Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 04-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Default Another Cold Dark Night in the Tavern

Another Cold Dark Night in the Tavern

It seemed like only days ago that Orion was sitting in the same chair he was in right now staring out of a window in the Dragon Tavern. Just like that same fateful day it was winter, and like before snow was falling to the ground while the animals of the night roamed for food. What he would like to have hoped was the same deer was just in the tree line digging up snow to try and find grass to nibble on. He didn’t know why everything seemed to be happening the same as it did those five years ago but if his memories served his right that night was actually a good night and it gave him hope for this night as well.

“Is there anything else I can get you before I leave for the night Orion?” Said Joyce, the waitress who had been serving him since he arrived. She was glad that unlike the other patrons of the tavern Orion was well mannered and did not call her over every five minutes to flirt with her. He never flirted with her; all he did was order his food and drink and perhaps carried on a conversation or two when she pushed the subject along. “Maybe more salted pork or steamed potatoes, or maybe even one more Dwarven ale?”

Looking up at Joyce he smiled at her food stained white apron and her tied back hair that had become tatty over the night from running back and forth to serve the patrons. “Another ale if you don’t mind and half-a-dozen steamed potatoes will be enough to last me the rest of the night.” Tossing down ten gold pieces he had given her double price of his order and had been doing it all night. He knew that she didn’t make much during the winter when most patrons were to drunk to remember to add and tip so intended to make her night as worth while as he could.

Picking the ten gold up she had stopped questioning him over the amount he gave her and took it gladly with a smile. “I will have your order to you as fast as I can.” She said in her sweet tone of voice. Turning to him she headed to a table filled with seven Dwarves talking about their glory days, taking their orders down he nodded to them and went into the back of the kitchen.

Returning to his business of staring out the window he watched the snow fall, it was a bad snow storm indeed probably one of the worst seen in years. “Oh how mother nature cares not for the agenda of man. She pummels the land with snow and if a person gets caught out in it she never loosens up her beating over her land. Oh how harsh she is to those who have tried to tame her and yet she is rarely even kind to those who fear and respect her.” Letting out a sigh of relief that he had made it to the tavern before the storm got to worse he cared not for those stuck in the storm, even his friends that he knew would sooner or later show up to seek shelter.

Walking back up to Orion’s table Joyce placed down his ale and steamed potatoes and pushed them closer to him. “I hope you have a good night tonight Orion, but I’m going home to my husband and my two daughters. I’ll be back her during the same hours tomorrow and the next few days after if you plan on being in town that long.”

Pulling his plate of steamed potatoes closer he gave his newly arrived food and drool covered smile. “I hope you have a good night Joyce and tell Marcus I say hello won’t you.” Watching as Joyce turned from his table and grabbed her coat he waited her to leave the tavern before grabbing one of the small potatoes and biting half of it off into his mouth. His eyes rolled slight into the back of his head as the seasonings on them hit his tongue all at once, it was a medley of flavors that he had never been able to recreate or buy off the owner of the tavern.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Adventurer

In the back of the tavern from inside the kitchen came the sound of falling pots and pans and the scream of a waitress. “You think you own me!?” Shouted an unseen voice from within the kitchen. “Well you don’t, I quit!” With the sound of one last pot hitting a wall the door leading to the kitchen opened and a young cook came stumping out in anger. Tearing off his stained robe he balled it up and tossed it onto the counter, not caring about the few gold he had in the pockets that fell out unto the floor.

Looking harshly at the patrons who where giving him stares of shock he said nothing, but just walked pass them heading towards the door. Halfway through the tavern he stopped however and turned back around. Going over to the counter once more he grabbed a large pack that on top of it had armor tied down. Lifting it up and strapping it around his shoulders he once again started his march across the tavern floor. “Make fun of my dreams will you, I’ll show you, and I’ll show you all that I will become a great War Master one day.” He muttered under his breath. “I’ll show you all, just wait and see!” He said with one last shout before walking out the front door and slamming it behind him.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Experienced Adventurer

“I’ll show you all, just wait and see!”

Orion casually watched the young boy as he walked through the tavern, than out the door. “Crazy boy, its snowing outside and you didn’t even get dressed.” He thought to himself while eating another potato. “I sure hope he has a place to stay or he is going to either freeze or be forced to come back in.” Looking out the window near his seat he didn’t have a view of the porch, but had yet to see the young boy leave the front gate.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Adventurer

Arn paced about the small room he had rented, the tavern was suited for his newest meeting, Arn had hoped to be on the trail of his latest quarry before the dawn, but so far the evening had been uneventful and his contact had yet to show.

Arn had already polished and oiled his weapons, both the blades sitting comfortably about his waist, beginning to get bored Arn decided to go down to the main common room of the tavern, leaving the room and taking the time to set a simple trap as a precaution against unwanted visitors, Arn silently made his way down the stairs into the warmly lit room.

The smells from the kitchen hit him first, his stomach grumbled against such inviting aromas, Arn thought he would make the most of his spare time and walked towards the bar to order a meal, noticing a few other people in the bar that Arn would have called regulars, there was one man sitting alone near one of the windows seemingly enjoying the view and his own meal.

Arn noticed before he turned his attention to his own food that the man seemed to be looking for someone, or at least waiting.
Xbox live gamertag Dbd Havok.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Will this inclimate weather ever come to an end?...

An hour or so had passed as Crae continued to search through the blanket of snow, over-turning discarded wine barrels and wooden crates left piled along side the tavern`s exterior wall in the rear of the establishment. Several pieces of broken glass, strands of cloth, and other miscellaneous items of lesser importance lay hidden under the rubble. His search brought him clear around to the other side, near the front entrance, where the trail seemed to diminish.

"Blast this fresh snow!...completely swallowed up any useful evidence." The Inquisitor mumbled under his breath, as he pulled up the woolen scarf which covered the lower part of his face, and adjusted his dark-brown long coat to keep out the chill in the air.

Only days ago did the trail of the gypsy-witch, known only as Jezibel, end here in this small town, a town which surrounded the infamous Dragon Tavern. Agents within the Steel Empire compiled information that certain witch covens had established residence within smaller towns, especially those towns that didn`t ask too many questions with regard to strangers. Being that this is a town inhabiting a rather large Inn & Eatery, the coming and going of strangers isn`t all that unusual. How fortunate for those who are in hiding.

The Inquisition, a sect within the Empire tasked with the position of tracking down and vanquishing the evils which would otherwise disrupt the natural order of things. There are those instances as well where the suspects, rather than being destroyed, would be brought in for further questioning and judgment. Summary executions, while preferred within the Inquisition, are not always the means to an end and learning from the enemy is one of the best defenses against future issues.

Crae leaned against the railing of the steps going up toward the front door of the tavern, his eyes tired and dried-out by the cold breeze of the night air. He found himself blinking in rapid succession to keep his vision focused and his mind attentive. The sun had gone below the horizon and his search would be that much more difficult, so the time had come for a break at last. As the Inquisitor turned toward the front entrance, the door suddenly burst open, followed by a young boy storming out with a look of intent in his eyes. Along his back, he carried a large sack with armor tied to it, as it clanged noisily on his way down the steps.

"Slow down, boy...there`s no hurry at this time of the evening..." Crae said, stepping to the side as the angered boy walked passed him. The Inquisitor shook his head and shrugged, as he walked up the steps and through the threshold of the front entrance.

The aroma permeating from the kitchen was a scent that caused his stomach to grumble as though he hadn`t eaten in days. The rations packed during his travels paled in comparison to what would await his hunger, and he was prepared to savor each morsel. Crae looked about the lower level dining area, noticing only a few sparse patrons engaged in conversation and enjoying the meals offered by the tavern. A waving hand caught his attention, as he turned his head to notice one of the servers flagging him down.

"I will be with you in a few moment, m`lord....please make yourself comfortable anywhere you please." The slender, elven girl said with a soft voice, her golden hair coiled to a single bun in the back of her head. Crae nodded his head in acknowledgment, and made his way over toward the table nearest to the roaring fire. He hoped that the chill of the night would fall away from his body.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Experienced Adventurer

A sinister smirk came across his face as he saw the man walk into the tavern, than take a seat near the fire. It was Crae, a man he had only meet once during an adventure of his and due to unfortunate circumstances their meeting was not long lived. “I wonder if he would remember who I am. It’s not like I didn’t act as worse as possible during that time, I’m sure I left some kind of bad impression on him.” Letting a snicker escape his mouth he held his head down as his eyes seemed to deem. “Now is not the time to interrupt him, I will let him warm himself and eat before I walk over.”

Waving down a waitress he didn’t have to wait like the others, for he flashed a piece of silver her way. IT wasn’t the nicest thing to do because it made others wait but he wanted more ale and potatoes. “Dwarven ale and steamed potatoes, please.” He muttered to the girl. Wishing he had Joyce back to serve him since she was always much better of a waitress than any other.

As he watched the waitress leave his table he decided it to be best to hid himself from Crae so he would not notice him and come over. Reaching down towards his pack him arm passed his claymore when he noticed a mouse. Flicking it with a finger he paid it no mind and opened his pack and pulled out a hood. Pulling it over his head it would be best described as a hooded cloak with the cloak. It like his armor was black but had golden lace around the edges. It had cost him a few gold to buy it off the merchant selling it and even though it stunk just a little still it was well worth the price.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Experienced Adventurer

The sweet smell of freshly baked honey bread had been a welcomed aroma considering, shortly earlier, the Inquisitor found himself knee deep sifting through garbage. The pint of ale, which seemingly went with just about any meal, was refreshing enough to calm even the most tense of situations. His investigation into the disappearance of the gypsy-witch Jezibel became that much more of a problem as time ticked away, but Crae new that a tired mind and unfocused eyes were useless. He didn`t intend on staying long, but just enough to recuperate his strength and thoughts.

"What could he be staring at?..." The Inquisitor mumbled under his breath, as he took another gulp of the ale, narrowing his eyes slightly at the armored figure across the room. He arched an eyebrow, somewhat recognizing the man from his past, but the dimness of the light made it difficult to be certain. It appeared that this stranger may either be curious or may know something, but Crae kept one eye opened in either case.

The Inquisitor pulled from his pocket a small leather-bound notebook, placed it in front of him on the table, and opened it to a marked page. His eyes began scanning through various small drawings, symbols, and text written in an unknown language. Crae ran his finger along several compiled sentences at the bottom of the page, cross-referencing the symbols on the opposite page.

"This can`t be right..." He said to himself, in a quizzical tone. "If this was the symbol allegedly tattooed on the back of her neck...then..." Crae rubbed the stubble on his chin, as he flipped through a few more pages and read through the scripture.

"hmm..."

The Inquisitor sat back for a moment, holding the ale in both hands and staring out into the dining area with a blank expression as though in deep thought. "...this would mean that the witch coven was once a part of -"

"Please excuse the delay on returning to your table, m`lord...we have been quite short-handed this evening." The elven server seemed to come out of nowhere, as Crae`s train of thought was quickly interrupted. "Oh...I-I`m sorry, did I disturb you?..." Her face seemed washed over with a tint of pink as she stood holding the metal serving tray, seeming a bit embarrassed.

"Oh? No...everything is just fine..." Crae looked down at the empty plate which once held the delectable little biscuits. "...however, could I trouble you for another order of biscuits?" He gave an appreciative half-smile in her direction.

"It`s no trouble m`lord, anything you want." She nodded her head, and turned to check up on another table.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Adventurer

Pushing aside his empty plate, Arn sat and looked around the tavern, the man whom Arn had thought was waiting for someone was now staring intently at the newest member of the room, Arn's gaze followed the man's and found himself looking at an inquisitor, not Arn would have known the man from anyone else in the room apart from perhaps one or two members of the bar staff, the man was an inquisitor because he looked like what Arn had been taught to believe an inquisitor would look like, although the training Arn had received would not count for the garbaged that still clung to the man's otherwise decent attire.

Arn wondered what an inquisitor would be doing rooting through garbage, however he did not dwell on the matter and even turned his gaze, he did not want to draw any attention to himself, especially to a man trained in hunting down dangerous or cursed people or objects, Arn noted as he trned back inis seat that the man who had been staring at the inquisitor had now donned a black hood of some sort, Arn did not know what was going on but he made sure he was ready to either fight or leave, always in that order he caught himself thinking, he decided to order a drink whilst he waited for his informer to turn up with his new job opportunity.
Xbox live gamertag Dbd Havok.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Experienced Adventurer

He pushed his half-empty ale mug away in disgust, causing it to slide only inches from the edge of the table and splash some of it`s contents. His eyes remained locked onto the various images scribbled onto the pages of the notebook laid out in front of him. The Inquisitor felt, for once in a long while, to be at a standstill in his research. As he furious flipped from one page to the next, and ran his finger vertically along each facing page, he let out a long sigh.

"This complicates matters..." he mumbled to himself, shaking his head in bewilderment. "...tremendously."

Crae could smell the fresh baked goods, which caused him to turn his head slightly to his left and notice a small plate of two biscuits laying on the table. I smirk drew across his lips, and he looked around the room for the elven server. "Wow, I must`ve been consumed in this notebook..." He said, reaching for a biscuit while also searching for the serving girl who inconspicuously laid out his order.

His survey of the dining area landed his gaze to the opposite end of the room, where a lone patron sat. His attempts at concealing the fact that he had been intermittently staring at the Inquisitor were duly noted, and yet Crae narrowed his eyes in the stranger`s direction. Far too many prying eyes. He thought to himself, wondering what had been so interesting to this man, but Crae was careful not too allow his mind to get carried away considering his pending investigation.

There were greater matters at hand.

The Inquisitor returned his attention to the notebook and tattered manuscripts atop the table, piecing together similar scraps from torn fragments.

"So how fare ye, sir?..." Her voice came as sweet as honey and her fragrance was equally pleasant. Crae looked up to meet the servers eyes, which seemed somewhat melancholy.

"Oh!, I had wondered where you ran off to. Thank you for the biscuits m`lady as they are always a treat."

Crae smiled at the elven girl, yet he quickly took note of a small bruise along the side of her neck that was partially hidden by the collar on her blouse. It was a mark that he hadn`t seen upon his initial arrival. The elven girl, noticing the Inquisitor`s gaze moved, slipped her hand up toward her collar and pulled it over the remaining part of the bruise.

"Uh, is there, anything more I may get for you, sir?..." She asked, with a bit shakiness in her voice. Her eyes moved from one end of the room to the other, and then back to Crae.

"I might ask the same of you. Are you okay?..." Crae asked, arching his eyebrow in a quizzical fashion, peeking out from the side for a moment to catch a glimpse of anything out of place within the room. "You seem...somewhat distracted."

"Oh? N-no, I am fine. Just tired is all. And we are short-handed as I`ve mentioned, so it makes things a bit unbalanced around here." She said with a half-smile, holding onto her serving tray as though it were supporting her.

"Fair enough..." Sensing a twinge of frustration in her voice, he leaned back in his chair, giving her a wide berth. "...I am fine though. Please, go about your business, m`lady." He said with a nod.

"Very good, please let me know if there is anything I can do..." She gives a slight curtsy and makes her way toward another table.

"The invitation extends to you as well...m`lady." Crae stated, pretty confident that her elven ears picked up the soft tone.