Dragon Tavern Forums
 

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > Rookie Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Wrath Child Wrath Child is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Default Skills Points

What would you guys suggests me putting them into? Was getting +5 injury and +1 loot capacity a good idea?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Tarm Tarm is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 44
Default

Depends on how you play.
For example me I hate suddenly hitting a significantly more difficult fight so I spend all my skill points on Refinement and Counter skills. I add them to the skill that have the lowest percentage to keep them even. That way I rarely have to go back to the tavern because my character went from healthy to almost dead, or dead in a single fight.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-24-2011, 05:13 PM
WoDHells's Avatar
WoDHells WoDHells is offline
Experienced Adventurer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 142
Default

But doesn't the +injury help in that regard as well? If you have more hp, don't you last longer as well?
__________________

The Main Gang: Deurges - Mieki - Paeruh - Nippur
The Black Brothers: Thaurus - Ender
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Tarm Tarm is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 44
Default

Yes but imho not as much. Getting a difficult fight quickly eats up 5 hp.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2011, 01:41 AM
Dusk Raven Dusk Raven is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 52
Default

Well, I decide my skill points based on roleplaying - ie. what I have in mind for each character. Quite a few of my characters have 5 points in the extra wounds skill, but a few don't - Ravenedge has 4, Erich Zann has 2, and Dusken Shadow has none at all. Of course, the last of those listed has a lot of skills in the various counter skills but I'm not sure how much it evens out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Kiljaeden Kiljaeden is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 41
Default

You'll find out quickly that not putting points into success-chance-based skills will get your character almost unplayable very quickly. Success chance is the most important thing to increase, without fail. As was said above, those 5 extra wounds will get eaten up very fast against a tough monster that you don't have the skills to counter properly.

This is what I usually do: I boost all of the refinement skills (1% boost to all fights each, total of 4%), and I boost the four counter skills that I'm weakest against to max (ends up being a total of a +6% bonus to each of those four TOAD types). I then boost the other counter skills so that I end up having roughly the same bonus to the rest of the TOAD types. I could boost those other skills further, but I like having it where every fight I have pretty much the same skill boost with little variation, so that I know exactly how strong I am overall against everything that could hit me. I could raise those other counter skills higher, but that has a risk of me being suddenly surprised by something that I'm weaker against compared to the rest of the monsters. It ends up being +5% to each TOAD style I am dead even with and strongest to, and +6% to each style that I'm weakest against. That gives at most a 4% variability in my success chance, instead of something like 20% which would definitely give me a sense of false confidence.

Once I have those, I put a point each into the trap counters to double my chance of avoiding those. Those AP drain traps are NASTY.

Beyond that, go nuts. The rest of the skills are really purely flavoring, based on what you want to do. Of course, you don't HAVE to actually do any of this, but I very, very rarely die and this is the strategy that I use.

Last edited by Kiljaeden; 05-03-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Salvidrim's Avatar
Salvidrim Salvidrim is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8
Send a message via MSN to Salvidrim Send a message via Skype™ to Salvidrim
Default

Personally I went with flavor also. I have a War Master "Tank", with % skills against attack types, organization, and +Wounds. I have an Elf Archer who's a bit of an arrogant perfectionist, really, so +% and nothing else. Then I have the sneaky, greedy Infiltrator with all the loot & gold skills, logistics, but nothing (yet) in +% or +Wounds... he's all kind of squishy and doesn't fight for very long. On the upside, he nearly always has equipment advantage due to being filthy rich!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM
DarkGwyddion's Avatar
DarkGwyddion DarkGwyddion is offline
Experienced Adventurer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 488
Default

I find that how I do my skill points has changed as I remort more and more. I always start with Haggler 3 (or whatever it is that lowers the price of equipment), but I've tried a few other strategies. These are just my opinion and how they related to my play style.

Max Traps (as in 75% chance to dodge): Not as useful as it might seem. AP traps are nasty, but that extra 25% dodge chance doesn't really do much. Yes, she did dodge traps more, but I didn't find the traps often enough to make it worthwhile over direct increase to SC or money.

Money Skills: They can be useful, but... my merchant-theif-mage (my Black Seer) did struggle at points, especially in the Elite areas. Early on, she was fine, but in the elite areas she began to struggle to keep her equipment well above the monsters.

Wounds/Encumbrance: These are tricky. I bought max wounds for my HC almost immediately - they helped her survival in the early levels a lot. For most of my others, I'd been ignoring them. However, I began to notice that especially with Ienzo, I was returning to the tavern more often because of max encumbrence rather than because of wounds. My advice on these is to watch how your battles are going and how often you are returning to the tavern. If you are more often returning because of high Encumbrence, it's probably a good idea to invest in these skills. (Wounds vs SC: I find that Wounds are more useful early on, but SC becomes more important later. That being said - if you're returning because of wound issues, I'd invest in the SC skills first).

Advantages and Immortal Powers can change things, so it's probably a good idea to watch how your battles go at varying stages and reevaluate as necessary.
__________________
Proud supporter of the Steel Empire.

Chosen (unwillingly)
Acended One
Abyssal
Celestial
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 PM
KniteFlux KniteFlux is offline
Adventurer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGwyddion View Post
I find that how I do my skill points has changed as I remort more and more. I always start with Haggler 3 (or whatever it is that lowers the price of equipment), but I've tried a few other strategies. These are just my opinion and how they related to my play style.

Max Traps (as in 75% chance to dodge): Not as useful as it might seem. AP traps are nasty, but that extra 25% dodge chance doesn't really do much. Yes, she did dodge traps more, but I didn't find the traps often enough to make it worthwhile over direct increase to SC or money.

Money Skills: They can be useful, but... my merchant-theif-mage (my Black Seer) did struggle at points, especially in the Elite areas. Early on, she was fine, but in the elite areas she began to struggle to keep her equipment well above the monsters.

Wounds/Encumbrance: These are tricky. I bought max wounds for my HC almost immediately - they helped her survival in the early levels a lot. For most of my others, I'd been ignoring them. However, I began to notice that especially with Ienzo, I was returning to the tavern more often because of max encumbrence rather than because of wounds. My advice on these is to watch how your battles are going and how often you are returning to the tavern. If you are more often returning because of high Encumbrence, it's probably a good idea to invest in these skills. (Wounds vs SC: I find that Wounds are more useful early on, but SC becomes more important later. That being said - if you're returning because of wound issues, I'd invest in the SC skills first).

Advantages and Immortal Powers can change things, so it's probably a good idea to watch how your battles go at varying stages and reevaluate as necessary.
This is some great advice. I strongly second that depending where you are at in your immortal remorts will strongly change where you spend your skill points. Overall, I would recommend trying to maximize your SC - whether by SC boosting skills or merchant skills to purchase better equipment.

One truth that I've found, regardless of play style, is that getting reduced price on gear is great for any style of character. I try to max this skill before buying my first gear. In remort where I have not done this, I've found my gear suffering heavily by the times I hit level 40+.

An example of how I've changed my skills is the points I put into trap skills. Before I became an immortal I had these skills maxed. Losing money (via items) and AP was hurting me very badly. By rank two, I started spending only one skill in each of the trap skills. When I picked up the Precognition power, I stopped spending any points into traps at all. It was amazing how this one power changed the spending of my skill points, and in such a way that it let me focus more on SC in combat.

One of the nicest aspects of remorting is that you can come up with a new strategy, give it a try with a fresh remort, and compare it to how well you did previously. Then on your next remort, you can try something new all over again. The only advice I can really share is that there are differences in how you spend your skill points if you plan on remorting at 55 each time or if you plan on trying to level higher. Some skills tend to have more immediate returns but diminish over levels, while other skills have low initial return but improve over time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Style by: vbskinpixel.com