Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Rookie Advice

Old 12-24-2010, 02:44 AM
Adventurer

Default Trick to help with hardcore

So I've been playing with hardcore characters for a while and it is the most frustrating/rewarding part of the game to me. The only problem is they die so very easily and they of course do not come back. It's especially bad at the lower levels I usually find that I can't keep up with the equipment they need to have a negative against monsters. A trick I've found when starting a hardcore character is that when they reach about level 4 (when the equipment deficit starts to be a real problem and also on the first day of most HC's lives) instead of buying something that won't help I go gambling. I put everything they've got into one bet. If they win they usually have enough gold to buy the equipment they need to match or surpass the monsters they're facing. If they lose it all then they take a trip to Ashpeak Mountains where they are a grease spot in the path of the first monster they meet. It's a little trick that makes the first few days a little easier.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Something I do is with their skills:

First I buy all three ranks of Haggler. Then I buy up the Wounds skill. After that, I'll start going with the Counter/Refinement skills.

Of course, you are welcome to take my advice with a grain of salt - I do only play one HC, since I don't like the perma-death of the HC. Of course, little Tilney has died many times before reaching where she is now (in the mid-60s).

(Also, don't play your HC when you can't give them a decent amount of attention - otherwise, you could get yourself killed. :P Done that more than a few times... Hitting "E" repeatedly in quick sucession is a bad idea for any player who wants a HC with to have a long life.)

Chosen (unwillingly)
Acended One
Abyssal
Celestial
Old 12-25-2010, 05:19 AM
Adventurer

Actually I think the best advice for any hardcore character is: patience. Hardcore play isn't a sprint it's an endurance test. Pace your character, don't bite off more than you can chew, and (despite the boredom factor) the safe path is the better one.

It might take you 3x longer to get to level 60 than the other guy but one little slip-up means he'll be starting over again and you'll keep right on going.