Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 07-01-2008, 05:51 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Witch Hunter, part 5 of 5

Ajendra Witch Hunter Cabal

"Scared, Kitsune?" Norik asked. He was one of the bigger boys, and one of the best at unarmed combat. He was also one of the five or so kids who'd never forgotten Kari's accusations when the rest of the Cabal did.

"Not really," Kitsune responded evenly, "I don't have to beat you, just put up a good fight." What Kitsune said about putting up a good fight was true. If only the winners graduated, the Empire would only have half as many Inquisitors. Technically she hadn't lied about being scared either. She was scared, a little bit. But mostly she was eager to give this oaf a beating, even if she was going to get beaten too, and probably beaten harder.

She wasn't like Kunoichi. She didn't ever get in fist fights over insults. Usually she didn't even retort. It made her angry, she didn't like people telling lies about her, especially when there wasn't any real reason for it. Norik, Kari, and the others weren't any better off because her life was harder. But she never lost control. No matter how much she ever wanted to slap Kari, or maybe just throttle her, she never did.

But now she was allowed to beat the living tar out of her enemies, or at least one of them.

"Ready?" the judge of the match asked. The goal was just to demonstrate competence, but the winner of the match would be either the first one to land three kicks on the enemies chest or just push them out of the arena. Punches and kicks were supposed to be restrained to avoid doing any real damage, but Norik wasn't going to be pulling his punches and Kitsune planned to return the favor. She still wasn't as strong as most of the others, but a years worth of pent up anger had to count for something.

"Fight!" Kitsune ducked under the roundhouse kick aimed at her face and swept Norik off his feet, then threw a kick at him as he lay there on the ground. He blocked it and jumped to his feet, backing away from Kitsune hastily. He glared at her, circling a bit, Kitsune mirroring his every move, before he moved in to attack. Kitsune wasn't entirely sure what happened next, it was a few seconds of blinding kicks and punches in which her reflexes did all the work and she could barely keep up. She felt a rush of pain in the center of her face and then another in her stomach, and her body registered a few seconds later that she'd been jabbed in the nose, which was bleeding now, and then kicked in the stomach. The first flag went to Norik.

"Ready?" the judge asked as Kitsune and Norik resumed their battle stances. "Fight!" The two went at each other again, almost immediately. Kitsune didn't want to let Norik get close enough to hit, so this time she started sending snap-kicks at him as soon as he got close. They were too fast for him to grab any of them, and after a few seconds one of them landed on his chest, knocking him back a little. That tied everything up. Norik should've backed away when Kitsune had started kicking at him, and she knew he wasn't likely to make that mistake again. She wished he was as stupid as he looked.

"Ready?" the judge asked again. "Fight!" Norik kept his distance this time. Kitsune knew you should never make the first move in a fight...But somebody had to. So far, Norik had been impatient enough to make that mistake, but now he was just circling. Kitsune would have to start this bout.

She feinted a kick to his leg, which wouldn't count for points but which would hurt, badly, and probably drop him to his knee. He made to block it and Kitsune turned the kick from a side kick to an ax kick, bringing her heel down on top of his head. Even bare, it stunned him. Kitsune hoped he blacked out. Then she would win by default.

He recovered, standing up. No such luck. He looked angry, too. Kitsune dropped into a defensive stance as the judge said "Ready?" once more. "Fight!" Norik attacked, savagely this time. Kitsune was caught off guard by the speed of his attacks and especially by the fact that he mostly seemed to be throwing punches. Kitsune thought to kick him quickly while he was still trying to punch her, but a split-second before she could act on the thought, one of his blows landed. Kitsune was floored by it. She rolled onto her feet just in time to dodge an ax-kick from him. She stood up and, panicking, sent a roundhouse at him. He ducked under and side-kicked her before she could recover balance, flooring her again. She should've used a snap-kick or a side-kick, not something as unwieldly as the roundhouse.

It was even now. Kitsune's arms were sore from blocking all of Norik's savage punches, which blurred the line between a hook punch and haymakers. He wasn't fighting with much finnesse. If she'd taken advantage of that immediately instead of waiting for him to knock her to the ground, this would be over by now. Better yet, she would've won three to one.

"Ready?" the judge asked. Kitsune hadn't really expected to do this well. Norik was normally much better than her. Maybe his desire to hurt her was getting in the way. "Fight!" the judge said. Norik stepped towards her and tried to jump-kick her. Kitsune ducked under it and pushed him over as he came down. He went down to the ground sprawling, but recovered in time to grab Kitsune's snap-kick. He shoved her foot away, throwing Kitsune off balance, and then launched a roundhouse kick at her face. Kitsune made to block it, but he redirected it to her stomach at the last second. Kitsune grabbed it and, using his momentum against him, spun him off his feet...And out of the circle.

"Bout!" the judge called. Kitsune smiled smugly at Norik.

"You've got something right there," Norik said, gesturing to his own face just beneath his nostrils. Kitsune's nose was still bleeding, but she'd passed her Unarmed examination. Kitsune just kept smiling at Norik. He was furious but here, in front of a dozen judges and hours away from graduation, would be a bad time to be expelled for poor impulse control.

"Hey! I hope he's still feeling that ax-kick!" Kunoichi said to Kitsune as she walked back to the group of students watching the matches. Kunoichi had lost to Kari in a ring out in the very first bout with a poorly aimed jump-kick. Jump-kicks didn't work very often.

"I'm just glad I've got a gauranteed pass," Kitsune said. It was mostly true.

"Are you alright?" Nathans voice asked from behind her.

"Yeah," she said, smiling. "At least I won."

"No kidding," Nathan said, also smiling.

The judge said from the ring "Nathan and Benvel, in ring, Luris and Aerik, on deck."

"Good luck," Kitsune said.

"Thanks," Nathan said, heading into the ring. Kitsune had won. This was the last examination, and though she hadn't won all of her bouts (and some of the examinations were written tests, not a simple win-lose), she was sure she'd pass. She was trying hard not to think about what Mason was going to have her do next, trying mostly to think about finding a way to free her family. At least they'd all be safe for a little bit longer.

-------------

I must admit, I didn't think I'd be at all good at writing a romance. Let's see how this fight scene goes. Given my tastes in movies, it will be rather ironic if this one isn't as good as Nathan and Kitsune's "balcony scene."

Last edited by Ashen; 07-01-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:34 AM
Experienced Adventurer

I've been writing up the unofficial mythos/history of the Dragon Tavern world, and I want to know, can anyone give me a full list of the DT teams names/web aliases? I'd like to use shove them into the mythos in a few places.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Adventurer

Thumbs up

Love the story keep it up.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Ashen, your writing skills are amazing. The time skip had me confused for a moment, but I figured it out after a bit.

Nathan pwns. ^^ <3 I love characters like that. Nicely done! I'd recommend that you include something about the time skip and stuff like that.

I've gotta post mine, but FIreFox screwed up and I lost what I'd written...including the outline... x.x
Ryoku Level 6 Warmaster

"This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination."

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Helping Ashen's plot to destroy those damned bunnies and their plot to take the world over.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Alright, I'm just posting to say there is a reason why I'm not writing much right now, and that reason is that my family has decided to have every possible special occasion imaginable (weddings, birthdays, reunions, etc.) in the same two week time period. It'll be over by this week, and then I'll try to catch up with the chapter-per-day schedule I'd planned when I started this thing.

Bloody family...
Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-san View Post
Ashen, your writing skills are amazing. The time skip had me confused for a moment, but I figured it out after a bit.

Nathan pwns. ^^ <3 I love characters like that. Nicely done! I'd recommend that you include something about the time skip and stuff like that.

I've gotta post mine, but FIreFox screwed up and I lost what I'd written...including the outline... x.x
Did you upgrade to Firefox 3 yet? I was previously having issues until I downloaded the new version.

Ashen awesome stuff! I wish I had more time to read your previous writings.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Adventurer

Send a message via MSN to Belkaim

Just read through your stories and I like them a lot keep them going *thumbs up*
Old 07-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Adventurer

This reminds me of a lot of the stufff my sister reads.

Anyway, if you want a bit of a comic relief character:

http://www.dragontavern.com/champion...uas-icemender/
http://forums.dragontavern.com/showthread.php?t=143

R.I.P. Captain Penguin, my first Hardcore character.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Experienced Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Did you upgrade to Firefox 3 yet? I was previously having issues until I downloaded the new version.
No. I still have FF2. I'll happily download the new version... But I think it was because I had 27+ tabs open and it couldn't handle loading that many tabs (it's bookmarks -.-).

But it's annoying, 'cos I had nearly the first chapter done. I take a while to finish my writing. I need to start typing out-of-browser in OpenOffice.

Ashen: No worries, buddy. I had to go to Michigan a couple weeks ago for my cousins' grandfather's (on the other side of their family) funeral. I met him once. ONCE. I mean, I'm sorry for them for their loss and all, and I mourn him, but I didn't know him...fortunately, the food was worth it. XD It sounds kinda callous, but it's true -- they make some good food up there! Good luck with that, though, 'cos that's a lot of traveling...
Ryoku Level 6 Warmaster

"This is a sworded bunny. For every sworded bunny in the world, one regular bunny is defeated. If we get enough sworded bunnies on the internet, we can stop bunnies insidious plot for world domination."

- (\__/)
- (='.'=)==l--
- (")_(")

SWORDED!

Helping Ashen's plot to destroy those damned bunnies and their plot to take the world over.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Adventurer

Default sweet

man,this ROCKS dragon tavern should email the weekly best stories to ever one.
this makes my story look like carp. (well, not like crap but it makes mine look quickly written)

bring on the wizard rune snaps...