Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Roach Catchers

Old 07-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Question Items weight

It's not a bug but I'd like admins to explain why...

Items weight are ALWAYS 1, 2 or 10. Why nothing else? It's very easy to spot when you return to Tavern and get the list of all the items we were carrying.

If I was a programmer I guess I would have a table with every minimal items weigth then use a ramdom number generator between 1 and 3 to add to the item just found so it output more interesting weight values.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Experienced Adventurer

I asked a simple question and yet no reply... let me show you.

Items weight are ALWAYS 1, 2 or 10.

Enough?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Dragon Tavern Overseer

Hi Rhialto!

You are right that they're constant. We don't really have anything against variability in weights, but didn't see it as a big priority putting that variation in. Perhaps something for down the track, to pretty up the sell output.

- DM

Old 07-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Experienced Adventurer

It would be nice to tell us out you got there? When you all sat down and thought about it and the one who implemented or programmed it never noticed this? Those game use so much random everywhere that it's funny that you forgot this time.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Administrator

It's done on purpose this way because the items are meant to represent different levels of taking up space. You know that you can carry 10 common items, 50 rare items or 100 exotics.

Think of it as a slot system.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Experienced Adventurer

All [C] items weight 10, [R] weight 2 and [E] weight 1. Ok for the slot system but will you improve on this? It sure does not look good.

You cannot go this way?

ItemWeight=INT(RND(1)*4)+BaseItemWeight

CarriedWeight=CarriedWeight+ItemWeight

Yes it is simple and your formula must be a little more complex but you get the idea...
Old 09-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Wanted to know if anything will happen with this. 10, 2 and 1 weight being the only possible weigth for over 400 items is strange.

Not displaying the weight could also be an option, I understand you use it for calculating 'space' but it make no difference to us with the only option to collect and sell when we return back to the Tavern.

If we COULD drop items then it would be very different. I wish I could drop item with no value that weight to much so I can play another 3-4 AP before returning to the Tavern.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Adventurer

I guess this kinda off the exact topic but i was wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post

Not displaying the weight could also be an option, I understand you use it for calculating 'space' but it make no difference to us with the only option to collect and sell when we return back to the Tavern.
If it makes no difference to us since the only option is to sell the stuff off, why the push to have the weight numbers ( 1, 2, 10) either changed or removed?
I guess it would be enough to list them as just C, R, E but I'm curious as to why the number thing seems so particular to you.

No offense intended, just curious!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalker View Post
If it makes no difference to us since the only option is to sell the stuff off, why the push to have the weight numbers ( 1, 2, 10) either changed or removed?
If it makes no diff to us, why we have to see them? I just find this annoying. They worked hard to add many different original items names that are nice too look at but weight does not make sense.

I agree with you, knowing it's a C, R or E only would be enough and I will have more fun guessing a weight myself for an item than reading C = 10 and E=1

I was just curious to bump that up after so long, this only prove I was not really looking for a change the day I asked for such but after all this time I wanted to ask if we would see some modifications on this sooner or later.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
They worked hard to add many different original items names that are nice too look at but weight does not make sense.
That right there is as good a reason as any! These folks have put together a great game and I can understand your desire for just that wee bit more...Uniqueness? Mayhaps it will be that they one day achieve that perfect level of ale consumption needed to come up with a creative reworking of the weight system.

Or mayhaps they will just pass out.