Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > General Chat

Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Thumbs up Role-play Game Chat

Salutations!

Fellow Dungeoneers, what draws you to the game? This game in particular, could be the easy 15 minute play a day, non complicated rules, or dungeon crawl setting.

I like this game (Dragon Tavern) for all the above reasons. I also play other role-play games. When I say RPG I mean the figurative old school term, not the term which is pasted onto any video game that is released that features a dungeon and/or a sword. Although Bethesda have achieved something I call an RPG.

I play table top role-play games too. The type you actually sit around a table, with dice, character sheets, and some pizza. I love dice. I love twisting rules, and love player driven character stories.

I as original poster, ask you, to chat about rpgs!

Questions you might want to answer in your post:
  • Have you played any table top RPGS?
  • what is your favourite rpg video game?
  • do you have any friends that like rpg?
  • What got you into playing rpgs?
  • do you currently play any rpgs?

Thanks for taking the time to read the post and hope you join the forum and chat !
Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 AM
Adventurer

1. I have played more table-top RPGs than I can count (lost count in the 20's). Other than writing, I have no other hobby I look forward to and remember as fondly.

2. Favorite CRPG is hands down Morrowind. I hoped for the game to be trumped though, especially by a company other than Bethesda. I feel like they've lost their edge and are living off something that hasn't been significantly added to for some time now.

As an alternative answer to this, though not a traditionally a CRPG, the MUD DragonRealms was the closest thing to role playing I've ever had in a video game. For some reason though, on a couple hundred are still willing to play a text-based CRPG 20 years later still...

3. I have several friends and dozens of associates that I play table-top RPGs with.

4. Original D&D books found in a friend's father's bookcase. It piqued an interest and I had to learn how to play.

5. Primarily playing PFRPG; however, I have several others sprinkled in such as the Dresden RPG and various old school White Wolf games.

6. And your suggested question, I play DT because I enjoy a 15 minute or so distraction during lunch. Clears my head before I get back to work. Also, I love the fact that there is an interesting statistical challenge to build a powerful character quickly (not that I have been extremely successful).
Old 01-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Experienced Adventurer

1. Yes. Many, many different types.

2. Favourite video RPG? Hm. I liked "Kingdoms of Amalur" for most things, although it was lacking in some areas (such as when you made a choice in certain quests, the game never really acknowledged these choices; also, there were hints of it running deeper than what you got... Though that may have just been Salvatore's writing.)

I've also enjoyed the little bit I know about "Dragon Age" - I'll pick up that game and finish it someday. And "Kingdom Hearts", even if it did get to be more of a movie than a game at points.

3. Many friends. Many, many friends. Especially if LARPing counts too.

4. Sort of originally, D&D Basic books found in my parents' bookshelf. Later, actually met a group of gamers in high school and began playing then.

5. 3.5 & 4e D&D, White Wolf Mage & Vampire, Exalted (both as a Abyssal & a Sidereal), and some sporadic White Wolf Vampire LARPs.

6. And as to what draws me to this game: the detail in the world. A friend and I have talked about trying to figure out how to build the world of DT into a 3.5 or 4e D&D setting (D&D because we both know it relatively well, and it honestly would fit better than White Wolf would. We don't share any other systems in common strongly enough to use them).

Chosen (unwillingly)
Acended One
Abyssal
Celestial
Old 01-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Experienced Adventurer

1. Yes, but I played Czech games that you don't know. One is called Dragon Lair (something like Dungeons&Dragons that I know from Baldur's Gate) and Dream Shards (very simple rules with almost no dice rolls, where every player has very active role in story telling).

2. Aquaria. It's not exactly RPG, but have some RPG element's. My favourite full RPG is Final Fantasy VII. I haven't played the new FF, because its not for PC.

3. I had some poor friends, but now I have none and it's hard to find someone in my region.

4. My uncle got me to it, he was great storyteller. And I also liked gamebooks. Not rule book, but books where you decide what will happen. For example: "You are on crossroad, if you want to go north, turn to page 51, if you want to go south, turn to 204, if you want to go back to west, turn to 183."

5. No, I have no friends to play with.

6. I like DT because it's not too competitive (no one can take my gear or harm my characters if I don't play), it has interesting, but simple system and I don't have to spend much time, playing it.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGwyddion View Post
3. Many friends. Many, many friends. Especially if LARPing counts too.
Do you do any convention LARPing? A good buddy of mine is running the Vampire LARP at the Mid Winter Gaming Con this month. And a group of us try to head to Gen Con each year to LARP.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KniteFlux View Post
Do you do any convention LARPing? A good buddy of mine is running the Vampire LARP at the Mid Winter Gaming Con this month. And a group of us try to head to Gen Con each year to LARP.
I haven't recently. I did learn that I sort of prefer the LARPs that are only covered in the Con rather than on-going ones. I've played some that have on-going campaigns, and the difference in experience between my little starting character and the ones who have been playing for years... I find it harder to get really involved in the storylines, since my little character simply can't compete with the larger sheets.

I haven't been to GenCon in several years. The only times I've gone I ended up essentially working the entire Con (running games for the RPGA's Living Forgotten Realms, which is based in 4e D&D). Fun, but it means I actually don't have a good sense of the con (except for the walk from my hotel to the Sagamore Ballroom where my games were taking place.) But then, I enjoy running games and the challenge of trying to make sure that everyone is engaged and having fun.

Chosen (unwillingly)
Acended One
Abyssal
Celestial
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGwyddion View Post
I haven't recently. I did learn that I sort of prefer the LARPs that are only covered in the Con rather than on-going ones. I've played some that have on-going campaigns, and the difference in experience between my little starting character and the ones who have been playing for years... I find it harder to get really involved in the storylines, since my little character simply can't compete with the larger sheets.
I hear you. I've also been sorely disappointed with almost all of the on-going LARP campaigns that I've ever tried joining. The amount of ass kissing you have to do to be considered part of the in crowd is just not my thing. There are independent LARP campaigns out there not tied to any affiliation; however, they tend to be even harder to find or get involved with than a good table top game.

An associate of mine is running a Dresden Files LARP at GenCon this year (based on the novel series). If you you head out there this August, you should consider giving it a go. It looks like it's pulling together very well.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KniteFlux View Post
I hear you. I've also been sorely disappointed with almost all of the on-going LARP campaigns that I've ever tried joining. The amount of ass kissing you have to do to be considered part of the in crowd is just not my thing. There are independent LARP campaigns out there not tied to any affiliation; however, they tend to be even harder to find or get involved with than a good table top game.

An associate of mine is running a Dresden Files LARP at GenCon this year (based on the novel series). If you you head out there this August, you should consider giving it a go. It looks like it's pulling together very well.
Sadly, I will not be able to make it out to GenCon this year (though friends of mine are going), but I'm hoping someday to make it out there (again).

And yeah; though it isn't always about the ass-kissing. There's a little bit of luck required (do you happen in at the right time, with a right solution). But the amount of OOC favouritism that happens is somewhat disgusting. There are character who receive rewards that they shouldn't (in genre), but they get them because of who they know.

Chosen (unwillingly)
Acended One
Abyssal
Celestial
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Thumbs up Role-play Game Chat

Great answers! My biggest doubt was that nobody would answer, but to get people who have actually been to Gen Con ! Bloody amazing !

In the UK they run a convention called "Conception" http://www.conceptionuk.org/index.php/about/ Its much more low brow than Gen Con, but its driven by people who play the games and who are passionate about the hobby. It doesn't gather swarms of people, but it is well organised and you can role play, so that's the main thing !

I'll be running a game of Dungeons and Dragons this Friday for a group of our local players and we will be using the Next Playtest rules and conversion process for "Against the Cult of Chaos" which is the latest D&D Encounters.

Just before Christmas 2012 I played a couple of months worth of Call of Cthulhu. I still prefer D&D, but it's now another game I have played, and to be honest the games you play are only as good as the people you play them with.

I also enjoy Dragon Tavern because of the reasons you gave drake.starfall also possibly it's because I don't own a high end PC, just a simple netbook, and can't get away with playing a game for too long. I find there are just too many chores to be done in life ! http://www.chorewars.com/

Last edited by StarDebut; 02-13-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Hi, follow up post here a few weeks later,

I would like to see if there is anybody who is interested in playing an RPG using roll20.net

It is a web based virtual table-top programme, requires registration and has forums for finding games.

If you haven't heard of it before and are interested in table-top RPGs, then hopefully I've helped. Most of you here, especially seeing as you are reading this thread, have experience in RPGs, perhaps you have no locals to play with but some really great ideas for adventures, or campaigns. Or maybe you have a rules system you haven't played yet. Although to be honest it would be easier to stick to a game where the majority already know the rules.

It doesn't require much hardware to play, and needs internet connection. Preferably Skype for mic and webcam chat.