Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Jibba Jabba

Old 05-15-2011, 05:02 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Default Kindle!

Well, however irrelevant this might seem, it is a big deal to me. My wife and I just scored our 10th anniversary and she gave me a Kindle e-book reader as a present. Being a guy who really loves reading, I can't find words to describe my ecstasy (especially since there are many books I'd love to read but that won't make it here, and I'm not really fond of buying books online). It may sound like a small thing, but down here (in South America) the exchange rate makes it quite difficult to buy new gadgets (prices become quite steep when you want to import that sort of thing), so extra credit for her, really.

That's all. I'm very happy about this, and I needed to get it out of my system.

The Main Gang: Deurges - Mieki - Paeruh - Nippur
The Black Brothers: Thaurus - Ender
Old 05-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Good stuff - enjoy the reading! I've always been a bit 'meh' about e-readers, mainly because I like books so much, but I can see why it would mean a lot more in places where you can't buy books so easily.

And congratulations on the anniversary.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Well, of course, I will keep buying books, but it is amazing to have this toy as an alternative when I can't get the books I want. But I can tell you, the reading experience is rather quite similar to that of reading an actual book. The other day I was reading Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear (a book I can't dream to get here, at least for quite a while). I was holding the kindle reader with one hand and a cup of coffee with the other. Since the cup was a bit too full, I made a sudden move and got my hand wet with coffee. The first thing I thought was "damn, I'm going to get the pages wet-oh wait, no".
It was late at night and my wife was already sleeping, so I had to fight quite hard the urge to laugh out loud at myself...

Old 05-28-2011, 02:53 AM
Dragon Tavern Overseer

Congrats on the Kindle!

I absolutely love my Kindle, and have vastly increased the number of books I read a year with it. I've also installed the Kindle software on my phone and my PCs, which lets you read your books on multiple devices. Amazon will sync where you're up to, so you can seamlessly move from device to device.

The only danger is that book buying becomes much more of an impulse purchase, since you can find a book that looks interesting, buy it, and start reading immediately. This can be (ahem) dangerous for a budget.

- DM

Old 05-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Got an ipod for this.
It Doesn't last as long battery wise, but itll open and show my collection of over 30.000+ books just fine :P
Old 05-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Experienced Adventurer

But isn't reading on an Ipod bad for your eyes?

About the budget 'problem', it's not that different from the actual budget problem I've been having regarding printed books: I'm always reading some book, so I'm always on the lookout for new things to read (ergo, to buy). Now I've bought (for my Kindle) the bundle for Song of Ice and Fire for $19.99. If I were to buy those books here (in Argentina), I would end up paying almost that amount (or more, due to the exchange rate) for each book. The way I see it, I even got to save money, for now I have four books to read before I need to buy something else.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Dragon Tavern Overseer

That's a lot of books bbr.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:35 PM
The Anti-Spam Fairy

Send a message via MSN to QTChi

Hmm... usually I just read books from my tablet. I've got Android, iPad and Window based tablets - so it's widely compatible with just about anything out there. The good thing about tablets is the ability to download all these free books from the world wide web

~ Qtchi's Profile ~
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Experienced Adventurer

I wasnt suprised when someone mentioned George RR Martin. You can also get his books in audio format from Audible.com or audible.co.uk but you can get a vast selection of ebooks illegally, I wont say where or how though, but use at your own risk.

I am currently reading the paperback of Sword of Shannara vol 1 by Terry Brooks. Its goooooood.

I also recommend a book called "The elfish gene" as its a book about a kid growing up (in the uk) playing pen and paper roleplay games. Its very funny and clever. I listened to the Audio version, but i would have thought the written version is just as good.

Last edited by StarDebut; 09-07-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDebut View Post
I wasnt suprised when someone mentioned George RR Martin. You can also get his books in audio format from Audible.com or audible.co.uk but you can get a vast selection of ebooks illegally, I wont say where or how though, but use at your own risk.

I am currently reading the paperback of Sword of Shannara vol 1 by Terry Brooks. Its goooooood.

I also recommend a book called "The elfish gene" as its a book about a kid growing up (in the uk) playing pen and paper roleplay games. Its very funny and clever. I listened to the Audio version, but i would have thought the written version is just as good.
Yeah, I know there's a lot of piracy involved in e-books, but that's not the reason I wanted one, really. I do have to be careful, though. Just yesterday, I was looking for a book about toki pona (an artificial language) and ended up buying a whole book on artificial languages (regarding klingon, elvish and other constructed languages). It was just $11 or so, but since you pay with the credit card, losing track of your own expenses can be very easy. If I don't refrain, I may throw away the salary of the month in books.

About audiobooks, I once tried "reading" a short story one.. but to no avail. I get distracted too easily. If I am reading myself, even if I read aloud, I get more involved in the story.