Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 03-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Adventurer

”No thank ye,” She spoke in a soft lilting voice as she shook her head and politely declined the drink. Her hand lifted, gently pushing the offered glass a few inches back towards the man

His eyes filling with a little sadness as the woman pushed away his drink brought a reluctant shrug from his shoulders. Well..maybe she's not a wine woman after all.. Turning to stare down into the goblet himself he'd wrap a gloved hand around its base before lifting for a small drink.

His eye twitched as he forced a smile clearly none too pleased by the musky beverage. Gulping down the taste he slowly turned back to Q for a smile. He too leaned in toward her, his hat's brim pushing into the top of her head giving way and folding back a little to make a small crease.

”A'h been just fine Sir,” Her eyes continued to twinkle with mirth as she added, ”Bin practicin’ thats wot I‘ve bin doin’…Made much progress too! I say, I could even demonstrate…” Her voice trailed off as she deliberately looked around the tavern, her eyes searching.

"Alas, there ah' no frogs..."

Nodding his head rather slowly he pulled away with furrow brows. With an absent minded hand he would raise his goblet once more. Giving it a tiny raise to salute the woman with her and her progress, his voice just loud enough for her to hear. Also incredibly calm. "Alas..I'm sure by the end of the night we can find you something within this band of hooligans, hey?" Giving off a small chuckle he'd go to take another drink from his ale once more.

“Greetings, the name’s Chon”

Just as he started to take a drink he could see the foul dwarf's arm cocking back. A rather experienced traveler like himself knew what was about to come. Time slowed down as he looked back to his wine with fear trying to bring it away from his lips with wide eyes. SMACK!

His small frame easily losing against the burly dwarf's hand sending his upper body over the counter's top. An exerted exhale coming from his nostrils as the pressure of counter's edge ramming into his gut. Choking back on the wine as the liquid started sliding in while he was breathing out he quickly sat the goblet down trying to recuperate himself. His left hand going up to wave away any possible attempts for the dwarf to give him another hand, while his right balled fist pounded away at his chest.

“Don’t feel bad Padre, she’s a pretty thing and all but seriously, how many sacks of ore could she carry for you, eh? Not that many I’d say” he said with a big smile on his face.

Becoming rather irritated he threw a sideways glance to Q before turning to look back the dwarf with a new-found look of confusion. His mouth gaped as he struggled within himself to figure out where to start. The thought that he was trying to pick up Q, or even the thought he'd so easily demean a woman right in front of him.

”Friends of yers?” She asked faintly, her eyes brimming with confusion.

Turning back to the woman still a little dumbfounded by the dwarf's statement he looked back with a contorted look of confusion himself with his face covered in wine and mouth still gaped. Staring at the woman's lovely features for a moment he finally mustered enough strength to give of a simple shake of his head. Various droplets of wine dripping from the top of his wide brimmed hat which started to rise as his gaze moved upwards. Seeming to forget it was atop his own head, throwing out his voice becoming rather distracted.

"My lady I am but a humble man. I couldn't find friends of such low stature. His stench has more presence." His voice rather bitter as he gave an arrogant reply, something expected form a man of the Steel Empire. Especially an Acolyte.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:04 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Upon seeing the shocked and confused look on the faces of those at the bar, not to mention the wine dripping off the holy mans hat, Chon cursed his own stupidity under his breath.

“Was I always this much of a damnable oaf?” he thought. “This is what I get for spending 17 years in the wilderness with an elemental as my only friend”
He thought back to the conversation he and Ziggles had only days ago and cursed the elemental as well.

“You’re lonely, you need human company, he said... No, you’ll do fine, he said... Of course you’ll remember how to make friends, he said... no your armour doesn’t make your behind look big, he said... last time I listen to a talking rock” Chon thought to himself with disdain.

The woman looked rightly confused and turned to the man next to Chon:

”Friends of yers?” She said

"My lady I am but a humble man. I couldn't find friends of such low stature. His stench has more presence." Said the holy man.

Chon was surprised - “Low stature” he thought “Low stature!” He thought about this for a moment and was highly amused.

“Oh... I get it, I get it – low stature... and I’m a dwarf... ha haa” Said Chon struggling to get the words out through his own laughter.

He looked at those at the bar in turn and realised his attempts at making amends were failing miserably so far. Chon lowered his voice and addressed the holy man in the friendliest tone he could muster.

“You may not realise this but for us dwarfs, to jest about each other’s height is a mark of real friendship and affection” said Chon with a smile. “But maybe you do know, judging by your own stature it’s possible you’re lucky enough to have some dwarf in your bloodline somewhere I’m guessing”

He paused and looked at all of them, including the man he now knew to be Arn Wolven

“Please forgive the interruption and my dwarven lack of manners” Chon shifted his eyes to the woman, “and my lack of, um, sensitivity. I meant no offence” He leant away from the others and did his best to recall the lessons Cyrillia had long ago offered him about not offending people before he continued.

“It has been a dragon’s age since I enjoyed the company of fine, civilised people such as yourselves, much longer than you might expect, and I’m certainly a bit rusty, you could say” he said swallowing hard and struggling to find the right words.

“Especially you, sir” he said to the holy man “As I said so coarsely before, my name is Chon and it’s a pleasure to meet you. Perhaps there is something I can do for you to make amends for my, ah, exuberance”

Chon reached into his armour once again and after momentarily fumbling his hand around, pulled out a couple of uncut yet beautiful green gems, both of which were nearly as large as his fist, and placed them on the counter. He had found many like these on his travels, possessing the ability to literally sniff such things out, but generally had no interest in their monetary value having only kept these and a few others because they were of the sort and colour his wife had found so beguiling. He used to sneak off to find them and secretly hide them in her travel pack for her to find, always moved by the smile on her face when she did. These days he found carrying them comforting in his loneliness, reminding him of happier times.

“I don’t know if these are worth anything in the realms these days, but they are pretty and you’re welcome to them.” Chon said in a conciliatory tone, gently nudging them towards the holy man, doing his best to hide how much sentimental value they held for him.

He turned in his seat and looked straight ahead so they would not see the embarrassment on his face and the slightest of tears rolling almost imperceptibly down his now flushed cheek. He remained looking forward, only turning his head slightly down and away from the others to surreptitiously sniff himself.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Adventurer

Arn was uncomfortable, not usually one for associating with others he was beginning to wish he was outside in the cold air, at least that way he would not be seen blushing, Chon the dwarf had regarded him with a mixture of similarity and envy at being able to move on with his life, Arn mused over the fact that humans were not as long lived as dwarves so therefore their lives were lived at a more frantic pace.

The young woman had looked at him with a mixture of what Arn suspected was fear of the unknown and some dark humour, she had tried to introduce herself but Chon's loud voice had declared his name for all to hear, the richly dressed man sitting the otherside of the young woman looked extremely offended when he was asked if the dwarf was a friend of his.

Arn wanted to sneak away, just to melt back into the shadows that he had spent most of his life using for his own dark purposes, this time however, there was a reason for him to stay, hoping for another chance to speak with the enchanting woman, Arn silently sipped his water and surveyed this new and diverse group of people he found himself surrounded by, unaware that there was at least another that was not in the room but was still interested in watching events unfold.

The shade had sensed the young necromancer had nearly sensed its prensence, this could not be allowed to stop its freedom, the shade knew the necromancers powers would be little threat to it but there was still the others that Arn was sitting with that the shade knew litle or nothing about, the dwarf was of no concern to the shade, the short human might be some kind of religious nut, that could prove dangerous, the elf had yet to really interact with any of the others so the shade had only been able to catch glimpses of him as it moved about inside ShadowMantle, Arn was weakening, the shade had been with him long enough to sense this, Arn's resolve was crumbling, soon the shade would see Arn begging like a mongrel before the necromancer, as much as this sight would humour the shade, it did not want Arn to be completely useless, it would have need of a body, Arn was the best choice by the shades guess, the shade had seen Arn fight, and knew how quickly his body would heal, if allowed rest, the shade would not care if the body died, just as long as it provided a host for a while until the shade was able to take on its own corporeal form, with a gleaming smile filled with malice, the shade clapped its hands together in almost childish glee and carried on in its preperations for freedom, all the while hoping to see the too proud Arn Wolven take a stumble.
Xbox live gamertag Dbd Havok.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:34 PM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Send a message via MSN to QTChi

Her eyes studied the gemstones carefully, yet she made no move to touch them. Upon the worn counter, the green gems seemed out of place; the dim lights played across the jewels, dancing across their multifaceted surface. It’s beauty was unparalleled to the rough, ugly settings in which their owner had thrusted them within. It was almost a shame to shed light on such beautiful things, Qtchi thought to herself.

The air tasted heavy, laced with salt...Tears...

The young girl spoke softly, her voice a whisper as quiet as breath. ”They a’h beautiful Sir’rah…most likely they‘d fetch a hefty sum at the local markets,” She took her eyes from the table and lifted them upon the dwarf. Indeed, the green beauties she referred to seemed priceless…but now her eyes were drawn to the flush upon Chon’s cheeks.

Fascinated, she watched the blood rush towards his cheeks, the heat warming them to a tinged pink.

The young girl had her head tilted to one side, spilling dark ebony locks over one thin shoulder. Large turquoise eyes didnae waver as they watched Chon’s face with unhidden curiosity. If she sat very still, she could hear the soft thumping of his heart, combined with the soft swoosh of his blood as it swept upwards towards their destination. It was almost musical to the young necromancer’s ears.

The young girl leaned forward, her translucent-skinned face slowly softening. It took a huge effort not to reach out and capture the glistening tear that made its way down his cheek. The edges of her lips lifted into a smile, careful not to reveal too much of her sharp white teeth... and she introduced herself.

”Pleasure ta meet ye Sir'rah...and ye as well Sir Wolven,” She dipped her head in a brief nod of acknowledgment at Arn. ”A’m better known as Q to most folks around ‘ere… not that many know me.” Her lips twisted into a wry grin and the young girl chuckled softly.

~ Qtchi's Profile ~

Last edited by QTChi; 03-26-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:39 AM
Adventurer

Arn's heart thumped painfully in his chest, an uncomfortable feeling and one that brought with it images of Pagan's smiling face, he watched as the young woman who he had finally managed to get a name from looked at the gems Chon had placed on the bar with a sense of longing, it semed to Arn that Chon may also be harboring feelings towards this young mysterious Q.

That thought still in his mind Arn watched the lingering gaze that Q placed upon the dwarf, there was something out of place that he could not figure out, something that should have been immediately clear to him but he just could not pierce through the fog that seemed to have settled in his mind, there was no malice or feeling of emnity towards Chon but Arn stared at the dwarf as well, his gaze one of intent and scrutiny.

Arn still did not really know why he felt so compelled to stay amongst this group, I must be in need of some companionship he thought to himself, yet the mysterious Q was indeed the centre of the attention, Arn wondered if he should try and approach the young woman to see if they might go a talk in private.

Still not sure what to do Arn's hand made it's way to the locket he wore under his leather armour, his calloused hand rubbed the intricate carving that was beginning to wear, he felt a sense of calmness whenever he did this, for some reason Arn could not fathom the locket did not have it's usual effect on him, Arn wanted to leave, he even stood from his seat and took two steps away from the group, he turned and looked back at them and that was his undoing, he needed to be around people, he had been alone for too long, his own sense of belonging rose to the surface and he almost choked on his own sob, quickly hiding his momentary weakness behind a forced cough he walked back to the stool he had been seated on and sat back down.

The shade had seen it, the moment of its freedom was almost at hand, Arn was no longer connected to his memories or the locket, the shade would have his body and Arn would finally get what he deserved, the shade began the preperations it needed and wove its own spell, the magic took effect and the shade had to stop and make sure it was not noticed, Arn's sword was indeed functioning as it should be, but the magic of the Bard had dulled Arn's usually keen senses and thus would the shade be able to escape without Arn noticing, almost time and i will walk amongst them again, the shade could hardly contain itself, soon it would be whole and the tavern would be a good place to start its reign of terror.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Chon waited for a moment trying to gather his composure. The gems sat untouched on the counter and for the time being the holy man made no move towards them, remaining silent. The others in the group had certainly noticed them and he wondered if he should have offered gems to all of them.

”They a’h beautiful Sir’rah…most likely they‘d fetch a hefty sum at the local markets,” said the woman.

Chon remained looking forward and there was a brief period of silence. Finally he slowly turned his gaze back towards the group. The woman was leaning towards him slightly and while she looked at him with great intent and a genuinely friendly smile, he couldn’t help noticing what could only be described as a slightly predatory gleam in her eyes.

”Pleasure ta meet ye Sir'rah...and ye as well Sir Wolven,” She acknowledged Arn as well.

”A’m better known as Q to most folks around ‘ere… not that many know me.”

Chon nodded in reply. At that moment the scent of the mysterious jewel in Q’s pocket returned to toy with his senses and he could not help but dwell on just what it might be, distracting his attention from the others in the group. He opened his mouth intent on asking Q about it but decided however, that now was not the best time to ask such questions. These folks all seemed to share one thing in common with him – a discomfort around strangers. As if to confirm his thoughts he watched Arn silently get up from his seat and take a couple of steps towards the door, only to turn around and return just as mutely, except for a slight cough. The look he gave Q reminded Chon of his previous interruption. He addressed Arn directly on his return, hoping to ease his obvious discomfort.

“Arn is it? It seems to me that a tavern, in the company of new acquaintances, is not where you rightly feel at home. Believe me, I don’t think the rest of us have any trouble understanding that.”

He straightened slightly in his seat and began, very slowly, sipping at the Ale Arn had so kindly bought him earlier.

“I think we all have at least that in common”

Last edited by Chon; 03-28-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Silthian watched as the dwarf was interacting with three other strangers, Silthian ignored the weird look that dwarf gave him. He was bored, angry, happy and bored, he reached his hand into a small sack hanging on his belt and gently grabbed out a small little seed.
he set the small little seed on the counter and closed his eyes, holding his hands above the little seed, reciting some elven words off a book filled spells, the book which he had left back at his small house back in Moonspire Hold.
The small seed floated in the air and beautiful blue flash covered the seed, when the flash faded away, a blue beautiful flower laid there on the counter, a full grown flower cultivated by his powers.

http://jevolin.deviantart.com/
Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Adventurer

At that moment, the door was thrown open, and in came a blue-robed, dark-haired young human man with a staff, striding in as if he owned the place.

"Barkeep!" Elrin Windheart exclaimed as he sat himself on a stool, "A mug of Blackguard Brandy, if you please!" Coins jingled as Elrin dropped a small pile of gold onto the bar, which was scooped up by the barkeep and soon replaced with a foaming mug. His quest for alcohol completed, Elrin abruptly spun around on his stool, causing a few drops of the precious liquid to spill out onto the floor. His heart nearly broke at the loss, and he resolved to order a refill as soon as he was done.

In remembrance, of course.

As he sipped his brandy, Elrin glanced around the common room at the gathered patrons. Mostly regular commoners, but Elrin did notice a small group of apparent adventurers gathered around a table in a corner.

Obviously, the first one he took note of was the girl. Pretty, certainly, but Elrin preferred his women less...ominous-looking. Dark hair contrasted her pale skin, giving her, in Elrin's opinion, a vaguely witch-esque appearance.

Next was the Dwarf. Ahh, no tavern night was complete without at least one. This particular Dwarf's manner seemed to sway between polite and gentlemanly (See also: boring) and outright wasted (See also: Fun!) as, in Elrin's honest opinion, all Dwarves should be.

Next, the rich-looking man. Maybe he'd been of a noble family before he'd taken up adventuring for whatever reason. He looked a bit out of place among the rest of the group.

Finally, there was that fellow. That cloaked fellow. Something seemed vaguely...off about him. Elrin couldn't quite put his finger on it, but something about that man bothered him.

Or maybe it was the brandy.

Yeah, must've been the brandy.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Adventurer

“I don’t know if these are worth anything in the realms these days, but they are pretty and you’re welcome to them.”

Looking down at the gems as he'd pull a handkerchief wiping away the excess amount of wine from his face, his hat coming off to reveal the raven locks underneath.

”They a’h beautiful Sir’rah…most likely they‘d fetch a hefty sum at the local markets,”

He couldn't have agreed more with the strange woman. The gems were entrancing, large, they'd pull at his gaze putting him into an odd trance as his hand would slowly rub circles in an already clean spot. Blinking a few times he'd take his glass of water, hop from his seat, and take his leave.

"Such things have no affect on me, sir. I do not sell my friendship to anybody. Shaking his head he'd turn back just for a moment to grab at his hat.

His little frame weaving through patrons and furniture alike as he'd slide into one of the pews along the wall hiding beneath its dimly lit torch to brood. His hat resting in front of him as he'd slowly start to wipe it down with his makeshift rag. "That's going to be a pain to get out.."

Giving up rather quickly he'd toss his hat onto the low bench next to him, his hands coming back up to wrap the thin cloth of his gloves about the cup for another drink.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Adventurer

Arn heard Chon addressing him and remembered where he was, his thoughts had been turned inwards as he felt something amiss within his own body, it was like a poison was being purged yet at the same time spreading rapidly, it distracted Arn to much to hear more than the last few words of Chon's apparent understanding of Arn's discomfort.

Arn didnt have a reply as such so he just sat nursing the glass of water he had ordered, the door to the tavern opened and another stranger strode in as if he had just brought the property and wanted to be the first to try it's wares.

Arn watched as the stranger ordered a drink and then sat looking around the tavern in all innocence, that was until the stranger's eyes settled on the group Arn was with, the stranger looked first to Q, Arn saw no interest in the strangers eyes, then the stranger moved on to Chon, this time the eyes sparkled with excitement when they settled on Chon, as the strnger turned to spot Arn, however, suspicion and something else crept into his eyes.

"Good to know I can still appear mysterious myself" Arn mumbled to no-one in particular.

He noticed the short man climb of his bar stool and make his way to one of the unoocupied pew like seats, apparently the company he kept was not to his liking, this pleased Arn as he now had one less interruption to worry about as he tried to strike conversation with Q once again.

The shade had also seen the newcomer, there was something suspicious about this one, the shade was not happy, its freedom had all but been assured and now there was an unknown factor sitting in the tavern, the shade woud have to rethink its plans, until then Arn would be allowed to draw breath, even if it was wasted trying to woo a necromancer, the shade chuckled at that image and went about recalculating and restructuring its plans for freeedom with an unknown factor added as a extra precaution, just in case.