Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Adventurer

Default Feathers Mightier than Swords

This is my first go at a story, this one is centered on my Sky Guard Taerick Farsight. I apologize preemptively on any mistakes I make as I am new to Dragon Tavern.

The sunrise always looked more beautiful from up here, the air is crisper, and the colors more vivid as they reflected off of the tops of these clouds and the bottoms of those. It was calm up here, nothing disturbed the quiet except for the noises of his mounts wings beating lazily through the air. Peaceful.
The clear, ringing note of an Alliance warhorn broke through it all at once, the peaceful quiet shattered as Taerick spun his mount down and left into a dive toward the distant ground and the battle that churned desperately over Terra's surface. He held his spear in a loose right handed grip and leaned over his griffon's neck to prevent being blown out of the saddle, harness or no. The land came up quickly, Taerick pulled back on the reins at the last possible moment, bringing his mount into a speeding charge just feet above the dirt of the battleplain, he sighted in on the lead of the enemies cavalry charge.
"Heh, common horses. Not a chance, right Sunbolt?" He whispered softly into his mounts neck before sitting up in a crouch as he closed on his target, tucking the spear tighter against his body before he thrust it at the side of the cavaliers chest. The point barely wavered before piercing his armor where it was weak in the area around the armpit. The force of the blow pushed the knight off his horse, whose life was not much longer lasting as Sunbolt's front claws shoved into the side of the horse, bowling it over and shoving off back into the sky, wings clawing for air so they could come around for another attack on another knight.
The battle was a short one, barely worth calling a skirmish. An Imperial scout company had caught up to a caravan that the Alliance had thought important enough that Sky Guards and War Masters alike should guard it. In the aftermath the Imperial scouts had decided to withdraw, the Alliance forces let them go, no use killing them all if open war hadn't been declared. Taerick landed Sunbolt and fed him while he talked with the commander of the War Master's about the battle, then took Sunbolt back up into the peaceful morning sky.
<End>

Any comments or corrections will be appreciated, I am out of time for right now so the last part may be a bit rushed. Thank you all for taking the time to read.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Experienced Adventurer

This is good. It did seem rushed at the end, you'd probably be better served to just cut it off as soon as the battle ends if you don't think you can give the aftermath the attention it needs. Also, you never mention where exactly this takes place, which makes it seem like a vignette that's not meant to be followed up on at all. I'm not sure whether or not you plan to continue this as a story, though, so maybe that's what you were going for.

This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination.

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Adventurer

Pretty much, I just wanted to do a test with this, I haven't written so much as a limerick in about 8 years so I need to practice before I start anything larger than a vignette.