Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 07-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Adventurer

Send a message via MSN to Rafeal

There probably is a religion like that somewhere in the world Ashen. I could probably find it too, but I'm an atheist, so yeah.

Its cool though, gives me more time to come up with the sketches for Rafeal and Mira. And more time to create an elaborate tale.

'We're the regulators that deregulate
We're the animators that deanimate
We're the propagators of all genocide
Burning through the world's resources, then we turn and hide'

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Helping Ashen's plot to destroy those damned bunnies and their plot to take the world over.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:11 AM
Adventurer

Muha, I did my sketches, but the one for Mira is kinda terrible. Need to flesh her character out some more. Probably going to revise Rafeal's too, looks too much like the one of my Dragon Knight, minus the wings and giant sword.

~~~~~~~
Part 2
~~~~~~~

Rafeal snorted, waking up suddenly, his eyes flicking around as his mind methodically processed the events that led to him to being in the cave he was in. 'Crap... I hope that mage is still trapped... Not likely though...' He thought to himself, aware of the small child still sleeping on him. "Crap..." He grumbled, nudging the child gently until the girl woke up.

"Time for breakfast?" Mira asked sleepily, rubbing her eyes a bit, her yellow hair hanging down her back as she stretched.

"Its the middle of the night, what makes you think its time for breakfast?" Rafeal asked, moving her off of his chest, standing up and stretching slightly. "We need to move, because I am truly terrible at hunting. And I'm still somewhat sore from running from that mage." He said, cracking his knuckles and rubbing his legs, working the cramps in his muscles out in the course of a few minutes.

"Lets go then..." He said, offering the child his hand, the girl hopping up and taking his hand as he walked out, heading for the Dragon Tavern. "You'd think they'd build some good roads to that tavern...." He grumbled as they picked their way through the gully, the going slow as the night wore on...

Rafeal stopped, the hair on the back of his neck rising up suddenly, pulling the child against his leg as he looked around, gathering necromantic energy in his right hand. He snorted, his vision blurring slightly as he shook his head. 'Bah... nerves... I'm tired...' He complained mentally, continuing to lead them through the gully before they came onto a hill, looking at the lights of the Dragon Tavern. "Finally..." He grumbled, leading her down the hill, looking at the girl as she started to whimper. "What?"

"My feet... they hurt..." She sniffed, pointing to her unshod feet, raw and bleeding in some places from the trip through the gully.

"Gah, why didn't you tell me sooner?" Rafeal asked, crouching in front of the child. "Tch, you don't need to walk... Unsymmetrical looking as it'll be, I'm gonna have to carry you..." He grumbled, picking the girl up and continuing towards the Dragon Tavern. "As a different subject, can you tell me why you were that mage's sacrifice?" He asked as they walked.

Mira blinked, closing her eyes as she tried to remember what had led up to her being in that room. "I had been with my family in the Skyclaw Ridge. We had been going to sell some furs my brothers had gotten. It was just another day for us, but then that mage showed up in front of us." She said, biting her lip slightly, her eyes still closed. "He demanded we either give him gold, or me to him so he could have a sacrifice for a summoning spell. We didn't have any gold, and my brothers weren't willing to just give me to that mage. So, they attacked him, and they... they..." Mira sniffled, tears starting to fall out of her eyes.

Rafeal sighed as he watched the tavern getting closer, processing her story in his mind. 'Why a child this young? I don't remember ever reading about any summoning magic that requires a sacrifice of a life. Blood, yes, but never a life... What was that mage trying to summon?' He thought to himself, seeing that the girl had fallen back alseep. "Of course..." He mumbled under his breath, the smell of ale, food, and other things wafting towards him from the settlement. 'I can't leave her here... Too much of a risk for this place... And the only library I can think of that has books on this stuff is the one at Soulforge Academy.' He thought to himself, sighing a bit. "Guess its back to the Deadlands then, after we get her some shoes and some supplies for the trip back. But, before that... Treatment for her feet, and food for both of us..." He muttered softly as he kicked the doorframe of the Dragon Tavern, one of the patrons opening the door, the man falling on his drunken arse in surprise.

"W-what's a Deadie like you doin' with a child in your arms?" He asked, his eyes bugging out, fearing that the child was dead. His question had drawn the attention of several other patrons as well, some of them noting that the necromancer carrying the girl didn't look too well himself.

"Shut up... I need to get this girl some help for her feet, then we both need food." He said, setting her in a chair at an empty table. "She isn't dead, you racist twits. I said I need some help on treating her wounds, because I normally work on dead things, not living ones." He snapped at the still dumbfounded patrons, necromantic energy crackling on his hands.

"Oi oi, 'sall the ruckus out here 'bout?" The bartender asked, the man taking stock of the situation before her snapped his fingers at one of the girls. "Help th' lad will ya? Deadies don't exactly spicilize in treatin' livin' folks." He said, shaking his head as he returned to managing the kitchen, the girl approaching Rafeal warily. "May I see her?" She asked softly, watching with surprise as the necromancy stepped back without being haughty about it.

Rafeal sighed, rubbing his neck slightly as he watched the serving girl tend to Mira's feet. 'Bah, we're both going to be hunted by that mage and his minions till I either kill him, or he kills me... If I kill him, it'll be a symmetrical death for him...' Rafeal thought darkly to himself, watching the girl finish up and leave, Rafeal flopping into a chair next to Mira, waiting for his food as he made a check list of what equipment and supplies they would need for the trip to the Deadlands. 'He might be desperate enough to chase me and her to and through the Deadlands, but he'd have to be crazier than I am to try and assault me near or in Soulforge Academy.' He thought to himself, nudging the girl awake as their food arrived. "Here, eat. You need it." He said, consuming his meal without trying to identify what it was.

Mira blinked softly, her feet no longer hurting her as much. She looked at the wrappings on them before looking at him, watching him eat for a moment before eating as well, hunger gnawing at her like a rabid wolf suddenly. She ate the food quickly, leaving little in the way of scraps, her stomach fuller than it had been. She looked up at Rafeal again, smiling a bit. "Thank you.." She said, looking around the tavern curiously.

Rafeal nodded abit, mildly surprised at her voracious appetite. "I'll make a wager he didn't bother to feed you much." He said, watching her nod vigorously as a response to his question. He ate a few more bites of his food before looking at her. "Still hungry?" He asked, the girl nodding again. "Here, have at." He said, sliding his bowl towards her, the girl amazing him again at the speed with which she consumed the food. 'I doubt I'll figure it out.' He thought to himself, a smile flickering across his features as he stood up.

"We'll get some supplies, including shoes, for you in the morning." He said to her as he paid for a room for them, carrying her into the room and giving her the bed. "Sleep well... I suppose? Sorry if my manners are rough and terrible... Don't often deal with people." He said as he laid on the floor, using his pack as a pillow. He grunted a bit as he removed his boot, his foot throbbing in pain, a rock falling out of the boot. 'Probably got in there while I was running...' He thought to himself picking it up and looking at it, his violet eyes twinkling softly. 'Well... That's a nice surprise. That'd be enough to cover our supplies for the trip then.' He thought to himself, pocketing the moderately valuable gemstone and pulling his boot back onto his foot. 'Fate...Sometimes you're not so bad... I still hate you for landing me with this kid though... With a perfect sphere of hatred, do I hate you Fate...' He grumbled mentally, dozing off after a few moments....

--------

The tower rattled suddenly before the roof exploded in a column of fire and magic, the fire fading away, leaving the top of the tower smoking violently. A man coughed loudly inside of the tower, heading for the exit. "Stupid meddling necromancer...." He snarled, his robes flapping loudly as he looked around, patting dust and soot out of his robes. "I don't care where that necromancer flees to, I shall hunt him down, pull his bones from his body and retrieve my sacrifice..." The man snarled, beginning to stalk towards the Dragon Tavern.

"Now, now, Gyphon, that just isn't like you. Did a wittle necromancer get the better of you? Not only that, he also stole your sacrifice? Tsk tsk, you're not getting all rusty on me are you?" A woman asked, chuckling as the man whirled around, vanishing from the rock she had been sitting on and appearing behind him. "Now, tell me, how much longer am I gonna have to wait for my ascension to immortality and godhood?" She hissed in his ear.

"Not too long, my pet, as long as you let me do my bloody work." Gyphon snapped at her, mildly relieved when she stood back in front of him. He looked at the woman before rubbing his temples slightly. "He's going to die, either way this goes." He said, turning on his heel and heading towards the Dragon Tavern.

"What will you do if he heads for the Deadlands with the girl? You know how they treat invaders such as yourself." She asked in a sing-song voice, taunting him.

"I'll follow him into the Deadlands and retrieve my sacrifice from him and then I'll kill him, and any other Deadlander that tries to stop me, that's what I will do." He snarled over his shoulder at her, walking into the night.

"Tch, men, they never plan when they get all upset..." She muttered, walking off into the night as well. "Oh well, either way, I'm going to become a god." She said, whistling a tune into the night....

~~~~~~~~~
End Part2
~~~~~~~~~

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Helping Ashen's plot to destroy those damned bunnies and their plot to take the world over.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Send a message via MSN to Sandsfire

Great Story ,, Keep It up ,, ya got a good plot too..
Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Adventurer

Thanks. I was drawin' Rafeal, and the songs that came to my mind were Forgiven, by Disturbed and Old School Hollywood, by System of a Down

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Ah! Lovely! Man, I like this one, really. Hey...did you ever notice how the word "symmetry" isn't symmetrical? Isn't that kind of ironic? Racecar is symmetrical, though. ^^ Yes, I'm partly insane, partly ADD, and partly a perfectionist. XD And also, I'm very observant with stuff like that when it's just random and I happen to see it...like the symmetry thing...it's part of being ADD...um, what was I saying...?
Ryoku Level 6 Warmaster

"This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination."

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Adventurer

Yes, I am aware the word 'symmetry' isn't symmetrical, but I think Rafeal's insane enough lol. ANd, I'm not sure what you were talking about, started off as a compliment about the story, then you went into a whole 'nother subject

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Yeah, it just proves that I'm Attention Deficit (meaning, I have the attention span of a leaf. Or a fly. Or a goldfish. They don't really have memories of three seconds, you know, but still...). I had to stop myself from babbling in that post.

ADD = Attention Deficit Disorder. If I start to ramble again, slap me and it should go away. That's part of the reason I'm such a bad writer when it comes to NOT babbling on about the description -- I can't help it unless I get pulled out of hyper-focus. Hyper-focus is a state where I'm so focused on what I'm doing I barely notice anything else. It's common with ADD and ADHD (Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder).

Anyways, praises! But don't Deadlanders hate everything alive anyway? Kinda like how the Vokites are prejudice against anything that's not human? But, nonetheless, some of the Deadlanders might just follow their homeland's ways and not necessarily hate everything living....babbling...*slaps self*
Ryoku Level 6 Warmaster

"This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination."

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Adventurer

Lol, you have a point. And, I made a point to use that stereotypical attitude. Most Deadlanders are alive, at least when they first start their professions. Rafeal is still a newb, pardon the term, and is alive, so he kinda does have a few human emotions left.

That, and from what I've read about most mythos, a necromancer's ultimate goal and the entire point of his profession, is to either find a way to live for all time, or to become a Liche.

I don't have ADD, as a side note, but the hyper-focus is a problem for me. Pisses my girlfriend off too, when I'm so focused on my story or my art that I don't respond to her lol. Its really bad becauase I do it to video games too, and I don't care how long that japanese/korean/purple-farting guy has been playing Halo 3 or Armored Core 4, I will mop the floor with him and his buddies if I'm in hyper-focus on the game. I get kicked outta more games that way than for foul-language, misbehavior, absuing the other players, etc. Sorry for babbling, I almost got my dad to get my HellGate London, but of course, walmart didn't have it in bloody stock >.<.

Another thing, I'll put up another part either later tonight, or sometime tommorow. For the story I mean, because I'm planning it and considering how to revise the sketches of Rafeal and Mira. I hope to continue writing this and letting you guys read it, thanks for the compliments.

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Experienced Adventurer

I have ADD, but these days most people don't catch onto it nearly as quickly. They figure my pacing is a nervous habit and that I must be worrying about something when I really just pace in order to think the scatterbrained thoughts an ADD person gets (this is how I plan out my stories, and it takes a long time, usually). There's no real difference between 'What did you say? I wasn't listening because my beloved little sister is waiting for a heart transplant and could die any second,' and 'What did you say? I was thinking about...Well, let's just say I was thinking and leave it at that.' until you ask.

And, of course, I usually spend at least a few hours a day in hyper-focus doing something. People say that people with ADD are disadvantaged. That's only true if they try to be good at things they aren't, like sitting through Math class or four-hour long business meetings.

On an unrelated note, I'm also prone to tangents.

This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination.

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Adventurer

Here's the next part, enjoy it. Bit of a timeskip, mostly because I don't think you guys will appreciate Rafeal shopping lol.

Note:
(1)- "Durch die Unholy Schicksale und die Seelen der Toten, bilden Sie diesen Dummkopf, den Ihrem Bediensteten leiden entgegensetzt für, solange Sie Sitz sehen.."
German sentence.
Here's the english, roughly.

"By the Unholy Fates and the Souls of the Dead, make this fool who opposes your servant suffer for as long as you see fit.."

~~~~~~~~
Part3
~~~~~~~~

Rafeal sighed as he hefted the pack onto his back, looking down at Mira, the girl wearing proper travelling clothing, which meant shoes, a pair of pants, and a shirt, considerably better than the white smock she had on before. He reached down, adjusting the greave on his right leg, making it tight against his leg like it was supposed to be. "Lets go then." He said, walking on the road, the child following him closely...

He yawned, running his hand through his short hair, the silver strands spiked of their own accord. 'Its too bad they aren't symmetrical... I'd be lots happier if my hair was symmetrical...' He grumbled mentally, grunting slightly as his right leg stayed put, causing him to look and see the girl clinging to his leg, fear on her face.

He looked up and forward, his gut clenching slightly as he saw the mage he had trapped before standing in front of them, the man playing with a fireball like it was a softball. He tossed it up, the spell igniting in a sphere of pure destruction and flame over the heads of the three. "Give me the child, and I might consider letting you live Necromancer." The man said, opening his hand in a 'give me now' gesture.

Rafeal bit his lip slightly, feeling the girl squeeze his leg tighter, his logcial mind running through the options. He blinked as he looked at the mage's eyes, something he hadn't felt for years beginning to well up in him again. "And, if I give her to you, what will happen?" He asked, his violet eyes beginning to glow slightly, his left hand clenched tightly.

Gyphon chuckled. "Why should I tell a 3rd rate, sorry excuse for a thieving Necromancer like you? You, who rob graves and tomb sites for your 'research', have no right to know why I would sacrifice that child!" The man said, cackling as he started to walk forward, magic whirling in his hands as he started to construct a spell. "Now, give me that girl before I blast you into the endless void!" The mage shouted, the ground cracking from the power in his voice.

Rafeal was taken aback by the vicious tone in the man's voice, aware of Mira shaking in fear and clinging to his leg. He felt it then, like a dam break, as the white hot rage in him let loose. "I think not, you second rate murderer!" Rafeal snarled, snapping his left arm tense, necromantic energy whirling around it, his violet eyes glowing brightly. "We may rob graves and tombs for our 'research', but unlike you fools who think you are gods, we know more ways to deal death than you could ever hope to learn." He snarled, sickly green bolts of necromantic energy crackling along his body. "You should also learn the sites of ancient battles..." He said, the energy around his hand glowing brighter.

Gyphon stepped back, feeling fear, slightly, for the first time in a long time. "You can't kill me boy. You can't be sure this is a battle ground with corpses under it." He shouted, his robes flapping as he gathered energy for a spell of his own. 'But, if there's not a battleground here, why is the spell he's gathering so powerful? Necromancers have no emotions, so that cant be what's powering it, and there's no way he can draw death energy from the Deadlands or the Dreadmarshes, they're too far away.' Gyphon thought to himself, trying to figure out why the spell was getting stronger as he continued to gather energy for his own spell. 'No matter, he can't match my power and experience, no matter what's giving him his power.' He thought to himself, grabbing the spell and leaning back to cast it, his eyes widening in surprise as he looked at Rafeal.

"Durch die Unholy Schicksale und die Seelen der Toten, bilden Sie diesen Dummkopf, den Ihrem Bediensteten leiden entgegensetzt für, solange Sie Sitz sehen.."(1) Rafeal uttered, the harsh language filled with power, the necromantic energy flaring brightly, a bolt of death that would have killed a being of lesser power flying out of Rafeal's fist and slamming into Gyphon, throwing the mage backwards and knocking the man out cold, Rafeal panting heavily as he led himself and Mira down the road until he found a somewhat safe spot to camp, sitting down as he started to catch his breath, several hours after having shot the bolt. "That was a bad move on my part..." He said softly.

"Why? It made that man go away..." Mira said, sitting beside Rafeal, looking up at the still tired Necromancer. "Did it... kill him?" She asked hesitantly, blinking slightly as Rafeal sighed.

"No, it didn't. I know, because I didn't get that momentary rush of power that all users of the branch of magic that draws power from death, decay, and despair get when something dies near them." Rafeal said, looking at her. "Besides... I didn't think I'd survive firing that spell off. If I'd let it get any stronger, I might've been absorbed into the spell when I fired it." He said, shrugging a bit. 'I didn't think that rage could power a Necromantic spell though... I shall have to ask Master about it.' He thought to himself, aware that Mira was tugging on his arm gently. "What?"

"When you said, sites of ancient battles, was their one under us?" She asked him quietly.

"No, I was bluffing to get him to try and flee. Didn't work though.." He said, smiling a bit.

"But, if there wasn't a battle site under us, how did you make that spell so strong then?" She asked him, looking at Rafeal carefully, her blue eyes twinkling slightly.

"I honestly don't know. I will ask my Master when we get to Soulforge though. I'm certain that, even if he can't answer all of my questions, he can at least point me to a section of books that will contain the answers I seek. He might even be able to answer a question for you. He's uncommonly... kind... for a Necromancer Lord, and we'll be safe from that mage while we are at Soulforge Academy." Rafeal said, starting to suspect that the mage was chasing them so much because he was part of a much bigger organization. "We'll continue on it a few hours, long enough for me to rest and let my body recover from the shock of using that much energy." He said to her, a smile crossing his face....

---------
"..-oi.... Hoi... Get up already...." Gyphon grunted, his eyes flickering open at the finger jabbing him in the cheek, stars and nightsky filling his eyes. "Stop... Touching... Me..." He growled, sitting up and rubbing his chest slightly, noticing the small campfire by him. "Tch, you enjoyed watching me get blasted off the road, did you? Could've stopped that idiot necromancer, and we would have that girl." He snarled at the woman, starting to get up before being shoved back down, pain shooting through his body in a red wave of agony.

"Sit down, and shut up. You're lucky he felt a sense of self-preservation, because if he had let that build up any further, you'd would have been turned into mush. As it is, you're lucky he's a bad shot, he only shattered 6 of your ribs.A little further to the right, and he would have crushed your heart from the force behind that spell. At least it wasn't infused with true killing intent or disease, you'd be royally screwed then." She said, shaking her head slightly. "Tch, I was right about you men. You get all upset because someone is better than you, or at least luckier, and you don't bother to plan anything. You wonder why we women are longer lived and larger in number than you men." She said, sighing slightly as she poked at the fire with a stick, stretching herself slightly, the leather suit creaking slightly.

"Well... How far'd he get Rhia?" Gyphon asked, watching the raven haired woman look at him, looking back at her. "I'm serious..." He said, hunger starting to gnaw at his insides.

"Well, at the rate they're going, they'll be within the borders of the Deadlands in a couple of hours, and at Soulforge Academy within 2 days, as of right now. He'll probably stop to rest again once in the borders of the Deadlands though. He's a quirky Necromancer though, he was actually very pissed off at you. I was 50 feet from you two, and I could feel all the rage boiling in him, but I'm not sure what powered his spell up like that. But, enough of that." She said, grabbing a piece of dried meat and putting it in front of Gyphon's mouth. "Eat, now." She commanded, the man's eye twitching before he chomped into the meat, eating it slowly. "Look, this kid is not going to just give her up in fear of your power. You'll either have to assault him at Soulforge, or kill him while he's on his way. I guess you get to attack a college for Necromancers, because if you try and teleport right now, you're going to break your ribs in the most interesting fashion." She said, shrugging a bit. "Teleport if you want, but if you die, I'm not going to ask the priest to bring you back to life." She added, smirking slightly as Gyphon snorted and the man laid back down. "Relax, you'll get 'em both. And I'll get my immortality." She said, rocking on her heels as she watched the stars....

~~~~~~~~~~
End Part3
~~~~~~~~~~

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Last edited by Rafeal; 07-10-2008 at 11:25 PM.