and repairing it and adding newer, harder metal to the outside and making it sturdier is the "upgrading" I'm talking about. It's unneeded, though.
Ryoku Level 6 Warmaster

"This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination."

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Helping Ashen's plot to destroy those damned bunnies and their plot to take the world over.

Last edited by Ryuu-san; 07-01-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Adventurer

I know that it isn't going to happen Banzai, but nonetheless I wanted to say my peace on the subject matter and reinforce that the resale of items is a reasonable expectation that clients may have and therefore addressing the gae mechanics in the FAQ would benefit future customers.

Reading over the additional posts I think Knights were mentioned and they would not have sold their old items. I would disagree in some cases because I would expect a poor knight to sell off an old item and as for re-slae no matter how funky, dirty or what have you an item is it could still be melted down and therefore maintain a resale value.

However I do concede that most knights likely did not sell their old gear even if they needed to as it would make them seem poor and for the nobility appearance was of great importance. This then gets me thinking of another thread where we discussed trophies. What if characters had a 'trophy room' that not only had trophies that might collect while adventuring but also a collection of their old armor and weapons?

One might also consider a prestige feature. Rankings similar to XP rankings and what not but instead of XP or gold prestige would be based on gameplay elements. For instance, number of bosses defeated, number of trophies collected, number of armor and weapons in the armory and perhaps provide minuses for number of deaths. Or instead of prestige it could be called fame? or perhaps infamy?

Anyway just some thoughts.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 AM
Adventurer

IF they do decide (at some point FAR in the future) to have a sell back, then I would offer the suggestion that another game I play uses ~~ for the first period of time (in their case 24 hours) it sells back for like 75% to 90% then drops to a sell back of no more than 20%. This could be useful if OMG i bought the wrong 1 or I really NEED a higher one but I WANT one that's even higher and don't have quite enough gold for it. But in this game I would suggest that sellbacks be based on AP used instead of clock hours since we all know that you can buy more AP at any time so the time line really doesn't work that well. Case in point ~ How do you think I managed to get to level 50 in less than a week??? Got addicted is what.
Character is Kasalia ~ Dwarven Earth Sage #4 XP
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Adventurer

Default Compromise

How about this instead of selling back your items....?

At an extremely low percentile chance coupled with an already extremely low percentile chance that you stumble upon a free loot....

Baring that you are level 15 or higher...

Contained in the free loot chest, is a single item... a TOAD Djinni that can upgrade your whatever to the NEXT level.

Yes I understand that this means at level bajillion you can get a free billion cost item... (exaggeration but point made)

To balance that, you are given a choice, to either take the free upgrade to one of the four aspects of your TOAD and PERMANENTLY increase your null find chance by 2%, or have the Djinni grant you wealth.. which would be 10% more than what you would normally find in a loot chest.

This would erase the need to sell off items for the nostalgic Final Fantasy effect, as even running into this option once in the course of a character's career would counter-balance the overall minor sell-back gain given by selling off items at a fraction of the initial cost of them, or "melt-down" value.

I know what I just said code wise is a programmer's nightmare, but I know it can be done.

There is no limit to how many times a character can encounter this Djinni, but the option is always the same, so if a character ran into, and chose the TOAD upgrade option 5 times, that character would have a 10% permanent null find chance.

Yes, you may have some nifty gear before anyone else, but monsters tend to smell power before encountering it, and as you are so enamored with your gift from the Djinni for free, you often overlook places where treasure could hide.

I don't know if that sounds good to anyone else or not, but just tossing it out there.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Dragon Tavern Overseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
Gotta say, I'm with Witan on this one. I don't think it's a huge deal, but you should be able to sell your old stuff.
I'll be putting in a change shortly that gives people a partial refund on existing gear when they upgrade. Gear prices will also be modified somewhat.

- DM

Old 05-04-2009, 04:07 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Will this have an effect (the partial refund, that is) on the Ultimate Equipment, since you're not really trading it, but are actually upgrading it? (And will Upgrade prices be affected, for the cheaper?)

Chosen (unwillingly)
Acended One
Abyssal
Celestial
Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 AM
Dragon Tavern Overseer

No, this won't affect Ultimate Equipment.

I'm happy to review Ultimate Equipment costs though after this, if a lot of people think it's too steep.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Yes, I think that Ultimate Equipment cost is too steep. Especially for HC, where you can not die to get XP debt. There is almost no way of getting better equipment without getting too much XP for HC.

Anyone else thinks that too?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Experienced Adventurer

The Main Gang: Deurges - Mieki - Paeruh - Nippur
The Black Brothers: Thaurus - Ender