Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 07-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Default The Story of Orisia

Well, being new to the game Iíve had the sudden urge to delve into some role playing. So, hereís a story about my character Orisia, it will continue to evolve as my character does and I might include some of my other characters along the way as well. All feedback is greatly appreciated. So, gather by the fire and find a comfortable log as I weave this tale...

Prologue

Young and naÔve, Orisia was adopted into a lower class family of alchemists at the age of nine. Despite his parents poverty his creativity in the often questioned art of alchemy was never the least stifled. Little is known about his past before he was welcomed into the house of Olram, (which he refers to as Uncle). Olram was wedded to Marian, also a gifted alchemist much similar to Orisia. Though his Aunt and Uncle unconditionally loved him as if he was their own child, Orisia felt a void inside himself; one that he would later find is not easily filled.

Part I

Waking up somewhat hungry at midnight, Orisia silently escaped the confines of his little decorated bedroom making way to the store closet of his small shack like house. Slowly creaking open the door to the closet, something caught his eye, a loose floorboard with a small hole about the size that an average man's ring finger would easily slide into. Bending down on the dusty floor he filled the hole with his pointer finger and slowly lifted it up, shocked to see it come up with such ease, underneath stood a book. Somewhat surprised he lifted it up out of the dark space. Books for poorer folk were rare, even for a family of alchemists. The family mostly used scrolls to record notes and formulas, mainly due to the fact that they were cheap and available at the time.

Running his curious blue eyes over the book, he noted a few symbols that he recognized and some runes unknown on the cover. Suddenly he realized that the book was one of forbidden alchemy, that of which broke the laws of nature and science, not abiding to the current limits of alchemy that were set by the Steel Empire Alchemist Council. Such a book could have anyone of any status severely punished.

Thoughts of delving into such a dark art raced through Orasia's mind. He pondered about all of the endless possibilities. With such power he could do anything. He thought to himself how he could use it to hopefully dig deeper into his past, discover such powers to manipulate metal at will; anything seemed possible. He then consider something for a moment. No, no it's not possible he thought. He could never leave his Aunt and Uncle. Although his 19th birthday did near, he realized he couldn't stay there forever.

Grasping the intricately detailed book he tore out a blank page in the back of it and quickly scribbled a note. It was simple, it said that he was leaving to live his own life. He thanked them for everything and signed it with love. Placing the note on the kitchen table, he quickly ran to his room and gathered his little belongings. Some scrolls for basic alchemy, some tattered clothing and his little money. Carrying the new found book in his right hand he brushed his straight shoulder length brown hair out of his face.

Tears filled in his eyes as he quietly left the house. He thought that he would have to of left sooner or later and his Aunt and Uncle would of had little use for the book. Walking out of the walled city by the eastward gate he looked out to the lands before him.

Traveling east would lead him to the Shattered Highlands. There he could live unnoticed while he mastered these dangerous arts. Orisia slowly raised his thin brown hood over his scruffy, but fair face. He then began his journey walking in the lovely and still dark of the night.

To Be Continued...

Last edited by Flash; 07-04-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Adventurer

Its not bad, but it's a little vague. You could be a bit more descriptive though I think.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Angel View Post
Its not bad, but it's a little vague. You could be a bit more descriptive though I think.
I will, I've only been playing for a day so I'm still testing the waters.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:48 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Very well-written. I like the idea of this tale. Also, I think it's descriptive enough -- you can let your imagination fill in the blanks. I, as an author, don't like making the landscaping too specific -- I describe it well, but leave room for the imagination of the reader. It's very difficult to do that, and I have trouble not delving into the deepest details that my ADD mind can muster.
Ryoku Level 6 Warmaster

"This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination."

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Helping Ashen's plot to destroy those damned bunnies and their plot to take the world over.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-san View Post
Very well-written. I like the idea of this tale. Also, I think it's descriptive enough -- you can let your imagination fill in the blanks. I, as an author, don't like making the landscaping too specific -- I describe it well, but leave room for the imagination of the reader. It's very difficult to do that, and I have trouble not delving into the deepest details that my ADD mind can muster.
Thanks! I always like the reader as seeing what they wanted to see, not always what the author is telling them.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Part I - Continued

Conitnuing eastward Orisia noted how the sun began to bleed through the sky. Morning was coming and he was grateful that he had made decent progress through the night, around 12-13 miles. Out in the distance his eyes caught upon a small structure sitting behind a rising hill. Orisia thought to set up a temporary camp there and and pry open his new text.

He kept walking until he finally came upon the structure that had previously caught his eye. It turned out to be an ancient shrine of some god unknown. The ruins stood proudly as the sun rose behind them. There laid an alter engraved with flowing designs. Also, stood a few pillars no taller than himself and rubble that lied upon the floor. Orisia was suddenly reminded of how great kings would often hide treasure beneath alters for safe keeping.

Testing his thought, Orisia went up to the alter placing his belongings on the hard ground beneath him. Pushing it with all of his strength he was able move the alter. Beneath revealed a large wooden chest with a heavy metal latch. Lifting it curiously he found a sturdy set of of kitchen pots and pans. Beneath it was a small leather pouch containing flint and some gems which he estimated were worth around 400-500 gold pieces in total.

Sitting upon a large piece of stone he gently opened the book surprised by the fact that the entire text was neatly hand written in a dark gold ink. Skimming through his fingers stopped at a page holding a large symbol. It was a circle outlined by another circle and inside a series of runes were drawn around a massive ring. The page before read the following:

"This must only be casted upon in the dead of the night far before morning and long after day. Draw the alchemist ring on the following page on solid ground, large enough for you to kneel in. Once that is completed, light a ring of fire around to guard yourself from harm. Kneel inside the circle and close your eyes as the transformation takes place. If completed correctly a new power should flow in your vains, one of which will allow to form and shape all metal around at will, even which little remains within the earth. With great power comes..."

At that point the rest of the page was torn, but none the less he couldn't believe his eyes. He would do this tonight he thought. He must. Waiting for the day to end seemed to of taken forever. He mostly just fished in a nearby river with a stake that he made by sharpening a stick upon a cracked stone. Orisia was only able to catch one fish, but he cooked and ate it gratefully. Sleeping the rest of the day he then reached nightfall. Waiting a few hours until the witching hour had crept upon him, he took the dry wood that he had gathered and placed it in a ring formation. Drawing the symbol from the book on the cleared ground with the previous stake, he knelt down. He then lite the ring around him and the wood cracked and suddenly blazed furiously. A part of him doubted that this would even prove an outcome. Beginning to close his eyes he saw a figure hurriedly approaching him. Long and graceful it seemed to be an elf.

"Wait! No! Don't -, " but before Orisia could finish the mysterious elf figure had smothered the fire by dosing it in water. Suddenly a fiery pain ran through Orisia's spine as the elf screamed in horror. His eyes exploded open with a bright light shining through them like a beacon; the same happening to his mouth. Orisia cried in pain. Outstretching his arms and kneeling, a gold like fire began burning a path down his arms in a wave-like pattern. The elf feared far too much to go over and assist him.

As everything slowed to a stop, Orisia's vision became blurred and he fell into what seemed like an ever lasting slumber.

To Be Continued...

Last edited by Flash; 07-09-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Part I Continued...

"Uncle! It won't fly. I did everything you told me, but once I flew it off of the butcher's roof it stumbled to the ground like a rock!" spoke Orisia as tears filled his wide blue eyes.

"Ah, let me see," said his Uncle in a gentle voice. He then carefully took the ornithopter from the dirty boy's hands and examined it carefully looking over his glasses. He shook his head knowingly and a small sliver of a smile grew on his face. He then handed the device back to the small boy.

"You can't fix it, Uncle?" questioned Orisia completely puzzled.

"It fell because it wasn't strong enough," said the old man as his lifted up the boys chin. "It needs more support, specifically in the left wing."

Suddenly Orisia wiped his tears away and his eyes became large in certainty. He then placed the broken ornithopter upon the floor and pulled out a small flask that he had tied to his belt. Pouring some of the radiant liquid out of the flask onto the left wing he quietly chanted to himself. The wing then became mended and the old man clapped his hands and patted Orisia on the back.

Orisia woke only to feel the cold grasp that the air held around him. Shaking furiously as he rose he tried opening his eyes. They didn't open easily at first which greatly worried him. As soon as his vision cleared he looked around for any sign of some being. He then remembered the previous night and looked down at his arms. They were wrapped neatly in a clean linen bandages that reached all the up to his elbows. A tall lanky elf approached him. Orisia looked up at him dumbly. The elf handed him a wooden bowl filled with some steaming stew. He stole the spoon out of the elf's hand and ate hungrily. The stew tasted of game.

"You have lost much of your energy, young alchemist," said the elf as he bent down and started a fire with Orisia's flint. Orisia then noticed that he was in some form of a cave. Though it was a cave, it felt much cooler then any cave he had been in before and the walls seemed to have been merged with ice. He was in a glacier cave. Finishing the bowl Orisia tried to pry off the bandages that were wrapped more tightly then they appeared. The elf bent over and ran his long fingers over his wrists and the bandages fell to the cold hard ground.

Orisia gasped. Along both of his arms were long designs of waves weaving in and out of each other. They appeared to be slightly glowing. He touched them then cried in pain making a fist in his right hand.

"I didn't know that you were performing an alchemist rite ritual. I wouldn't of put out the fire, but it appears that you suffered few minor injuries from the ceremony. Your pain should simmer down in a few days," said the elf as he restrung his bow. Orisia wasn't surprised at how knowledgeable the elf was. He had never seen an elf, but it was a common stereotype that they were intelligent.

They then both turned their heads quickly as they heard a growling at the mouth of the cave.

To Be Continued...

Last edited by Flash; 07-06-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Experienced Adventurer

End of Part I

The elf jumped to his feet and drew a long elegant dagger from his left boot. Orisia had no weapons on him, for the elf seemed to have taken his belt which contained all of his necessary potions and needed tools for an alchemist to defend him or herself. That sudden word dusted away something in his memory. Defend, without potions? Wield metal at will! He then suddenly recalled that he was granted the ability to manipulate metal in the earth at will. Staggering to his feet he hurriedly walked up to the elf's position were he stood just out of the mouth of the cave.

Standing before them was a pale man garbed in a layered black cloak. His eyes locked onto the elf as he rose his left arm and spat out a crude sounding chant. The elf thrusted this dagger froward aiming for the dark man's chest, but before he could of been successful the elf froze in place as if time itself suddenly stopped. Orisia sprung out his right forward towards the mysterious man. Orisia's heart seemed to have logged itself in his throat. His arm shook and then Orisia felt a great pain come rushing down his viens. Upon the ground just a foot away from the intruder metal small specs of metal began to gather together. They then sparkled in the moon's light. The metallic bits pressed together to form a small mass of liquid quicksilver which levitated in the air.

Orisia was couldn't reason how this was happening, but he continued on with his new found instinct. Jutting his arm forward as the design etched upon his skin burned brighter then ever the pool of liquid quicksilver pinned the man to the ground. The elf then unfroze just to be amazed as Orisia was at his abilities. The quick silver dispersed and formed shackles and chained the man to the cold ground. The man then drifted off into sleep.

"Well that went better then expected," said Orisia kneeling down to pull the black hood off of the stranger.

"You seem to have used alchemy by instinct. Like magic it can be useful at times, but dangerous for you don't know if your mind can withstand it," informed the tall elf.

"Right...well my name is Orisia coming from the Steel Empire."

"Greetings," said the elf as he gently bowed his head. "I am Gazentherawl of the Meadowbrook Camp deep within the Mountain Kingdoms. You may call me Gaze. I was scouting ahead for my people, we have heard news of an uprising."

Now it made some sense Orisia thought. This moon elf must be a ranger. Who else would have so much knowledge of how to tend to wounds or of what an alchemist rite ritual was?

Orisia nodded. "Though we know each other who is he?" Orisia then looked back at Gaze deep in thought expecting a decent explanation.

"I don't know. He's probably from the Deadlands. Maybe a necromancer?" questioned Gaze rubbing his temple.

"Or a seer. A black seer." Orisia then lifted up a heavy medallion that lied upon the man's cloak. The medallion was in the shape of a dark sun surrounded by a series of bright green rays.

"Wise observation. Let's gather our valuables and head back further near my post. There you can have your fill of food and we can further find out the identity of this seer."

Gaze and Orisia gathered their little belongings and broke the chains that tied the seer to the ground with a nearby rock. The black seer still seemed to have been in a steadfast sleep or maybe just unconscious. Gaze then lifted up the seer and placed the dead like body on his shoulder. Orisia was shocked by the elf's strength. Seeing it as nothing Gaze then walked forward and Orisia followed. It was now morning.

To Be Continued In Part II

Last edited by Flash; 07-09-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Adventurer

Good story so far. You dont mind if i copy and paste it to a word document to see it all on 1 page, do you?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Adventurer

oh i forgot to ask in my last post, how many chapters are going to be in this?