Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Renovations and Reality Adjustments

Old 11-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Default Starsign bonuses

I think that the starsign bonuses unbalance things, the 5% is ok but the 10% is too much.

Part of the gameplay on this site is keeping the xp and gold balanced so that you don't fall behind on your ability to keep your weapons strong enough to survive at your prefered level of adventuring.

this is tricky and fun putting your skill points and ultimate points in the right places to maintain the balance. Its something you learn over time by trial and error.

So you have achieved a nice balance and maybe have a plan for where to upgrade next, then along comes a 10% xp bonus and upsets things.

I have often stopped playing a character while the 10% bonus is active, just using enough points to stay under the AP cap.

So, I would like to suggest, either the option to not take the xp bonus or that instead of a 10% xp bonus you get a 5% xp bonus plus a 5% gold bonus.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebsmith View Post
I have often stopped playing a character while the 10% bonus is active, just using enough points to stay under the AP cap.

So, I would like to suggest, either the option to not take the xp bonus or that instead of a 10% xp bonus you get a 5% xp bonus plus a 5% gold bonus.
I don't understand why you would do that. Why not take the XP bonus, level up quicker, but then STAY in the (lower level) area you would have been at had you not gotten the accelerated XP bonus? Doing this gives you a higher success chance of defeating those same enemies you'd be fighting anyway AND you continue to get the loot too.

Obviously I agree that there is danger to out leveling your gear but if you hold yourself back and combat lower level enemies you won't gain much XP but you will gain the gold necessary to buy your equipment. I haven't paid attention to it so I can't demonstrate the math/stats but I'd argue this is probably the best approach even if you're attempting to power level your way up quickly.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Experienced Adventurer

The thing is i did some checking and found that the ratio of gold to xp seems fairly consistent regardless of the level you are playing at. What does change is the amount of gold and xp you get per action point. The harder the level you adventure at the more you get for each AP used. for instance the elite subs return around twice the reward per AP of the same difficulty normal elite locations.

so to make up the deficit in gold you have to drop out of the elite areas back to the ordinary locations, where you get 50xp per AP but 1000's of gold.

I like travelling in the Insane elite subs and dropping back to, say, "normal" dosen't help because the xp to gold ratio is still unbalanced by the starsign bonus.

Of course you are right that dropping back to an easier elite setting will mean I wont need such poweful weapons, but as I've mentioned, it dosen't mean I will get more gold per experience point, so I would still have the same problem if I stepped back up to a harder level.

You get the most gold and xp per AP in the elite "insane" levels and I was just about maintaining that level of adventuring when I got hit by the 10% bonus, which meant my weapons started to fall behind and made staying at that level unsustainable.

So until the starsign bonus is gone Elgon will be partying in the tavern.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Send a message via MSN to Sandsfire

im getting the 5 percent from the star sign this week.. but when i battle a eitle boss , at the end of the battle ,, it does not say you recived a extra 5 percent for winning the battle..I know its all very random , but i yet to see it.anyways ill keep playing , i got 2 more armour upgrades than i will be ahead for a while..
Old 12-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Experienced Adventurer

ok, I was wrong. You do get more gold per level if you drop to an easier elite sublocation difficulty, about twice as much for "cautious" as "insane"
Old 12-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsfire View Post
im getting the 5 percent from the star sign this week.. but when i battle a eitle boss , at the end of the battle ,, it does not say you recived a extra 5 percent for winning the battle..I know its all very random , but i yet to see it.anyways ill keep playing , i got 2 more armour upgrades than i will be ahead for a while..
I don't think that it ever says that you are getting the Starsign bonus except in the Tavern - but the xp you receive per kill does go up, so it is factored in.

Chosen (unwillingly)
Acended One
Abyssal
Celestial
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGwyddion View Post
I don't think that it ever says that you are getting the Starsign bonus except in the Tavern - but the xp you receive per kill does go up, so it is factored in.
If you hover over the XP amount, it should pop up with a break down