Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > General Chat

Old 09-10-2008, 04:46 AM
Adventurer

Angry Annoying!

Why present sub-locations and bosses that are impossible to beat at the player's current level? I just went from 0 wounds to dead on my HC character in a single battle. I'm pissed!

http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?im...ntavernnf8.jpg
Old 09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Adventurer

why were you fighting a monster 5 or so levels higher than you? The sub-locations DO tell you the levels involved
Old 09-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Adventurer

It's your choice to use 'em or to save em for when you level up.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Killed by Turgigigluur, what a name!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Adventurer

I see a couple of problems .. the least of which was YOU ONLY HAD A 28% CHANCE TO HIT HIM!!!!!!!!

Aside from that little tidbit ..

The boss is obviously a higher level than you .. only a 41% base chance

He had you on -3% TOAD but you made up for that with +10% skill .. so a base +7% .. not bad actually

But then there's the kicker .. the one thing that really did you in ..

A NEGATIVE 20% EQUIPMENT????? I don't know where you were fighting but you have got to be the luckiest player in the world!!! You're upset that the boss beat you??!! Do you realize that no less than SIX of your sixteen rolls were below 50%??

Bottom line: With better equipment, this character would have beaten this boss by the 3rd or 4th round .. and even if you hadn't .. you WOULD have beaten him for certain (he only had THREE HITS .. you scored one hit right out of the gate!) by the 8th or 16th at worst .. still leaving you one hit to get back to the Tavern.

ShadoWulf - Moonelf Ranger
Lum (the Mad ) - Steam Crafter
Xinthan - Necromancer
Mistress Lorien - Black Seer
Groggleslam - Dwarven Berzerker
Father Paine - Inquisitor
Khornne Bloodletter - (HC) Bone Lord
Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darqwulf0911 View Post
I see a couple of problems .. the least of which was YOU ONLY HAD A 28% CHANCE TO HIT HIM!!!!!!!!

Aside from that little tidbit ..

The boss is obviously a higher level than you .. only a 41% base chance

He had you on -3% TOAD but you made up for that with +10% skill .. so a base +7% .. not bad actually

But then there's the kicker .. the one thing that really did you in ..

A NEGATIVE 20% EQUIPMENT????? I don't know where you were fighting but you have got to be the luckiest player in the world!!! You're upset that the boss beat you??!! Do you realize that no less than SIX of your sixteen rolls were below 50%??

Bottom line: With better equipment, this character would have beaten this boss by the 3rd or 4th round .. and even if you hadn't .. you WOULD have beaten him for certain (he only had THREE HITS .. you scored one hit right out of the gate!) by the 8th or 16th at worst .. still leaving you one hit to get back to the Tavern.
I've always been confused about the roll values. What affect do they have on a fight?
Old 09-11-2008, 03:01 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by razirek View Post
I've always been confused about the roll values. What affect do they have on a fight?
make things simple: for the original poster's fight, any roll 28 or below he would've hit the opponent. anything 29 or up he got hit himself
if your final win chance is say 75%, anything higher than a 75 earns you a wound
Old 09-11-2008, 03:26 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maethus View Post
make things simple: for the original poster's fight, any roll 28 or below he would've hit the opponent. anything 29 or up he got hit himself
if your final win chance is say 75%, anything higher than a 75 earns you a wound
Ah, ok. So if the roll is lower than your overall chance of winning, it's a hit. Got it
Old 09-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Adventurer

Make sure your equipment is as good as it can be, never "upstrike" higher than 3 levels above your current (in HC, in normals you can try your luck a little further), and if you're over 50% of your max wounds past say... 15 max, then either return or avoid sublocations.

These tips should help you in creating a successful (and long lived) hardcore character.

HC-Nalia - 39 and almost 40!
Old 09-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Adventurer

I go 4 over in sublocations in normal. I think it's worth it because of the drastic gold/xp boost, but you will die from time to time.