Dragon Tavern Forums

Go Back   Dragon Tavern Forums > Common Room > The Bards Table

Old 10-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Default Telathos: A City Besieged [Main Thread]

Over the canopy of the southeastern forests of the Mountain Kingdoms, five great birds, the largest with a wingspan of perhaps twenty-five feet, flew in a loose v-formation. If a person had sharp eyes, they may have been able to spot the humanoid passengers that each bird carried. The small flock was flying eastward, with the sun at their backs, and slowly but surely lowering in altitude. It was as the sun set that the bird on the far right gave a loud cry and broke formation.

The bird descended rapidly to a clearing among the trees, and the person on it's back jumped to the ground. The person cut an intimidating figure: tall and broad-chested, and wearing the complicated gear of a Sky Guard, including a protective mask over his face. Were it not for the red hair sticking out above the mask, the person could easily have been mistaken for a small golem.

As the Sky Guard quickly and efficiently removed the saddle from his bird, unhooking latches and pulling away straps, the other four birds descended into the clearing around him. From these four birds, four more of the Sky Guards leapt. While three of them began to dutifully care for their birds as the first did, the rider of the largest bird just looked up at the saddle of her beast. There, still on the saddle, was a rather queasy-looking man wearing a gray cloak.

“Well, Siernan, are going to be coming down from there, or am I going to have to explain to Celeste that she's going to have a human camped on her back for the night,” asked the bird's rider in a feminine voice.

The man in gray, Siernan, glared down at the rider, a woman of average height with an athletic build. As she took off her mask, he fixed his gaze upon hers and said, “I don't understand how you Sky Guards can possibly enjoy this. You spend all day, every day, a moment away from plummeting out of the sky to your death, and you treat it like it's the most natural thing in the world. I can only conclude that you must be insane, Leah.”

The woman, Leah, rolled her eyes as she snarkily replied, “Oh, yes, Mr. I Can Call the Dead Back from the Grave, my profession is unnatural.”

“Leah, I've explained this to you a thousand times, I don't call the dead back, I just bind lingering spirits into living remains. It's really a big difference.”

“How do you explain me, then? I'm pretty damn sure that I was pretty damn dead, and you come along and defy just about every natural law I know and bring me back.”

“I've explained that, too. You'd only been dead for a few minutes, and your spirit hadn't gone past the Gate yet. And as long as a spirit is not connected to a living form or past the Gate, I can put them into living remains. The fact that you'd only been dead a few moments meant your body hadn't decayed, and since the healer came with me, he got you up and running again.”

“Well, I still say you're unnatural,” said Leah, but with a wink and a grin that took the bite out of the words. “Anyway, get the hell off of Celeste. I need to get the saddle off of her so that she can go and find food and a place to roost for the night.”

Siernan, looking less green and more stable, jumped down from Celeste, hit the ground hard, and fell to his knees, causing Leah to laugh heartily. Grumbling quietly, Siernan stood, adopted a business-like demeanor, and walked to the edge of the clearing. He inspected the tree-line closely, and then began to walk along it, intending to inspect the entire perimeter.

If either Siernan or Leah had been paying attention to the other riders, they might have seen the look of disgust that was on the face of the red-haired rider during the exchange, one which continued following Siernan as he circled the perimeter of the clearing. It was only when Siernan turned to look at the five Sky Guards that the man turned and the expression left his face.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 AM
Experienced Adventurer

After completing his inspection of the edge of the trees, Siernan returned to the center of the clearing, and called for the Sky Guards. They each sauntered over from their mounts, now devoid of saddles, and stood around him. One of the great birds launched itself from the ground, speeding off into the distance.

“Alright, you lot,” said Siernan, “this place has what I need, and seems safe enough. We'll be camping here for the night, got it?”

“Yes, oh Great and Mighty lieutenant!” came Leah's reply. With that, she walked back to Celeste to prepare to send the bird off, and the three other's whose mounts were still on the ground followed suit.

After glowering for a moment at her back, Siernan called out, “Honestly, Leah, must you always mock my orders?” The aggrieved question only caused her to laugh. Throwing up his hands in defeat, Siernan turned away from her to the red-haired Sky Guard who still stood near him, a somber expression on his face once again.

Siernan, looking intently at the large man, asked, “Thormaine, we've been traveling for nearly a week now. How much farther must we go before we reach this Dragon Tavern? I do not wish to stay long away from Telathos, particularly not with five of you sky riders. You know how important every soldier is to the defense forces.”

Thormaine reached into a pack that was strapped onto his back and pulled out a long tube. He unscrewed the top of the tube, removed it, and pulled a long, rolled-up scroll from inside of it. He kneeled to the ground, unfurling the scroll as he went, and placed it upon grass. While examining the map, he said, “Well, if our maps this far south are correct, we should be able to get there tomorrow. The place appears to be another two hundred and fifty miles southeast. If we leave at dawn, we should make it there by midday.”

“Good,” Siernan replied, “ Finally, we'll be able to see if this expedition was worth it.”

“We can only hope that it will be so, sir.”

“Indeed. Well, I'm going to go about securing the perimeter. You go and organize the watch schedule with the others.” With that order, Thormaine moved over to where the others were beginning to lay out bed rolls and pitch tents, and Siernan began walking to the edge of the trees.

When he came to the first tree, he reached into his cloak with his left hand and pulled out a small, dark red gem. With the gem held between his middle and index fingers, he began to move it in a seemingly erratic pattern in the air. After a moment of these movements, he slowing began a chant under his breath. His voice, normally a rich baritone, become much deeper, almost unnaturally so. The gem in his fingers began to glow, an unearthly, blood-colored light. As the glow began to deepen, the light began to linger in the air, and then fall towards the earth. When the first bit of light touched the ground, the red glow began to pulse, first slowly, then more and more quickly. Siernan's chanting slowly became more urgent, until suddenly he let the gem fall from his fingers to his palm, closing his hand swiftly into a fist. He turned his hand so that his covered palm faced the ground, and then opened his fingers. From his grasp fell not a gem, but a fine dust, which floated gently until it settled among the dirt. With that, Siernan's shoulders sagged, and he took a few small steps backwards.

For a moment, it seemed as if nothing had happened, and that all that had resulted from the ritual was a gem turned to dust. Suddenly, however, the earth where the dust had settled began to shift, slightly at first, and then more and more. The ground roiled until finally something rose from beneath it. Out of the ground poked a skeletal hand, as if from a human that had been haphazardly buried and left to decompose in the open.

Not happy with just a hand released from the ground, the earth continued to be pushed upwards, and as the dirt cleared away, more and more of skeleton was revealed. First a forearm, then a misshapen elbow, and then, even more gruesomely, an only partly decomposed bicep. As more of the corpse pushed from beneath the surface, it became more apparent that the body was likely recently buried: only the extremities were exposed to the bone. The rest of the corpse had a covering of rotting flesh which was crawling with worms, maggots, and other insects.

After another moment, the body was completely unearthed, and the dead body stood before Siernan. It was tall and wide; even more so than Thormaine. It was clear from the slightly hunched posture, sloped forehead, and the small tusks jutting from the jaw that the corpse had once been an orc, and a large one. Siernan stepped up to the body, and in the same unnatural voice that he had used to raise the ghoul, he commanded, “You shall guard this position.”

The living corpse at first did nothing, simply staring at Siernan blankly, but then slowly turned around, and began to walk underneath the cover of the trees. Siernan watched for a moment, but then stepped backwards and turned back to the camp. He saw the stares of the all of the Sky Guards save Leah, who was busying herself setting a circle of rocks for a fire. The four soldiers held their gazes for a few seconds before going back to work themselves.

Siernan stood there, watching them, for several moments before turning back to the trees and walking along them for several yards before stopping again, facing the forest, and pulling out another gem from his cloak.

Siernan spent the next hour repeating his sorcerous ritual six more times. By dusk, their campsite was being patrolled by seven undead beasts under Siernan's control. After the final one was created and had walked into the woods, Siernan staggered over to the tent that Leah had set up for him, opened the flap before ducking in, fell onto his bed roll, and slept.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 AM
Experienced Adventurer

When Siernan open his eyes, it was very dark in his tent, and he could hear nothing around him but the sound of crickets. He sat up in his on his bed roll, his arms behind him against the grass, supporting the weight of his torso. He leaned forward over his knees, moving his right hand up to his face to rub his eyes, and coughed once.

Siernan quickly crawled out of his tent, and when he was out beneath the star-specked sky, stretched, raising his arms above his head and arching his back. He glanced around the campsite, seeing only the tents of the Sky Guards, the embers that were all that remained of that night's fire, and the silhouette of the rider who was on watch duty. Walking over to the ring of stones surrounding the charred wood, Siernan sat down and looked at the sky. He had always enjoyed the stars.

The stars were quite bright that night, bright enough for Siernan to easily be able to identify some of his favorite constellations, even if they were in a different position in the sky than he was used to. He sat there, staring at the sky, for several moments. He had just found one of his favorite constellations when, suddenly, the stars that formed them winked out. Just as suddenly, they reappeared, making Siernan think that he had, perhaps, imagined it. When it occurred again, almost ten seconds later, he brought his hands to his eyes, rubbed them vigorously, and then looked again. This time, the stars stayed in their place.

For a moment, Siernan pondered what could have happened, when an answer became apparent. There came a sound of giant wings flapping, and at the edge of the clearing, a giant bird landed on the ground. The rider, still but a dark figure in the darkness to Siernan, walked over to the bird, which lowered its beak to be rubbed by the rider. Having an explanation for the disappearing stars, and suddenly tired once again, Siernan returned to his tent and went back to sleep.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:09 AM
Experienced Adventurer

When morning came, camp was quickly broken, gear and camping supplies were packed, saddles were placed on the great birds, everything was loaded up, the riders mounted their respective beasts, and the expedition was off.

They traveled east and south for several hours, the sun rising above them as they flew. Siernan once again flew with Leah on Celeste, who led the small flock, and after several hours of flying, once again looked quite sick. It was when the sun had nearly reached its apex that the birds once again found a clearing in the woods and landed. The riders one again unsaddled their mounts and set camp with a great efficiency.

Siernan immediately set out to find the materials necessary for his dark sorcery. He was surprised to detect that the ground beneath them was nearly swimming in dead material. He would have no trouble finding corpses to build a contingent with. After identifying the corpses beneath him with the most complete bone structure and left over musculature, he then began focused his mystical senses on finding suitable spirits to bind into the bodies. What he felt shocked him. The air was a veritable sea of the spirits that had yet to flee beyond the Gate. For a moment, he was nearly overwhelmed by the volume of the dead that battered against his senses.

Given a moment, however, Siernan quickly regained control, and took out a gem to begin his ritual. With such an ample supply of the spirits he needed, he manged to bind them all into each of the eight bodies he had chosen with one ritual, though it did take even more effort than normal. It was a good trade off, though. Not having to perform the ritual several times left him with more energy in the long run.

Around the camp, the ground once again sifted, and soon there were eight zombies standing amongst the living. They were more complete than the ones he had used the night before, and they had among them representatives from races other than the orcs. Three were human, two had the slimmer bones of the elven races, two were indeed orcish, and one was short and wide, clearly from a deceased dwarf.

Looking at his gruesome creations with a small bit of pride, Siernan called out to the riders, “Come, they'll need to be armed if they're to be effective against any experienced adventurer that might get it into his or her head to attack us rather than help!”

Two of the riders took from a large burlap pack several short blades, walked over to the standing corpses, and, with a little trepidation, gave them the weapons. The zombies took the weapons, and then turned to Siernan, seeking instruction. He looked at them and said, “You will follow me and heed any command that I give you.”

With that, he turned away from the corpses to address the riders. “Alright, here's how we're going to handle this. The Dragon Tavern should be another half-mile to the east of our current position. In a moment, we will start heading there. When we reach the edge of the woods, Leah, Thormaine, and I will continue to the Tavern itself.”

Turning to address the other three Sky Guards, he continued, “You three will remain at that position with my undead, you hidden in the trees, they on the ground. When we reach the Tavern, I'll make Breman's offer to those inside, quite publicly, and then we'll return. If we are attacked while we are in the tavern, we will retreat to the woods and ambush our attackers. Everyone got it?”

At this, everyone nodded, though Leah added a flippant salute. Siernan merely rolled his eyes at her antics, and turned towards the east and began to walk. Over his shoulder, he called, “Let's go!”

They walked for about ten minutes before they reached the edge of the woods. Siernan told the riders who remaining to find good spots among the trees, and then ordered his undead to hide themselves as best they could. After they were all in position, Siernan, Thormaine, and Leah marched out into the open.

Siernan was struck by what he saw. Here, surrounding this place called the Dragon Tavern, were signs of civilization that he had not seen since his childhood. Children playing in the streets, men and women working diligently in front of their homes or shops, merchants shouting out deals to passersby in broad daylight; all of these were things that he had almost forgotten. He stood for a moment, awestruck, before shaking his head slightly and continuing onward.

It took the three only another moment before they found themselves in front of a large, three story building with a large sign depicting a dragon hanging over it's doorway. When a woman wielding an exquisitely crafted bow came out of that door, looking slightly drunk, it only affirmed their suspicions. They had finally arrived at the place they had spent days traveling to get to.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:09 AM
Experienced Adventurer

The first thing that Siernan noticed when he stepped through the door of the Dragon Tavern was that the rumors that Breman had heard of the place's clientèle seemed to be absolutely true. Almost every person in the tavern was armed, some in gear that was so blatantly enchanted that it shone. Others nearly crackled with power, others seemed to be hidden, even when sitting in plain sight, and still others were shrouded in a darkness that was almost too thick to see through. Siernan didn't know how it had happened, but this tavern had become a gathering place for the powerful in the world.

Not one to be intimidated even by those more powerful than himself, Siernan moved to the end of the room and sat on one of the bar stools in front of the bar itself, Leah and Thormaine following quickly. He made a small wave to get the attention of the barkeep, and then ordered three simples ales. When the drinks arrived, he handed one to each of his companions, quickly drank his own down, and then turned to face the room. He lifted his tankard into the air, and then slammed it down against the bar, loudly.

The sound reverberated around the room, and the tavern suddenly quieted. The attention of almost everyone in the room was on him, and he quickly took advantage of it.

“Men and women of the Dragon Tavern, please, let me speak to you a moment!” he called, “I have an offer for any of you that would accept it!” At this, many immediately turned away, uninterested, but some still listened to him, so he continued.

“I hail from a city that lies in the far north, beyond even the Dwarven cities of the Mountain Kingdoms, beyond the farthest peaks of the Skyclaw Reaches. My home is a city called Telathos. The people of Telathos, however, are now afflicted by a terrible calamity. For over two decades we've been subject to attacks by hordes of creatures, legions seemingly unending in number, whose origin we do not know, and whose purposes we cannot divine. With each passing year, Telathos' lot has grown more and more desperate. Telathos has sought aid from the Mountain Kingdoms, but no such aid has been forthcoming, and there are no allies to turn to in the Frozen Wastes.

“Therefore, when our leader, Lord Breman, heard of a place where individuals whose power could be called legendary gathered, seeking gold and glory, he sent me to deliver this message. Any individuals who come to Telathos' aid in her time of need, and see her free from the tyranny of these monstrous armies, shall receive as their reward a quarter million gold pieces, as well as any loot that they should be able to claim from the hands of Telathos' enemies. Those who serve Telathos, if deemed appropriate, shall also receive a place amongst her nobility, with all the privileges and estates that such a title holds.”

Siernan paused a moment, looking across the crowd, whose attention had dwindled. He began to lose the hope that the presence of such obviously powerful individuals had engendered in him, but continued nonetheless, “My companions and I have a campsite set up a half mile to the west, in the woods beyond the markets and homes that surround this place. If any should desire to take Telathos' offer, and serve her, approach me there.”

With that, Siernan stood, not wanting to remain only to have his hopes dashed. He stalked out of the tavern, with Leah and Thormaine following in his footsteps.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Hidden in a corner of the tavern, a cloaked and hooded figure watched as the tavern doors opened emitting three individuals. At a glance, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, the middle person wearing a gray cloak and flanked by two others who seemed to be warriors of some sort. A closer inspection revealed that these people were not the average Dragon Tavern adventurer come to refresh themselves from whatever challenges they were up to. It was not so much of their physical appearance but rather of the sense of 'unease' these people carried with themselves. It took more than the average person to notice these subtle signs and the hooded ranger was certainly more so.
She watched as they made their way to the bar, shifting slightly to keep them in view. A little while later, her deductions proved to be true when the robed figure banged his tankard and shouted for the attention of the crowds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedek View Post
“Men and women of the Dragon Tavern, please, let me speak to you a moment!” he called, “I have an offer for any of you that would accept it!” At this, many immediately turned away, uninterested, but some still listened to him, so he continued....
Any individuals who come to Telathos' aid in her time of need, and see her free from the tyranny of these monstrous armies, shall receive as their reward a quarter million gold pieces, as well as any loot that they should be able to claim from the hands of Telathos' enemies. Those who serve Telathos, if deemed appropriate, shall also receive a place amongst her nobility, with all the privileges and estates that such a title holds.”
"Interesting", she thought. It was not so much of the gold and acclaim she would get that piqued her ears though. In fact, those were the very reasons she had left her home. However, "Perhaps, that would be as good a place to start looking for her.." While the hooded figure debated, she saw the trio stand up and stalk out of the tavern. Making her decision on the spur of the moment, the ranger got up, gathered her things and carefully trailed after them.
She carefully followed them, keeping to the sides of the buildings and keeping the crowd between them at the right moments. Her training as a ranger not only required her to be good at a fight but also to trail 'prey' without the slightest giveaway whether it be in the wilderness or in a town. Walking on light elven feet she followed them till they reached the town outskirts. There she halted for between the last building and the forest edge there was a small clearing where nothing would obstuct their view of her, should anyone of them turn around. Deciding to make herself known, she glanced over her shoulder to make sure no one followed and walked took a step forward. In a clear voice, she called to their retreating backs.
"Hail sorcerer!"

Character Profiles: Lysiris Farandir & Iridris Farandir

Last edited by Wyeel; 10-13-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Siernan was still disappointed by the apparently lack of a response from the denizens of the Dragon Tavern as he walked back to the rest of the group with Leah and Thormaine. He had had such high hopes, and when he had seen the sort of people who were apparently regulars at the legendary tavern, those already high hopes had soared even high. Now however, it seemed as they were in vain.

Siernan and his companions had been walking through a relatively empty piece of street when Thormaine grunted softly, catching Siernan's attention, before mumbling, "We're being followed. Got a cloak on; can't see anything."

Suspicions immediately formed in Siernan's mind, for Thormaine's instincts, those of an experience Sky Guard, were rarely wrong, but those suspicions were tempered by his memory of the offer he had just made, quite publicly. He continued walking as if Thormaine had said nothing for a moment, considering, before speaking softly in reply, "Keep an eye on whoever it is, but don't make any hostile moves unless it's obvious they mean to attack. Whoever it is might just be following to take us up on our offer."

Thormaine grunted in reply once again, and the three continued onward through the city, quickly reaching the woods. Just as they were about to pass through the tree line, they all heard a shout, "Hail, sorcerer!"

Siernan stopped in his tracks, tensing, and turned around slowly. Leah and Thormaine had quickly taken up defensive positions in front of him, prepared for the worst eventuality. The shout had apparently come from the hooded figure that stood several yards away, just past the last buildings of the small town. Little could be told from the figure's outward appearance, other than that the person in the cloak was shorter than any of the three companions.

Siernan looked at the figure for a moment, before calling back in reply, "Hail, stranger! I'm Siernan. Who might you be, and how in the Hells did you know that I'm a sorcerer?"
Old 10-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Experienced Adventurer

Send a message via AIM to Kelric Valas Send a message via Yahoo to Kelric Valas Send a message via Skype™ to Kelric Valas

Staring into his dark pint he sees the reflection of the dim-glow from his eyes in the still liquid. The man sitting at his side table pressed against the wall. Blowing out the light which agitates him more than helps him for a little more comfort. Pulling the hood firmly against his head he lets out a small sigh. Bored. The sun light has almost diminished giving him the cool air and dark alleys he desires.

The door to the tavern swings open, nothing unusual. Paying it no heed he takes a swig from his pint. As it slides down his throat it's a stern reminder if why he craves it. Hearing a loud banging noise he figures it to be the start of a bar fight. He notes the tavern becoming quiet and everyone's attentio averted.
The calm before the storm.

“Men and women of the Dragon Tavern, please, let me speak to you a moment!” he called, “I have an offer for any of you that would accept it!” At this, many immediately turned away, uninterested, but some still listened to him, so he continued....
Any individuals who come to Telathos' aid in her time of need, and see her free from the tyranny of these monstrous armies, shall receive as their reward a quarter million gold pieces, as well as any loot that they should be able to claim from the hands of Telathos' enemies. Those who serve Telathos, if deemed appropriate, shall also receive a place amongst her nobility, with all the privileges and estates that such a title holds.”

Quickly perking up at the promise of killing, treasures, and gold. He takes a final drink from his mead turning to regard the lionhearted man. Waiting for them to leave the tavern he begins to rise noting another which is just as curious as he. Another hooded person already leaving in a rush. Assuming that the figure is going to talk to the man he quickly follows suit. By the time he exits the tavern he notices the figure's technique moving through the crowd to trail the ones who left the tavern. He looks to make sure he himself didn't lose the group easily noticing one of the trio. The giant of a man which seemed to act more as a guard as he followed closely behind, and not beside the one which was speaking.

He quickly moves between two residential houses examining the walls. Seeing a window on the left building just a few feet before the roof he puts his parkour to use. He quickly jumps towards one wall using it as a springboard to simply jump to the other wall. Once he reaches the other building he continues with a firm plant of both feet springing himself back towards the first building. Expecting how much momentum he would have lost he grabs the window seal. Using one hand to open the opposite flap he climbs up into the window's small space before reaching for the roof's ledge pulling himself ontop of the building. Taking a moment to catch his breath he slowly walks towards the edge of the building until enough of the street is revealed to see the behemoth of a man he quickly begins to hop roof tops to gain pace.

You certainly are in a lively mood tonight, Son of Kaedek. It's great to see this fire inside of you! I hope the man isn't lying about this battle. Maybe he's set up an ambush and just wants to steal the belongings to anyone dumb enough to buy into his little story.
Kelric leaps across a large gap tumbling ontop of a single story buidling. Rolling to a kneel quickly calculating the chances he shakes his head.
Too unlikely. They seem well geared and such a statement would be too absurd to not be true..I hope, but that's why I'm letting the other person following them as bait. She'll fall into such ambush and give me the time I need to escape.
You're underestimating them. Don't be such a fool.
Pilch, curiosity killed the cat. Maybe it can kill the Kelric too. Aren't you the least bit curious? The silence is all he needed. His wraith doesn't admit defeat feeling it to be too superior. The attitude also rubbing off on its master.

He continues his form of tailing as he leaps from from a single storied building landing and clinging to a balcony of a two storied home. Using the railing as a boost he jumps up clinging to yet another ledge bringing him to the roof. Momentarily losing sight of his target brings him close to exposure refinding his mark. Seeing the trio come to a stop and being confronted by the hooded figure Kelric moves into a distance where he can listen in. The distance between the two on the ground assures him that their voices will be raised enough for him to hear their words.

"Hail, stranger! I'm Siernan. Who might you be, and how in the Hells did you know that I'm a sorcerer?"

Never really used to jumping from two stories Kelric lets out a little girly scream before he hits the ground in a tumble. Regaining his composure almost immediately. Catching his breath while shaking the ache out of his bare fingers he steps within a few meters of the unknown figure.

Standing at 5'11 Kelric keeps his hood tucked over his face. Casting a shadow over his face while stilling being high enough to allow his glowing green eyes to peer out.

"Simple... Take a look at the size...and equipment of your guards...and then look at yourself. Kelric says panting in mid sentence more exhausted than he expected.
I'm going to make you do that every day until it doesn't bother you anymore.
Fine..then get me some gloves with the capability of protecting my fingers and still with such reliable gripping capabilities and we'll call it a deal.
Seems to be in a forever argument with his wraith in his own mind.

Last edited by Kelric Valas; 10-13-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Experienced Adventurer

"Hail, stranger! I'm Siernan. Who might you be, and how in the Hells did you know that I'm a sorcerer?"
She was thinking how best to answer such an obvious question (well, to her), when a girly scream, which grated her nerves cried out into the air, followed by a loud thud announced the arrival of a another.
"Simple... Take a look at the size...and equipment of your guards...and then look at yourself."
The ranger wasn't surprised when that clumsy oaf tumbled out of the sky and landed next to her. Such an opportunity rarely never attracts attention of people seeking quests. The ranger shifted herself so she can look at the stranger from out of the corner of her eye. As she did so, the sun caught on the gilded hilts of two swords which were strapped to her back in a cross fashion.
Her gaze never leaving Siernan, she spoke, "Well put stranger. It seems our friend here has been too busy with his homeland that he has forgotten to see life the way we adventurers see it". Adding, this time to the trio, "but I do not fault you, if this is true that your homeland is under threat, then none can blame you for your ignorance", she said this as the corners of her lips curled up ever so slightly into a smile. Not a mocking one, but rather, it gave the onlooker the impression that she was amused by something particularly... amusing.
Reaching up, she lowered her hood revealing the angular and high cheeked features of an elf. Sharp almond shaped eyes held the trio with their deep blue gaze. Pale blue hair, almost white, which was tied back and hidden within the folds of the hood, glittered in the morning sun. Along her right eye, a tattoo in the form of vines and leaves ran to her cheek and curled towards her jaw. The begining tendrils of a ranger's Marks could be seen on her slim exquisite neck, which seemed to flow out from her cloak.
With the slight smile still colouring her face, the ranger crossed her arms over her chest and bowed in the elven way of greeting*, and in a clear, deep but richly toned voice said, "Mae govannen Siernan! Well met my friend. I am Iridris Windsong, ranger of Thundermount Watch and if your story is true, I'd like to offer my services in aiding you and your country." . Straightening up, she continued, "forgive me if I have insulted you in any way, for I was only jesting", she said before returning her serious expression to her face.

*This form of greeting may differ slightly or by alot depending on where the elf hailed from.

Character Profiles: Lysiris Farandir & Iridris Farandir

Last edited by Wyeel; 10-16-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Adventurer

Men and women of the Dragon Tavern, please, let me speak to you a moment!” he called, “I have an offer for any of you that would accept it!” At this, many immediately turned away, uninterested, but some still listened to him, so he continued....

Seated at one of the larger tables in the room, a thickly bearded and armoured man turns to his fourteen companions. "Well, lads? Seems like a fine fight, and no small amount of gold, either. Shall we look into the job?" The big man stands and looks down at his companions, still seated at the table. Behind him he hears chairs being pushed back, as others leave the tavern, looking to take advantage of the offer.

Looking around the table, he saw his men nod in agreement. "Why not? They seemed nervous enough to lend their story credence. And besides...there's little enough excitement around here." These words come from a smaller man, sitting across the table from Callimachus, wiry and scarred. The fourteen men rise, and taking their polearms in hand, follow their leader from the tavern.

Outside, Callimachus just sees the red hair the the huge man who had accompanied the speaker as the walk away. He points in the direction they had gone. "That way! Move quickly!" He calls to his men, as he sets off after them. The fifteen soldiers walk quickly through the people in the streets, hoping to catch up with the men who were making such an attractive offer. As they approach, there is a girly scream as a shadow casts itself from a roof near the group. There is another figure standing with them as the fifteen approach. It seems they are not the first to catch up with the potential employer. Callimachus gives a hand sign to spread out into a wider formation, and strides forward, followed by his men.

"...way, for I was only jesting", The speaker's voice was musical. Callimachus catches the tail end of the statement as he draws near, stopping some way behind the speaker. His hand rests on the hilt of his sword, and he chuckles softly to himself. He doubts that it was truly a jest, whatever it was. Who needs to explain that a joke was a joke, if joke it truly was? "Mage! Hail!" he calls to the grey-cloaked man, guessing that with such guards, and no obvious armour, the man must be a mage of some sort.

Success is measured in blood; Yours or your enemy's.

Last edited by The Bellmaker; 10-13-2008 at 03:55 PM.